2016 Pioneer 700 worn out at 4300 miles??

M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Noticed I'm using oil at 4300 miles, 2 quarts between changes (at 500-600 mile intervals. My extended warranty expires in 20 days. My dealer tells me it's worn out and needs the top end done and it probably won't be covered if I bring it to them. Never skipped or skimped on service. NEVER over 600 miles, always near 500. Is this common? I am in shock at the moment. I thought I'd get better service out of it than this. Thoughts?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My thoughts are, that youve been a member on here since Christ was a corporal, 2 post and never any pics to see this machine u speak of! Nice to see you back on btw.

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! ;)

Take it to another dealer for a second opinion and another if you have too! You bought the ext warranty!

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Why is it worn prematurely? Dirt ingestion? Lack of lubrication? Piston ring broken?

This is what you need answered, just saying it's worn out and needs a rebuild is bulls***.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Maybe he's trying to make up for lost sales due to covid but I agree, that's a bunch of oil usage. I'd want to know what's causing it before I shelled out for a rebuild when there's Pioneers out there with 10K plus miles on them. You didn't clearly state that you're the original owner??? Has it been submerged? Somethings fishy here but.... stranger things have happened... cough, cough, camshaft at 700 miles....sorry, I had a frog in my throat. They (Honda) fought me on that deal. I ended up getting them (the dealer) to cover the labor if I paid parts.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Noticed I'm using oil at 4300 miles, 2 quarts between changes (at 500-600 mile intervals. My extended warranty expires in 20 days. My dealer tells me it's worn out and needs the top end done and it probably won't be covered if I bring it to them. Never skipped or skimped on service. NEVER over 600 miles, always near 500. Is this common? I am in shock at the moment. I thought I'd get better service out of it than this. Thoughts?
If it's under warranty it under warranty raise hell you got 20 days

M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Why is it worn prematurely? Dirt ingestion? Lack of lubrication? Piston ring broken?

This is what you need answered, just saying it's worn out and needs a rebuild is bulls***.

Maybe he's trying to make up for lost sales due to covid but I agree, that's a bunch of oil usage. I'd want to know what's causing it before I shelled out for a rebuild when there's Pioneers out there with 10K plus miles on them. You didn't clearly state that you're the original owner??? Has it been submerged? Somethings fishy here but.... stranger things have happened... cough, cough, camshaft at 700 miles....sorry, I had a frog in my throat. They (Honda) fought me on that deal. I ended up getting them (the dealer) to cover the labor if I paid parts.
Original owner, never submerged although I have winched 2 out. I'm going to change it again and monitor real close. No smoke from exhaust, tail pipe dry. Like I stated on another post this all started when I brought it home from the dealership after they changed the rear rotor for loud chatter. Noticed it was sluggish on hills and take off. Checked oil and it was barely touching the stick. I attributed it to they forgot to top off after repair. I changed it about 120 miles prior. Now 240 miles later I'm adding a quart again.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope, not normal. I have a good friend in the timber business that bought one in 2014. He never serviced it regularly due to being busy and he beat the piss out of that rig. Loading it down with 4 guys and driving in and out of job sites, driving it 15 miles to his camp pulling a 12’ trailer and zero turn to mow grass. His engine gave up around 14,000 miles and then had it rebuilt and put another 6 or 7k on it before upgrading to a 1000-5. The 700 is built pretty tough.

M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nope, not normal. I have a good friend in the timber business that bought one in 2014. He never serviced it regularly due to being busy and he beat the piss out of that rig. Loading it down with 4 guys and driving in and out of job sites, driving it 15 miles to his camp pulling a 12’ trailer and zero turn to mow grass. His engine gave up around 14,000 miles and then had it rebuilt and put another 6 or 7k on it before upgrading to a 1000-5. The 700 is built pretty tough.
Another comment was "these are nothing more than lawn mower engines and you guys expect to get 100,000 miles out of them."

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Another comment was "these are nothing more than lawn mower engines and you guys expect to get 100,000 miles out of them."
Must be a multi dealer huh? Sounds like he might be use to working on Polaris. Yep push the issue with good dealer, if nothing then get on the Honda helpline and raise hell.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Must be a multi dealer huh? Sounds like he might be use to working on Polaris. Yep push the issue with good dealer, if nothing then get on the Honda helpline and raise hell.
Agree don't waste time cause it's literally money in this case. It's on you now.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's funny because Honda has about 15% of the lawn mower business but 85% of the construction Industrial business, with their GP Engines.

Go to the World Of Concrete Convention in Las Vegas and you will see the dominance of Honda GP engines.

And why is that? Because they hold up the best under the worst conditions.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd expect 20,000 AZ miles with ease. That said, @CumminsPusher and others have commented that the 1000 is a more automotive like plain bearing engine which will last a long time with care. That and the higher gearing.

That appeals to me as much as anything about the 1k. Down here in the phoenix valley where there are basically 2-3 months where you can't ride it's not too bad, but in certain areas where riding is year round...if I pay only the payment amount, I end up with a machine with 10-15k miles on it by the time it's paid for.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'd expect 20,000 AZ miles with ease. That said, @CumminsPusher and others have commented that the 1000 is a more automotive like plain bearing engine which will last a long time with care. That and the higher gearing.

That appeals to me as much as anything about the 1k. Down here in the phoenix valley where there are basically 2-3 months where you can't ride it's not too bad, but in certain areas where riding is year round...if I pay only the payment amount, I end up with a machine with 10-15k miles on it by the time it's paid for.
I would expect 3-4k hours on a fuel injected engine maintained properly.

And the piston rings would be the first thing to give up.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it smoking? 2 qts over 600 miles it should be smoking pretty bad.
And no it should not be worn out at 4k

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 qts of oil in 600 miles on a single cylinder engine it should be puking oil out of exhaust and smoking bad thats alot of oil. makes no sense at all if exhaust is dry and it's not smoking where is all the oil going. I call bs u might wanna read your owners manual And make sure your cking it right

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My thoughts are, that youve been a member on here since Christ was a corporal, 2 post and never any pics to see this machine u speak of! Nice to see you back on btw.

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! ;)
ROTFLMAO 🤣

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!