brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMG 4121

Well it was pretty obvious why mine wasn't working right either. I jacked the rear end up, made the adjustments and it worked like a champ. Thanks for all the great info.

H

Hunt4x4

Oct 13, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-2

Do you make this adjustment while the machine is in park and 2wd or while it’s in neutral and turf mode?

“To me it reads turn the rear wheel and check the release of the rear diff lock.” Only happens in neutral and turf mode. Then it proceeds to explain the alignment.

I’ve watched several videos and they are adjusting while in park and 2nd.

If I’m reading the manual correctly you are adjusting the turf mode/ disengagement of rear diff. So it should be in neutral and turf mode when making these adjustments.

can someone clear this up?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Follow this video. Get it set so it engages and disengages in 1/2 turn of the tire.

The method in the manual is insufficient.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do you make this adjustment while the machine is in park and 2wd or while it’s in neutral and turf mode?

“To me it reads turn the rear wheel and check the release of the rear diff lock.” Only happens in neutral and turf mode. Then it proceeds to explain the alignment.

I’ve watched several videos and they are adjusting while in park and 2nd.

If I’m reading the manual correctly you are adjusting the turf mode/ disengagement of rear diff. So it should be in neutral and turf mode when making these adjustments.

can someone clear this up?
I was in park and 2wd when I adjusted mine. It's been 2 years since I've did it. It took me multiple times adjusting it to get it to work the way I wanted. Been good to go since.

advertisement
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Lifetime Member
Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is an extremely poor design. With every throw of the gear into park or switching from 2WD to Turf the connection from the tensioner to the cable is repeatedly stressed. Honda made significant improvements on the 2022. Makes me wish I would have held off a couple of years??

Reactions: ChadD and ODAMO
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Lifetime Member
Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any idea if this is too difficult for a DIY?? I've done quite a bit of mechanic work over my life, but if this requires special tools, that is an entirely different story.

Reactions: ChadD
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any idea if this is too difficult for a DIY?? I've done quite a bit of mechanic work over my life, but if this requires special tools, that is an entirely different story.
I’ve not done one. Just looks to me like yours might have been over crimped or over tightened and broke. As clean as it looks I don’t think you did anything. I think you got fucked by the factory. 😢

My guess is it will be worth your time to DIY it but it is probably going to be a PITA to chase the cable. You could always call your stealership and talk to the service department though and find out what they would charge you. Show them the picture and ask if it would be a warranty repair. If so, get it in writing so you don’t get a surprise when you pick up the machine.

Ultimately I do think anyone that can change oil could do this repair…just expect to scrape some knuckles chasing that cable.

Reactions: ChadD and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Ultimately I do think anyone that can change oil could do this repair…just expect to scrape some knuckles chasing that cable.
Prolly just swear a few more times than @GovtMule installing electrical bits ... if that's even possible. :D

Reactions: Spoonbill
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@Spoonbill

I've never heard of anyone breaking one of those before and I've seen a BUNCH of those shiftboxes completely full of mud/sand/water and they still seem to hold up. Yours looks immaculate, so I'd lean towards it just being a fluke. Looks like you just need #9 here and it shouldn't be too hard to replace since you can get to it all pretty easily with the bed up:

Remove it from the clips and pop off this plastic cover on the rear diff (#28). Should be no more difficult than changing the brake/shift cable on a bicycle:

Last edited:
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Lifetime Member
Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Spoonbill

I've never heard of anyone breaking one of those before and I've seen a BUNCH of those shiftboxes completely full of mud/sand/water and they still seem to hold up. Yours looks immaculate, so I'd lean towards it just being a fluke. Looks like you just need #9 here and it shouldn't be too hard to replace since you can get to it all pretty easily with the bed up:

View attachment 436400

View attachment 436401

Remove it from the clips and pop off this plastic cover on the rear diff (#28). Should be no more difficult than changing the brake/shift cable on a bicycle:

View attachment 436406
Thanks to everyone who had contributed! This is why I subscribed to become a Lifetime Member.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!