P700 2018 700-4 Noise

katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi! Here’s a good point of reference. This photo shows to o.d. of the graphite gasket to be about 1 3/4” and this is what fits inside of the pipe you are thinking of expanding.

A schematic of this and related parts at:

Since the pipe into which this graphite gasket fits is split, it shouldn’t take a special tool to spread it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Glock21user
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
The only concern I would have is that the pipe will split before it expands enough to be of any good.
It is a stainless steel most likely a 304 or 316.
They do not like to stretch much.

Reactions: Mudwing
Visual

Visual

Nov 16, 2020
Great Lake State
Ownership

1. 700-4
After fidgeting with the OEM clamp and gasket, and constantly hearing the chirp from these parts slipping against one another, I went with a new exhaust!

Let me know how many of you have this semi-custom setup! :) I plan to shoot a line over to Yoshimura to show them this as well, who knows, maybe they'll send me a shirt?!

I installed the Yoshimura RS-2 system 🤘
This system was sold only for the 2014 model only, due to the lack of O2 bung.
It's full Stainless Steel (unknown on SS304 or SS316).
I had a friend TIG weld in an SS O2 bung (Amazon link), motorcycle thread pitch size (M12x1.25).

The fit is amazing, perfect, as you'll find with cross referencing other exhaust systems, the fit itself is from 2014 through 2021. I had zero issues with alignment on mount holes or any issues with the muffler pipe aligning and mating with the header pipe and Yoshi muffler itself.

It's certainly louder than the OEM muffler, to be expected. My wife says it sounds like a dirt bike if you don't see it LOL! You won't be wanting this to go hunting, but in my opinion, the stock OEM exhaust wasn't all that quiet to be begin with, especially under load or higher RPM. It's louder when riding in the machine, but when I was in my yard and others were driving it, I did not find it all that loud at all; it seems the exhaust note drops off pretty quickly as it exits the baffle.

I have at least a few hours with the system on, riding, driving, working it, towing a trailer, etc., no engine light or codes thus far. Runs great, starts right up, no backfiring from being too lean or blubbering from being too rich; at any point I've noticed throughout the RPM range.

I've attached some pics, I took from my phone before and after installation.
Here are a few links to my YouTube channel (more to come!) with video/audio:
OEM Exhaust Sound Link
Yoshimura Exhaust Sound Link

PXL 20210630 163528434 PXL 20210630 200547691 PXL 20210630 200811536 PXL 20210630 193224541 PXL 20210630 202726011 PXL 20210630 202734762

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After fidgeting with the OEM clamp and gasket, and constantly hearing the chirp from these parts slipping against one another, I went with a new exhaust!

Let me know how many of you have this semi-custom setup! :) I plan to shoot a line over to Yoshimura to show them this as well, who knows, maybe they'll send me a shirt?!

I installed the Yoshimura RS-2 system 🤘
This system was sold only for the 2014 model only, due to the lack of O2 bung.
It's full Stainless Steel (unknown on SS304 or SS316).
I had a friend TIG weld in an SS O2 bung (Amazon link), motorcycle thread pitch size (M12x1.25).

The fit is amazing, perfect, as you'll find with cross referencing other exhaust systems, the fit itself is from 2014 through 2021. I had zero issues with alignment on mount holes or any issues with the muffler pipe aligning and mating with the header pipe and Yoshi muffler itself.

It's certainly louder than the OEM muffler, to be expected. My wife says it sounds like a dirt bike if you don't see it LOL! You won't be wanting this to go hunting, but in my opinion, the stock OEM exhaust wasn't all that quiet to be begin with, especially under load or higher RPM. It's louder when riding in the machine, but when I was in my yard and others were driving it, I did not find it all that loud at all; it seems the exhaust note drops off pretty quickly as it exits the baffle.

I have at least a few hours with the system on, riding, driving, working it, towing a trailer, etc., no engine light or codes thus far. Runs great, starts right up, no backfiring from being too lean or blubbering from being too rich; at any point I've noticed throughout the RPM range.

I've attached some pics, I took from my phone before and after installation.
Here are a few links to my YouTube channel (more to come!) with video/audio:
OEM Exhaust Sound Link
Yoshimura Exhaust Sound Link

View attachment 283661 View attachment 283663 View attachment 283664 View attachment 283667 View attachment 283668 View attachment 283669
Looks great!

Reactions: Visual
katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

Are you still running noise free with this graphite tape?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
UPDATE: I'm now over 3500 miles and I haven't heard that haunting exhaust chip in a year and a half. The automotive clamp did the trick.

Maybe I should show it to Honda, since they apparently can't build one that doesn't squeak?

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Wanted to chime in. I had the same problem on my 2022 700-4. Drove me nuts. I did the exhaust clamp like @DG Rider and it's gone. Probably the most satisfying change to my machine yet.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

P

Pete

May 24, 2015
Well...what started as a look see ended up as me pulling the rear section and replacing the graphite gasket, then installing a REAL clamp.

View attachment 242354

A test ride around the block shows promise with NO noise, but the real test will be a full ride, and even multiple rides. The end of my graphite seal (where it butts against the collar on the front section) was a little beveled. Now I'm wondering if I just should have tightened the hell out of the factory clamp from the start?

BTW...I flattened the tab on the factory clamp and moved it back, as you can see. This is more about having it in place if something goes wonky with my new Autozone clamp, and I have to do a trail fix. I also removed the tape from the bushing on the rear section, since it was doing no good.

As a side note...I was looking longingly at the honeycomb cat through the opening. I feel certain I can knock this out with some tools, but to do so is "crossing the Rubicon", so to speak. Once I dent it, it's gotta come out. And if I damage the pipe it's like $500 from honda. I decided to wait until the warranty is done, then maybe...
What size is that ‘manly’ looking clamp?

Rickg83

Rickg83

Nov 5, 2019
Rock Hill, SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
@DG Rider @osobad - thanks for yall's post on this -I have this exact rattle and it's driving me bats***. After reading through the threads this seems like the way to go. I just want to confirm:
1- I shift the current "sleeve" , the one with 2x 12mm bolts, back toward the rear
2- then put this new clamp where the pipes overlap
3- tighten the crap out of it
4- get my sanity back from no listening to a high squeal on every ride

Reactions: Buggyman and osobad

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!