P500 2017 seatbelt safety disable

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I just plug seat belt in and sit ON it but I actually want the limiter active for "certain" people that may drive it.

Reactions: CAD16
N

ncemt237

May 1, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
well, i noticed when i test drove the 700 that they had the seatbelt pluged in just like that, but i didnt think anything of it

Reactions: mrjeff42
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just plug seat belt in and sit ON it but I actually want the limiter active for "certain" people that may drive it.

Like this?
E026A93E F2C7 4745 BA95 626B2E7B5AE5

Reactions: mrjeff42
32690taylor

32690taylor

Nov 27, 2017
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok.. so I hated that every time I jumped in the pioneer to run from the house to garage or around the farm, the unhooked seatbelt would auto engage the 14mph speed limit feature. That's dumb!!!

So tonight I disconnected it.. all you need is a T10 torx.

First..
unscrew all four T10 torx screws from the back of the seatbelt.

Behind the cover you'll find a wire going to a magnetic sensor.. there is another half to this on the opposite cover.

Remove the sensor side that does NOT have the wire going to it. It simply slides in and out.

This will disable the seatbelt warning and auto speed limiter.

Replace the cover and tighten screws. You now have disabled the stupid safety feature for the 2017 pioneer 500. I'm sure the 700 and 1000 models work the same.

***NOTE*** under the seats there is a plastic cowling. If the cowling is removed and you follow the seatbelt wire back, you'll find a plug connection. You cannot simply unplug the sensor from the wiring harness by the seat belts. This will simply cause the seatbelt warning to stay on regardless of the belt being buckled.

This was a prefect time to remove the ridged drivers seatbelt buckle and replace it with a floppy style.. Thanks to @Jshell3!!! This allows me to now use the full bench seat with no obstructions, as can be done in the 2015 & 2016 p500's.

View attachment 24700 View attachment 24701 View attachment 24702 View attachment 24712 View attachment 24713 View attachment 24715 View attachment 24716
Thanks for the tip. Works well on a P 1000 also

Reactions: JTW
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
i had a 2016 500, hated the thing.... But i never wore the seat belt, and was never speed limited..... just went to a 2018 700.... wife called me tonight and said it all the sudden wont go past 11 or so, so i asked here and was informed about the limiter... first i heard of it... stupid people and their stupid safety... lol
I don't think it has anything to do with safety, more about lawyers and customers not taking responsibility for their actions. Cheaper to add the limiter than go to court because someone was doing something they shouldn't have done, wasn't wearing a seat belt, and then blames the manufacturer for allowing them to do it. It's the world we live in, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Trapper5885
W

wildbill321

Oct 31, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
It didn't work on my 2017 P500. 30 miles on it, can't go past 13 mph. I even held both pieces together so my switch must be bad.

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Really?it worked on my 2017 in fact I use it to hold post it notes on my refrigerator
They also sell just the metal piece of your seat belt that you just plug in and leave it
20181215 181113

Reactions: Gassygordo
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
If I ever get around to thermal-vacuum-forming a new dash cover with several spots for switches I think I'll have a spot for a seat belt latch over-ride button for that option when I want it. Just hit the button, it will be lit telling me the seat belt safety has been over ridden.
There is a site that makes round custom buttons that you can have your own custom graphics and labels put on, a bit pricey but so what it's only money :rolleyes:.

J

JTW

If I ever get around to thermal-vacuum-forming a new dash cover with several spots for switches I think I'll have a spot for a seat belt latch over-ride button for that option when I want it. Just hit the button, it will be lit telling me the seat belt safety has been over ridden.
There is a site that makes round custom buttons that you can have your own custom graphics and labels put on, a bit pricey but so what it's only money :rolleyes:.
OTRATTW

W

wildbill321

Oct 31, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
My problem is the seatbelt is being used and the light is on and can't go over 13mph.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
My problem is the seatbelt is being used and the light is on and can't go over 13mph.
In the first post of this thread JTW stated:

***NOTE*** under the seats there is a plastic cowling. If the cowling is removed and you follow the seatbelt wire back, you'll find a plug connection. You cannot simply unplug the sensor from the wiring harness by the seat belts. This will simply cause the seatbelt warning to stay on regardless of the belt being buckled.

Have you looked to see if this connector is connected?
If it is connected perhaps the magnetically activated switch in the latch is bad. I would guess that the switch is "normally open" and the circuit would be "closed" when the seatbelt is latched. If so, you could put a jumper in the socket to close the circuit. If that doesn't work the problem may be in the ECM.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!