P1000 Flip up or Flip down?

Tie

Tie

Jun 5, 2022
Toronto
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good day all,

I have read many good things about the SuperATV Flip up windshield... Has anyone got experience with the Flip Down option with the removable upper half?
Starting to make some decisions on my machine... grateful for everyone's input!

Tie

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good afternoon a friend of mine at deer camp has the flip down and it is either off in the summer, or completely up or down the rest of the year and another guy at camp has the Honda flip up and it doesn't open wide enough with the Honda hinges I got the super ATV flip up last year and love it!! I can have it complete down or open enough to get good air flow or all the way up/open
( its the best of both ) both of the guys at camp said there switching to the super ATV for what is worth in your thoughts

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Good day all,

I have read many good things about the SuperATV Flip up windshield... Has anyone got experience with the Flip Down option with the removable upper half?

Tie
I have had both, Had the SATV flip up on Pioneer 1000 loved it stays pretty clean when open. My current machine came with the flip down dealer installed before I bought it, the inside folded down gets spattered with water mud etc. needing cleaned every time you do put it up.

I definitely would not recommend a flip down even at $100 less the the SATV flip up version.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the SATV flip up on my P1000-3 love it but.... I also had the flip down on my Defender XMR. In 80-100 degree temperature the flip down wins every time 100%. I'm thinking of removing the top of my SATV during the summer. Its moves around like crazy when opened all the way. The gap settings on the SATV help but the P1000 still gets very hot.

Best of luck !

Rudy

Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the flip-down camp. I never liked the way flip-ups open partially, and if you want them to open more you need that bigass extender. Then its sticking out there when you're cutting through tight trails and branches.

With the flip-down, its wide open and out of the way.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And with the flip-up, the windshield is still in my sight line. When I first got my machine with no windshield at all, I really enjoyed the open-air experience and thought I'd probably not get a windshield at all. Then Summer wound down and it became obvious that I needed one.

So the flip-down more closely replicates that open-air experience. In fact, I'd be happy if I could flip down the bottom half as well, to fully open it up.

Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And with the flip-up, the windshield is still in my sight line. When I first got my machine with no windshield at all, I really enjoyed the open-air experience and thought I'd probably not get a windshield at all. Then Summer wound down and it became obvious that I needed one.

So the flip-down more closely replicates that open-air experience. In fact, I'd be happy if I could flip down the bottom half as well, to fully open it up.
That open air experience is not so great when its pooring rain. With the flip up, it keeps the rain out nicely while riding. If it gets too wet inside, close it partially, or all the way. The SAT flip up windshield is the only way to go, imo.

Reactions: WagginTail
M

mkbcoolman

Feb 28, 2022
Dallas, TX
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've got the SATV Flip up on my Talon to replace a glass windshield the previous owner had installed. It's phenomenal, in my opinion. It's sturdy, easy to operate, and it just does the job it's supposed to do. It works awesome in rain or running through mud.

Reactions: bs4u00
D

Docwilles

Sep 30, 2020
McGill Nevada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am in the flip down camp, I have a Clearly Tough windshield and I really like the full air experience with it down and completely out of my line of sight and also that it is literally a one minute stop to put it up when I want it.

Tie

Tie

Jun 5, 2022
Toronto
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow! This is quite a response.... thank all of you for your input! It seems there are definitely two different trains of thought. I just got my machine this summer and have been riding it with no roof or windshield... which, like P1K5Dave, I have thoroughly enjoyed! Like him, I am not sure that I want to cover up... but also like him, I live north and in the fall, sounds like a good idea for sure.
It sounds like either way there will be people thinking I am crazy!
At this point leaning towards the SuperATV tinted roof, and the fold down windshield... even though it seems like the fold up is more popular. I wonder now it stays up and open when traveling at higher speeds or over bumpy terrain?

Ok... ready for the critics... bring it on! :)

Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts!
Tie

B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the hard plastic Honda roof, and its great. It fit well during installation too.I don't know anything about the SATV roof; I don't they offered one when I was in the market for one.
For the SATV flip up windshield, it has two arms that are pressurized that go in and out. They hold it open when riding and going over bumps, etc. That was my question too, before I got it. But it has been flawless for the 5 years I've had it. Rock solid. Only thing is that the windshield has to be closed when trailering it. Its also super easy to close while riding, where as someone mentioned having to stop and take a minute to close the flip down windshield.
The fold down seemed like it would get dirty easier and it would break easier if something fell on it while open. But not sure about that.

Reactions: JFID
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Y’all need to go naked!

Seriously!

I have the Honda flip out for the first two years…I only put it on for the winter snow plowing now. Heat and dust were awful with it and panels.

In the summer I run a Rogue power screen to keep the bugs and dirt at bay. I’m usually wearing glasses and a helmet anyway. No more sweating your junk off.

Reactions: GovtMule
GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s what I’ve been doing. Took the Honda flip out off until it gets colder. I’ll put it on then.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those screens are pretty cool. Not cheap tho! Dang...

I have to admit that I've really gotten to like having the windshield to put back up at night when riding in the 60s.

Reactions: Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those screens are pretty cool. Not cheap tho! Dang...

I have to admit that I've really gotten to like having the windshield to put back up at night when riding in the 60s.
Yeah I got mine before they really took off in price. Mines on its 4th season. Should be able to get a few more yet.

dead tree branches are really hard on it….no give or flex.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Good day all,

Tie
I have flip down on my Pioneer / SATV FLIP up on my Talon / full glass fold down on my RZR . If the SATV flip would have been first instead of last , they would all have SATV FLIP . Oh , BTW , The plexi flip down on the Pioneer is my LEAST FAVORITE by far .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!