P1000m5 2017 P1K5LE - Bellows or Extend Lines?

UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if the 2017 1000-5LE will need the same mods with vent lines as the 2016 and earlier models?

I have been reading a bit in the different forums, and did note that one conversion to bellows caused problems. Was that a coincidence? Or could it be caused by improper bellow install, or bellows too stiff to accommodate the change in atmospheres.

Extending lines seems to be a practical method, bellows seems easier.

How much water are we talking here to threaten the vents anyway? Why wouldnt they extend them or bellow the ports during manufacturing?

And while on topic... snorkeling the air intake chamber.... I cant see me wading much more than over top of the tires (maybe if mumma isnt with me :) .... should I consider snorkeling?

Thoughts?

Reactions: Upstatefreedom
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had the bellows cause the issue with the rear diff. They could not expand enough on at 95° day while running 40+ miles an hour. Then take into consideration that the rear differential is only 1 inch away from the muffler, so it builds up a lot of heat. It pushed the pinion seal out. It's not hard at all to extend the vent lines, just go ahead and do it that way.

J

JTW

I just extended mine the other night.. no big deal. Super easy if you order a kit from one of the guys on here. $30 is well worth it not to have to go hunting for the parts.

Reactions: pct and chadbo
Smidgy

Smidgy

May 10, 2017
New Brunswick
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at kits online and they were going to cost me 120 bucks to get shipped to Canada. Everyone says it is super easy, what all are we talking about hear? Maybe I could source the parts locally a lot cheaper

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had the bellows cause the issue with the rear diff. They could not expand enough on at 95° day while running 40+ miles an hour. Then take into consideration that the rear differential is only 1 inch away from the muffler, so it builds up a lot of heat. It pushed the pinion seal out. It's not hard at all to extend the vent lines, just go ahead and do it that way.

Ditto, extend the lines.

Reactions: dale5740
SheepCreekAK

SheepCreekAK

Apr 20, 2016
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if the 2017 1000-5LE will need the same mods with vent lines as the 2016 and earlier models?

I have been reading a bit in the different forums, and did note that one conversion to bellows caused problems. Was that a coincidence? Or could it be caused by improper bellow install, or bellows too stiff to accommodate the change in atmospheres.

Extending lines seems to be a practical method, bellows seems easier.

How much water are we talking here to threaten the vents anyway? Why wouldnt they extend them or bellow the ports during manufacturing?

And while on topic... snorkeling the air intake chamber.... I cant see me wading much more than over top of the tires (maybe if mumma isnt with me :) .... should I consider snorkeling?

Thoughts?
I used a bellow in the shift linkage box and extended the rest. i wish i had done it before trying to cross a river last year that was a little deeper than i thought. 3 oil changes later in the trans to get the water out and i had a lot of water in the fuel cell and rear end but the front end vent ends up by the steering column so it was good. snorkel is next. 1000 miles on it and running strong.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
IMG 3392
front diff with bellow installed properly! Also rear diff pushed out a pinion seal (I assume) can say people are having problems from the pinion seal because of bellows but.... how many have pinion seal issues with vent lines vs bellows? Im switching to vent lines now. I think that the bellows are to hard and don't expand or coatrack easily enough or not enough volume. I am also a guy who doesn't do much deep water riding just the occasional creek ride etc. I have no need for a snorkel or any plans for that at this time.

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
vent lines with small filter on the end works great with no problems.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have posted this before but will again... I thought the same as you, I don't do deep water, no need for a snorkel! Then one day as I was skirting a deep mud hole, I found out the sides of said mud hole were quite steep and slippery. The buggy simply slid down and ended up on it's side in 4 feet of muddy water. It ingested water into the air intake and the crank case, and hydrolocked. Needless to say, it's now snorkled, and I'm wondering how much damage was sustained to the internals... PS: It was brand new at the time!

Reactions: Mudwing
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 109714 front diff with bellow installed properly! Also rear diff pushed out a pinion seal (I assume) can say people are having problems from the pinion seal because of bellows but.... how many have pinion seal issues with vent lines vs bellows? Im switching to vent lines now. I think that the bellows are to hard and don't expand or coatrack easily enough or not enough volume. I am also a guy who doesn't do much deep water riding just the occasional creek ride etc. I have no need for a snorkel or any plans for that at this time.

That stinks. I’m sorry for your troubles. I posted the same issues I had with that a couple years ago.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
thanks joey, question when the seal blew out on yours did it leak real quick after that or just a bit. reason Im asking is I just found it yesterday (front sucked in water I think because bellow is to stiff, maybe if I used ear clamp it would have been ok not sure on that) but rear was down to just a couple ounces left in it. question is if I filled up the rear and just ran a vent do you think I could get through a day of riding?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I will be going with ear clamps and vent lines when I fix everything? Anyone recommend a certain style line to use and inside diameter?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
thanks joey, question when the seal blew out on yours did it leak real quick after that or just a bit. reason Im asking is I just found it yesterday (front sucked in water I think because bellow is to stiff, maybe if I used ear clamp it would have been ok not sure on that) but rear was down to just a couple ounces left in it. question is if I filled up the rear and just ran a vent do you think I could get through a day of riding?

The rear seal on mine blew out fast and started pouring oil.

My front vent hose plugged up with something even with a small engine fuel filter on the end. That one just barely seeped oil.

Ditch the bellows and never look back!

Buy from the forum member that sells the vent extension kit. It will cover everything.

The Original Vent Extension kit

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The rear seal on mine blew out fast and started pouring oil.

My front vent hose plugged up with something even with a small engine fuel filter on the end. That one just barely seeped oil.

Ditch the bellows and never look back!

Buy from the forum member that sells the vent extension kit. It will cover everything.

The Original Vent Extension kit
Thanks Joey

Reactions: joeymt33
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
so right off the trailer only 10 min in broke the upper ball joint 3 hour ride for nothing!IMG 3412IMG 3417IMG 3402 IMG 3397

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
so right off the trailer only 10 min in broke the upper ball joint 3 hour ride for nothing!View attachment 110157View attachment 110158View attachment 110159 View attachment 110160
so right off the trailer only 10 min in broke the upper ball joint 3 hour ride for nothing!View attachment 110157View attachment 110158View attachment 110159 View attachment 110160

Screen Shot 6

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!