P700 2018 700-4 Noise

katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey DG- sorry to hear of your frustration with this. As mentioned in my original post, I wrapped some graphite around the end of the header pipe that goes inside of the clapped tailpipe piece. Have to be careful not to have tape beyond the end of the header pipe as this could break loose and plug muffler end of exhaust. Since doing this on mine I have not heard the noise after ~300 hrs and going. I’ve seen and repaired other small engine OEM exhaust that used graphite seals at similar joints, which have me this idea.
i can send you some of the tape if you reply with address. It only takes a few inches of the tape. Or this photo show what I bought on Amazon. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey DG- sorry to hear of your frustration with this. As mentioned in my original post, I wrapped some graphite around the end of the header pipe that goes inside of the clapped tailpipe piece. Have to be careful not to have tape beyond the end of the header pipe as this could break loose and plug muffler end of exhaust. Since doing this on mine I have not heard the noise after ~300 hrs and going. I’ve seen and repaired other small engine OEM exhaust that used graphite seals at similar joints, which have me this idea.
i can send you some of the tape if you reply with address. It only takes a few inches of the tape. Or this photo show what I bought on Amazon. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
View attachment 242294
So what did you do with the graphite gasket that's already on there?

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try clamping it next.

katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
So what did you do with the graphite gasket that's already on there?

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try clamping it next.
I wrapped the graphite tape over whatever seal was already there- just one layer. If I recall correctly I had to spread the other pipe end a bit to fit the newly wrapped end into it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wrapped the graphite tape over whatever seal was already there- just one layer. If I recall correctly I had to spread the other pipe end a bit to fit the newly wrapped end into it.
Yep. The fluted end of the rear section usually needs to be spread open a bit.
As I recall, my gasket/collar thing was a tight fit already. I don't know if you could add anything to it and get it in there.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well...what started as a look see ended up as me pulling the rear section and replacing the graphite gasket, then installing a REAL clamp.

20201220 155623

A test ride around the block shows promise with NO noise, but the real test will be a full ride, and even multiple rides. The end of my graphite seal (where it butts against the collar on the front section) was a little beveled. Now I'm wondering if I just should have tightened the hell out of the factory clamp from the start?

BTW...I flattened the tab on the factory clamp and moved it back, as you can see. This is more about having it in place if something goes wonky with my new Autozone clamp, and I have to do a trail fix. I also removed the tape from the bushing on the rear section, since it was doing no good.

As a side note...I was looking longingly at the honeycomb cat through the opening. I feel certain I can knock this out with some tools, but to do so is "crossing the Rubicon", so to speak. Once I dent it, it's gotta come out. And if I damage the pipe it's like $500 from honda. I decided to wait until the warranty is done, then maybe...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Initial ride shows this to have been a success. For the 1st time in nearly 1100 miles, I got to drive this machine without listening to the exhaust squeak.

So, to be specific, the big 1 3/4" clamp is directly over the metal "ring" on the front half of the exhaust. I did this so I could really tighten it without risk or crushing the pipe. Still...use common sense here. That rear pipe is like $500 from honda if you screw it up...

I flattened the factory clamps' locating tab, so it could be slid further back. I don't know if it really is doing much back there, but it can't hurt. Mostly wanted it in position, in case the new clamp was a failure, as you really have to loosen the heat shield, pull the bolts, and spread the clamp to to install the factory one. Tough business on a hot exhaust out on the trail.

Fingers crossed, and we'll see how it holds up...

P

Pete

May 24, 2015
My dealer made an attempt to stop the squeal. They tightened something on the exhaust system, it helped but is comeback. What is the approximate inside diameter of the pipe that needs expanding prior to inserting the pipe with the graphite? I’m thinking about buying a tool and trying the repair myself.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
FWIW, I've done 2 rides now, and not a peep from mr exhaust, so it seems like the clamp worked.

How proud the engineer of this exhaust must be; Squeaks, rattles...and plumbing isle clamps. Must have been subcontracted out to Harley Davidson...

Visual

Visual

Nov 16, 2020
Great Lake State
Ownership

1. 700-4
I fixed mine today without any additional parts needed.

As someone had mentioned earlier in this thread, I applied anti-seize to the muffler and header pipe joint.

I removed the O2 sensor and mounting bolt from the muffler and took the band clamp bolts out. Slid the muffler back a bit to expose the header piece and applied some anti seize; reassembled.

Noise has completely disappeared. Even during disassembly, applying a little pressure on the joint would cause the squeak, which was not the case upon reassembly.

Be careful in just tightening down the clamp though, service manual only calls for 16lbft of torque on the two band clamp bolts.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I fixed mine today without any additional parts needed.

As someone had mentioned earlier in this thread, I applied anti-seize to the muffler and header pipe joint.

I removed the O2 sensor and mounting bolt from the muffler and took the band clamp bolts out. Slid the muffler back a bit to expose the header piece and applied some anti seize; reassembled.

Noise has completely disappeared. Even during disassembly, applying a little pressure on the joint would cause the squeak, which was not the case upon reassembly.

Be careful in just tightening down the clamp though, service manual only calls for 16lbft of torque on the two band clamp bolts.
I'll be curious to see how long this lasts. Hopefully forever.
I'm now in ride #3, and nothing from the exhaust.

Visual

Visual

Nov 16, 2020
Great Lake State
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'll be curious to see how long this lasts. Hopefully forever.
I'm now in ride #3, and nothing from the exhaust.
Unfortunately not very long at all....frustrating...the chirp is back and worse than ever.

I just rolled over my initial break in period of 20 hours. While I have no issue messing with this, and taking care of it however I end up (whether new clamp or getting a Yosh exhaust!) I feel it's far and away un-reasonable to expect the purchaser of these UTV's at $16,000+ to do so.

I believe I had read on here, perhaps a different forum, there was a technical service bulletin published by Honda to the dealers on this precise issue; am I accurate there? Does anyone have that available to see what Honda says is the "fix"?
I don't have the ability to take my 700M4 to the local dealer currently, and honestly would feel "dumb" in doing so for such an easy issue and for someone like myself that is more than mechanically skilled. Yet, I refer to my thought above about what we spent on these "toys" and what it seems many of us are dealing with as well...

While I REALLY want to buy the Yoshimura exhaust slip-on for my new baby, I am going to try to remove the head pipe and muffler, as directed by service manual for removal, install the muffler, add some ultra high-temp grease/sealant, and then install and torque the head pipe appropriately. I'll cross my fingers this works but won't hold the breath. Maybe I'll end up getting that Yosh before I know it ;-)

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
My fix for when mine starts to act stupid will be to just tig weld everything together and when it comes time to do some service or repair I will cut it and collar it then reweld it.
The only other option I see it to flange both pipes and make a gasket that would do away with the stock garbage all together.
A few 3 bolt flanges will be enough to solve the issue.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Unfortunately not very long at all....frustrating...the chirp is back and worse than ever.

I just rolled over my initial break in period of 20 hours. While I have no issue messing with this, and taking care of it however I end up (whether new clamp or getting a Yosh exhaust!) I feel it's far and away un-reasonable to expect the purchaser of these UTV's at $16,000+ to do so.

I believe I had read on here, perhaps a different forum, there was a technical service bulletin published by Honda to the dealers on this precise issue; am I accurate there? Does anyone have that available to see what Honda says is the "fix"?
I don't have the ability to take my 700M4 to the local dealer currently, and honestly would feel "dumb" in doing so for such an easy issue and for someone like myself that is more than mechanically skilled. Yet, I refer to my thought above about what we spent on these "toys" and what it seems many of us are dealing with as well...

While I REALLY want to buy the Yoshimura exhaust slip-on for my new baby, I am going to try to remove the head pipe and muffler, as directed by service manual for removal, install the muffler, add some ultra high-temp grease/sealant, and then install and torque the head pipe appropriately. I'll cross my fingers this works but won't hold the breath. Maybe I'll end up getting that Yosh before I know it ;-)
The noise issue with the bulletin was a front diff seal and/or shaft noise. If yours is doing it at a standstill, it wouldn't apply.

For the record, my clamp fix is still working. Haven't touched it in a few rides.

W

Whc

Mar 4, 2021
MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought a 2021 700-2 a month ago. The muffler squeal started suddenly around 70 miles. From them on, it produced an unbearable high pitched squeak/squeal as soon as the engine warmed up. It took a whole lot of time and due diligence to locate the culprit location. At first I thought it was the engine mounting bracket. Bottom line is Katphishbob is spot on. Hopefully, my fix will help some of you..it's a tough one to cure. First things first, forget graphite tape. Just grab your ratchet set and run your 700 down the road until it warms up and starts to make the noise. Forget about messing with all the other hose clamps and go straight to the metal 2 bolt clamp that connects the pipes as seen in photo. (12 mm socket) Now significantly loosen both bolts but do not remove. With the bolts loose,, drive it a half mile or so. Hopefully the noise is gone. Now retighten both bolts. If the noise returns immediately after you retighten, then loosen both bolts and drive a short distance. If sound goes away, then retighten just the front clamp bolt and leave the rear bolt loose. This solved my problem, hope it helps.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
FouMan

FouMan

Mar 18, 2021
British Columbia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello, 2021 pioneer 700-4 with same chirping sound.. I have tightened clamps for exhaust and I still have the sound. After further investigation I started to believe that the mount for the exhaust to the frame is the culprit? Anyone else think so?

Reactions: DG Rider
FouMan

FouMan

Mar 18, 2021
British Columbia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought a 2021 700-2 a month ago. The muffler squeal started suddenly around 70 miles. From them on, it produced an unbearable high pitched squeak/squeal as soon as the engine warmed up. It took a whole lot of time and due diligence to locate the culprit location. At first I thought it was the engine mounting bracket. Bottom line is Katphishbob is spot on. Hopefully, my fix will help some of you..it's a tough one to cure. First things first, forget graphite tape. Just grab your ratchet set and run your 700 down the road until it warms up and starts to make the noise. Forget about messing with all the other hose clamps and go straight to the metal 2 bolt clamp that connects the pipes as seen in photo. (12 mm socket) Now significantly loosen both bolts but do not remove. With the bolts loose,, drive it a half mile or so. Hopefully the noise is gone. Now retighten both bolts. If the noise returns immediately after you retighten, then loosen both bolts and drive a short distance. If sound goes away, then retighten just the front clamp bolt and leave the rear bolt loose. This solved my problem, hope it helps.
Interesting.. I will give this a shot!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello, 2021 pioneer 700-4 with same chirping sound.. I have tightened clamps for exhaust and I still have the sound. After further investigation I started to believe that the mount for the exhaust to the frame is the culprit? Anyone else think so?

View attachment 268053
It can...yes. BUT...even tight as hell, my clamp wouldn't stop the squeak eventually. My automotive clamp is still keeping it quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinlaw
katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have no reason to rule out the frame/mount as the source of your squeek noise. I'm now at ~1,200 miles since "fixing" mine and it has not returned. I did nothing to the factory frame/mount setup, just added graphite gasket to the joint and cranked it tight.
It's funny to watch the P-700 videos on youtube in most of which you can hear the same annoying squeek. I couldn't stand it, but I guess it doesn't bother many others.

Reactions: Pete
P

Pete

May 24, 2015
I have no reason to rule out the frame/mount as the source of your squeek noise. I'm now at ~1,200 miles since "fixing" mine and it has not returned. I did nothing to the factory frame/mount setup, just added graphite gasket to the joint and cranked it tight.
It's funny to watch the P-700 videos on youtube in most of which you can hear the same annoying squeek. I couldn't stand it, but I guess it doesn't bother many others.
Katphishbob: I want to buy a pipe expander to spread the pipe. Can you tell me, before I tear into my machine the inside diameter or approximate measurement of the pipe I will be spreading?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!