P700 2018 700-4 Noise

Hphillips65

Hphillips65

Aug 7, 2018
Hilton, Ny
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just into my first weekend owning my new 700-4 Deluxe, and I notice an annoying squeal from the engine/exhaust when the machine is running idle. It becomes louder and more noticeable when I push on the accelerator. Has anyone had the same issue or heard of anyone have similar noises from the engine?? It goes to the shop on Monday and would like to have some sort of direction for them.
Thanks!!

Superfan75

Superfan75

Jul 16, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-4
I read someone else who had an exhaust noise similar to what your describing and it was loose exhaust clamps. It would be something that's easy to fix if that ends up being the problem and it could save you a trip to the dealer. Good luck figuring this out.

Reactions: Hphillips65
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 700 P2...and I am not sure about the noise..I didn't have that at new or now a year later. Maybe you could post an video example with the noise. I'm sure it is nothing major. As others have said ..probably one of the heat shields..Not long after I bought mine, I went around an checked all the fasteners, nuts, bolts , etc.

Reactions: Hphillips65
Hphillips65

Hphillips65

Aug 7, 2018
Hilton, Ny
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks guys for the input. I had to take it to the shop today cause they had to install the roof and windshield. They said they tightened some exhaust clamps. Well, that didn’t work cause the squeak is still there. I will get a vid posted next time I get it out. Thanks again!

Reactions: Deluxe700
Hphillips65

Hphillips65

Aug 7, 2018
Hilton, Ny
Ownership

1. 700-4
I recorded the sound tonight. Here’s the YouTube link. Driving me NUTS.

Reactions: Visual
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Check the clamps again. Make sure the overrun on the clamps isn't rubbing something. Also check the big clamp on the pipe down in front of the O2 sensor (2 bolts).
Rocks in the skid pkate or near the cradle? Sounds very "tinny"...like the shields.

If you can't seem to track it down, I'd pull the shields temporarily to see if it goes away.
One last thing: the early models had a baffle that would come loose in the muffler, and I can see it making that sound. You'll have to pull the spark arrester to see it.

katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
I recorded the sound tonight. Here’s the YouTube link. Driving me NUTS.
FWIW- I had the same noise with my new 2019 700-4 Deluxe. I loosened the clamp that joins the front and rear exhaust pipe sections and the sound went away. With this joint loose you can see the two sections of exhaust twist and joint expand/contract as you rev the motor. I pulled the rear section away (careful with the O2 sensor!) and wrapped the part of the front pipe that gets clamped with some graphite gasket tape. Reconnected the exhaust pieces and tightened the clamp. Sound is gone- I can’t believe how quiet this thing runs now!

Reactions: Pete and Russ989
katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
CB399419 F697 4098 97CB 4E8E20E39FE7
FWIW- I had the same noise with my new 2019 700-4 Deluxe. I loosened the clamp that joins the front and rear exhaust pipe sections and the sound went away. With this joint loose you can see the two sections of exhaust twist and joint expand/contract as you rev the motor. I pulled the rear section away (careful with the O2 sensor!) and wrapped the part of the front pipe that gets clamped with some graphite gasket tape. Reconnected the exhaust pieces and tightened the clamp. Sound is gone- I can’t believe how quiet this thing runs now!

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like mine, hasn't bothered me enough to dig into it yet. Good tip on the coupling, will look at it.

Reactions: caverat
tculbertson13

tculbertson13

Nov 14, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounded like mine too. I tightened those 2 clamp bolts last night and the squeak went away.

Visual

Visual

Nov 16, 2020
Great Lake State
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi Everyone,
I know this post is a little old, but seemingly still quite relevant. New forum guy here, and new to the Pioneer; lifelong Honda boy though!

I have a new 2021 Pioneer 700-4 (SXS700M4) about 11 hours total, still in break-in period, that has been exhibiting the exact chirping noise so perfectly recorded by the OP here.

A google search brought me to this thread.

I figured I'd let you all know this was my exact issue as well; tightened the exhaust clamp bolts a bit and *poof* noise gone.

For troubleshooting's sake, the noise was certainly defined as a "chirp", no squealing or clunking at all. The noise persisted in either 2wd, 4wd, or 4wd lock. I rarely heard it at idle but upon light to medium acceleration the noise was consistent. I was originally thinking driveshafts, but veered away from this diagnosis as the noise did not increase/decrease with RPM or speed; telling me it was more stationary item. I thought perhaps brake pads/rotor as others mentioned, but again thought it odd no increase/decrease with speed/RPM.

Thanks much to @Hphillips65 for posting the original issue/concern and the video, and big thanks to @katphishbob for posting the fix (for my issue at least)!

V

Vstingray

Dec 1, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just into my first weekend owning my new 700-4 Deluxe, and I notice an annoying squeal from the engine/exhaust when the machine is running idle. It becomes louder and more noticeable when I push on the accelerator. Has anyone had the same issue or heard of anyone have similar noises from the engine?? It goes to the shop on Monday and would like to have some sort of direction for them.
Thanks!!
I found the squeak in mine today. The tail end of the clamps were bent down rubbing against the actual clamp. I bent those away from the clamp on all of the connections and everything seems to be fine now no noises

Visual

Visual

Nov 16, 2020
Great Lake State
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi Everyone,
I know this post is a little old, but seemingly still quite relevant. New forum guy here, and new to the Pioneer; lifelong Honda boy though!

I have a new 2021 Pioneer 700-4 (SXS700M4) about 11 hours total, still in break-in period, that has been exhibiting the exact chirping noise so perfectly recorded by the OP here.

A google search brought me to this thread.

I figured I'd let you all know this was my exact issue as well; tightened the exhaust clamp bolts a bit and *poof* noise gone.

For troubleshooting's sake, the noise was certainly defined as a "chirp", no squealing or clunking at all. The noise persisted in either 2wd, 4wd, or 4wd lock. I rarely heard it at idle but upon light to medium acceleration the noise was consistent. I was originally thinking driveshafts, but veered away from this diagnosis as the noise did not increase/decrease with RPM or speed; telling me it was more stationary item. I thought perhaps brake pads/rotor as others mentioned, but again thought it odd no increase/decrease with speed/RPM.

Thanks much to @Hphillips65 for posting the original issue/concern and the video, and big thanks to @katphishbob for posting the fix (for my issue at least)!
I wanted to post a quick update to this nuisance noise. My chirp returned, or perhaps never left completely.

I ended up tightening the entire heat shield clamps across the exhaust from head to muffler, which seems to be the issue/root cause.

If I apply just a small amount of pressure to any part of the heat shield the chirp immediately ceases.
After tightening however, the slight chirp is still there. I'm wondering if I need to torque the header bolts a bit. I'll check them and let y'all know!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm at war with this exhaust. Whoever designed it should be slapped until his/her face bleeds. Probably surfer dude Lambert from the lawnmower division.
@Hphillips65 video captures it perfectly. I can tighten the bolts at the joint, but that only lasts a short time. Flexing in this area seems to be the culprit.
I spent most of the ride today experimenting with this, and I'm wondering if I should start over with new gaskets and use 3 auto style exhaust clamps in that area. I'm getting ready to go apes*** on it with an impact gun.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!