2019 Talon 1000X Suspension issue

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Guys I have an interesting update, I'm really starting to get annoyed with the shock fade issue, which i've never seen before on a sport side by side. I can deal with the harshness or get it revalved, but the shock fade is not fixable. If anyone has any ideas that would be great...

Rode a very rough, whooped out from winter 100km loop at quite a speed today, it's still too harsh but was okay for a first half hour, then got progressively worse until it was insanely harsh (shocks badly faded) by about an hour.
I have not experienced this yet on mine. I do have my suspension completely worked over and I feel like I remember talking to Gary at G-force and he talked about valving and better fluid changing that fade point. There are people who race the X and don't hear of them having this problem. I think I might call Gary up and ask him about it. I am taking one of my other machines to him in a few weeks. I'll let you know what he says about it. I'm curious now!)

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Guys I have an interesting update, I'm really starting to get annoyed with the shock fade issue, which i've never seen before on a sport side by side. I can deal with the harshness or get it revalved, but the shock fade is not fixable. If anyone has any ideas that would be great...

Rode a very rough, whooped out from winter 100km loop at quite a speed today, it's still too harsh but was okay for a first half hour, then got progressively worse until it was insanely harsh (shocks badly faded) by about an hour.

Send them to a shock tuner and get them revalved. My shocks don't fade......

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019

are you bottoming out the shock? the harshness could be the shock going into bottom out control, they almost hydrolock. also check the nitrogen, if it's low it'll add to this issue.
Take a temp gun a temp the shock body and report back your finding. you might need more or stifer valving to keep from working the shocks so hard.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I just got mine back and installed this weekend, big improvement, even my wife noticed how "plush" it rides now. I sent mine to Monster Performance in Upstate NY.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
are you bottoming out the shock? the harshness could be the shock going into bottom out control, they almost hydrolock. also check the nitrogen, if it's low it'll add to this issue.
Take a temp gun a temp the shock body and report back your finding. you might need more or stifer valving to keep from working the shocks so hard.

I think it's bottoming out occasionally, but not super often- I'll buy a temp gun and see next time I ride this stuff.

Reactions: Blownzuki
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you haven't yet changed the stock shock reservoir end caps for the Shrader valve type, there's a good chance they're leaking.

I do need to do that. Thx for the reminder.

The OEM Fox caps are on backorder, I had Ian @ Monster install some aftermarket high volume caps i sourced from fueledutv out of Washington state.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Reactions: McCarthy
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you haven't yet changed the stock shock reservoir end caps for the Shrader valve type, there's a good chance they're leaking.
Has that been a problem on live valve too?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Please do, would be good to know
So I called and talked to Gary at G-Force Racing and Suspension technology. He stated that the valving on the stock set up would cause more heat and would Create shock fade sooner. He said it is like shoving fluid through a pin head....he uses fluid that is made to his specifications and without giving a number (because there are a lot of variables) you would not experience the same fade. The heat obviously breaks the oil down. The engine in the rear of a sxs does not help the heat build up on the rear shocks either. But valving does effect that heat build up too. We also talked about how important it is to really know what a person is doing with the valving. He just did 2 R's that had been done by a company out west, I won't use names, but that it was horrible and sad that money was spent and those were the way the valving was setup. He said the guy said slow got a little better but high speed was still bad. The valving was causing it all. It was just plain lack of knowing what and how to set that up fully. Gary is getting my YXZ with X2 shocks on it this weekend to rebuild and setup. We have already started talking about the setup for my R if I get it. My suspension will go nowhere else but to him! Hes just a great guy and has always taken the time to talk with me about it.. Just my .02!

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has that been a problem on live valve too?

I don't recall reading anything specific to the Live Valve but the way I understand it the problem would affect any Fox shock that requires a needle to fill the nitrogen. The way it seals doesn't seem to hold up over time and the replacement Shrader Valve reservoir cap fixes that.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I called and talked to Gary at G-Force Racing and Suspension technology. He stated that the valving on the stock set up would cause more heat and would Create shock fade sooner. He said it is like shoving fluid through a pin head....he uses fluid that is made to his specifications and without giving a number (because there are a lot of variables) you would not experience the same fade. The heat obviously breaks the oil down. The engine in the rear of a sxs does not help the heat build up on the rear shocks either. But valving does effect that heat build up too. We also talked about how important it is to really know what a person is doing with the valving. He just did 2 R's that had been done by a company out west, I won't use names, but that it was horrible and sad that money was spent and those were the way the valving was setup. He said the guy said slow got a little better but high speed was still bad. The valving was causing it all. It was just plain lack of knowing what and how to set that up fully. Gary is getting my YXZ with RC2 shocks on it this weekend to rebuild and setup. We have already started talking about the setup for my R if I get it. My suspension will go nowhere else but to him! Hes just a great guy and has always taken the time to talk with me about it.. Just my .02!

Good info, thank you. I just jumped on google maps and he is in the exact opposite corner of north america as I am... Yikes. Shipping would be insane.

Reactions: Hometeam
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X

Shock temps: 187, 212, 190, 194

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!