BOX1

P1000 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 rear differential shows locked in turf mode

A

Archer440GR

Hello all! Great forum. Wealth of information here!
Question:
I have a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and when it is in turf mode the dash indicator is showing that the rear differential is locked. Is this normal?
I jack the back of the SXS up where I can spin the rear wheels by hand and when in turf mode, only the wheel I am spinning is turning which is what I would expect. I then put it in 2WD and now when I spin one wheel, they both spin as I would expect. Is this simply a sensor or a switch issue? Is there a switch that confirms when it is in 2WD and the differential is locked? If so, is it serviceable? Can you tell me where I would locate it so can confirm adjustment etc? Or, is everything working as it should?

Thanks in advance from Southwest Wisconsin!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello all! Great forum. Wealth of information here!
Question:
I have a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and when it is in turf mode the dash indicator is showing that the rear differential is locked. Is this normal?
I jack the back of the SXS up where I can spin the rear wheels by hand and when in turf mode, only the wheel I am spinning is turning which is what I would expect. I then put it in 2WD and now when I spin one wheel, they both spin as I would expect. Is this simply a sensor or a switch issue? Is there a switch that confirms when it is in 2WD and the differential is locked? If so, is it serviceable? Can you tell me where I would locate it so can confirm adjustment etc? Or, is everything working as it should?

Thanks in advance from Southwest Wisconsin!
Upload 2018 8 7 23 38 59

A

Archer440GR

So even when you have it up in the air, and you can spin the wheels independently, the dash indicator srill says "LOCK 2WD?"
Correct. Rear wheels in the air, in turf mode, the wheels spin independently and it shows "LOCK 2WD". When I put it in 2WD the wheels lock and turn together. Mechanically it is working. It's just the indicator that is not reading correctly. Maybe I need to simply go through the procedure that TripleB posted to get it to indicate and show the status on the dash correctly?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Correct. Rear wheels in the air, in turf mode, the wheels spin independently and it shows "LOCK 2WD". When I put it in 2WD the wheels lock and turn together. Mechanically it is working. It's just the indicator that is not reading correctly. Maybe I need to simply go through the procedure that TripleB posted to get it to indicate and show the status on the dash correctly?
Right behind the driver side the little hatch door on the floor. I think @Russ989 has a youtube video on how to adjust it but its pretty simple.

Good luck!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right behind the driver side the little hatch door on the floor. I think @Russ989 has a youtube video on how to adjust it but its pretty simple.

Good luck!
I did make a video but it didn’t cover adjusting the flux capacitor.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So this is the same concern I am having right meow. I see the same issue in my machine, very slow or no changes in the digital display. I was riding with friends and occasionally when we came to gravel, I would put it in 2wd to get some break in time for the rear diff. But it would not change, or it would take some forward motion with swerving the wheel to get it to change. So my research on the forum found this topic, so I will look into the Flux Capacitor and see how off mine is.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most important: Lining up to the marks in the box is not sufficient. Getting both wheels off the ground and turning the tires by hand while switching in and out of 2-lock, making sure it engages and disengages within 1/2 wheel turn is the proper method.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So this is the same concern I am having right meow. I see the same issue in my machine, very slow or no changes in the digital display. I was riding with friends and occasionally when we came to gravel, I would put it in 2wd to get some break in time for the rear diff. But it would not change, or it would take some forward motion with swerving the wheel to get it to change. So my research on the forum found this topic, so I will look into the Flux Capacitor and see how off mine is.
Mine sometimes take a bit to unlock after throwing the lever. I've also noticed I'll turn or stop to get it out of 2wd. Maybe I've done this the entire time I've had it. At this point I dont really even look at the display I feel that it's still locked and there is a small click when the lever on the diff finally releases. My cables are adjusted and it always will release but sometimes I have to help it along. I take it that just how it works and it really doesn't bother me.

R

rickoshea

i think there's a fine line between turf working/not working.mine wouldn't engage turf.adjusted it to work.now after a few months it reads turf but turf won't engage.it's a real pita.time to adjust again.i think it's a constant battle.

Reactions: Wellzy
Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 P1K seemed like it was always stuck in rear wheel lock, took to the dealership where I purchased, said they adjusted, I took it for a ride in the parking lot, still same problem, talked with the tech, he said it was because I drove too slow in high range...???? I began to study the mechanism, each time it is placed in park the rear axle is locked, made the above adjustment myself, critical the rear tires have the same inflation pressure as when driving different pressures will bind the gears and will not allow them to easily dissengage. Not an answer to the original post but I think it is important for new owners to understand their machine a little better.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 P1K seemed like it was always stuck in rear wheel lock, took to the dealership where I purchased, said they adjusted, I took it for a ride in the parking lot, still same problem, talked with the tech, he said it was because I drove too slow in high range...???? I began to study the mechanism, each time it is placed in park the rear axle is locked, made the above adjustment myself, critical the rear tires have the same inflation pressure as when driving different pressures will bind the gears and will not allow them to easily dissengage. Not an answer to the original post but I think it is important for new owners to understand their machine a little better.
Likewise, each time I put it in park it SHOWS 2WD, but since it is not moving, it does not really matter. As soon as I put it in gear, it shows TURF mode.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Park does engage the diff lock. It's Honda's measure to make up for the lack of a parking brake.

Reactions: Biteme
brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What an awesome thread - I was looking for this solution. Just got mine two days ago, and I noticed with the lever in TURF, its cutting the hell out of the ground when turning into the shop. Display still shows 2WD LOCK as well. I'll make this adjustment tomorrow.

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What an awesome thread - I was looking for this solution. Just got mine two days ago, and I noticed with the lever in TURF, its cutting the hell out of the ground when turning into the shop. Display still shows 2WD LOCK as well. I'll make this adjustment tomorrow.
Follow this video.

1/2 turn of the wheel to engage/disengage is what you're looking for. Alignment marks are only a starting point.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!