2019 Talon 1000X Suspension issue

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honda’s are known to have a harsh suspension out of the box. Same with every bike, atc and quad I’ve owned over the years and now the talon. In 14-15 years when all the others are dead and gone that suspension will finally break in, soften up and be the Cadillac you want.

I really want that to be the case, but my first month of ownership (sub transmission low on oil, shock blown, axle leaking, suspect front driveshaft joint is failing) makes me wonder...

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Pity you can’t get the X4 live valve in Canada. It’s suspension is magnitudes better than the X....

Can't even get other colours, let alone live valve, or the 4 seat... Options for a Talon in Canada is the a 2 seat X, in red.

Very strange considering Polaris and Can Am offer full lines successfully.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Do you have stock measurements?
Stock X 2 seater says ground clearance is 12.7”
But I don’t know where that measurements coming from compared to yours.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
15" front to bottom of frame by the forward a arm mount, rear is 14 7/8 (basically 15...) to frame tow hook thing by the rear a arm mount. I don't have before measurements. Stock tires, Bandit reccomended preload (5" front, 4" rear)

It will settle some once you ride it. Ted at Bandit asked me to ride it a couple of times and then recheck and reset if necessary when we were doing the testing. You should end up with an inch or so in additional height with the tenders.

S

Slomovr

Nov 29, 2018
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have a set of FCR tender springs if you want them for an X? The front were never put on and are new. Had the back on for about 6 months. $250 shipped in lower 48

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I really want that to be the case, but my first month of ownership (sub transmission low on oil, shock blown, axle leaking, suspect front driveshaft joint is failing) makes me wonder...
The axle seal is updated and can be replaced under warranty. I would call that a first model year thing. Sub trans level is the difference between checking the level with the cap screwed in or just set in like you are supposed to and is poor dealer prep. Shock is lame but a known Fox issue on all brands that use the pin fill type. Most wouldn’t be able to notice it on a test drive in the dealer lot. Not making excuses as you should feel great about your purchase. The good news is the one year warranty and ability to extend to 5. Hope the customer experience improves for you and you come to have confidence in the Talon. I think they need some love to be great and I’m happy with mine. And did have the same leaky seal.

5FA11A18 8504 420C 8687 47F494ED823E

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The axle seal is updated and can be replaced under warranty. I would call that a first model year thing. Sub trans level is the difference between checking the level with the cap screwed in or just set in like you are supposed to and is poor dealer prep. Shock is lame but a known Fox issue on all brands that use the pin fill type. Most wouldn’t be able to notice it on a test drive in the dealer lot. Not making excuses as you should feel great about your purchase. The good news is the one year warranty and ability to extend to 5. Hope the customer experience improves for you and you come to have confidence in the Talon. I think they need some love to be great and I’m happy with mine. And did have the same leaky seal.

View attachment 225524
Nice looking ride!

Reactions: lowranger
S

Slomovr

Nov 29, 2018
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Friend, that's $50 more than the bandit tender springs are brand new, just so ya know.

I agree but there were a few saying that Bandit didn't have any right now and I was just putting out an option... Some are die hard FCR folks and they are much more $$ new... Personally I wouldn't wipe my ass with the paperwork from FCR but that's just me.. I myself bought new springs based on the rates of the factory springs, re-valved myself and mine rides amazing now..

Reactions: Smitty335
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1. It'll soften up as it breaks in.
2. But not much. :oops:
3. Remove the links and tie up your sway bar. On the R, the SB ends will hit the upper trailing arms so we can't just remove one link, not sure on the X.
4. Yep, the DCT is magic, throttle response all the way to the tires. 👍 I rest my foot against the 'transmission' hump and haven't had much lurching problem, it does take some discipline.
5. Hopefully someone will chime in with suggested aftermarket spring kits. Yeah, not what you wanted to hear but ... I had planned on doing suspension work on my R anyway so I was ready for it.

If you're in the mood for a video, you can hear I'm not having any throttle control problems in the rocks. (highlight at 6:20)

I love the Garnin overlays. Great pictues and great data. Throttle sound spot on to me !!!!

Reactions: CID
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1. It'll soften up as it breaks in.
2. But not much. :oops:
3. Remove the links and tie up your sway bar. On the R, the SB ends will hit the upper trailing arms so we can't just remove one link, not sure on the X.
4. Yep, the DCT is magic, throttle response all the way to the tires. 👍 I rest my foot against the 'transmission' hump and haven't had much lurching problem, it does take some discipline.
5. Hopefully someone will chime in with suggested aftermarket spring kits. Yeah, not what you wanted to hear but ... I had planned on doing suspension work on my R anyway so I was ready for it.

If you're in the mood for a video, you can hear I'm not having any throttle control problems in the rocks. (highlight at 6:20)
I love the Garmin overlays. They look great. The throttle sound spot on to me !!!!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I love the Garmin overlays. They look great. The throttle sound spot on to me !!!!
Thanks, I like the overlays and exhaust sound myself. I'll listen to the motor thinking 'dang, that sounds good, they got it just right.'

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well I went for my first ride on the bandit tenders today, about 50 miles- I really didn't notice much difference from stock... Maybe a 10% improvement. Sucks. Oh well. Pre-load set to bandit recommended as well.

Reactions: Montecresto
hotrod8605

hotrod8605

Sep 26, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
If it makes you feel any better the rear tenders were designed to be clapped out on the x. Mine were, well they only had about 1/4” of travel in the rear. And I agree, the ride is way to rough on chatter. But I trail and dune run mine pretty much WFO all the time and it been completely trouble free for 2100 miles. So hopefully that restores some confidence for you! 😁

Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Sep 2, 2020
WI
Ownership

1. Talon X
I also just installed the Bandit tenders and testing them this week on the rocky trails in northern Wisconsin. The ride is TERRIBLE! I am wondering if Bandit sent me the wrong springs? I currently have the pre-load set at the recommend 5" front, 4" rear but will definitely be backing that off. Airing the tires down for now to keep from shaking the machine apart.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's starting to sound like the valving is at least as big a problem as the spring rate on the X. :( Since shock work made such a huge difference on my dirt bikes, I had it in the budget for my R from the start.

Reactions: Hometeam
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I also just installed the Bandit tenders and testing them this week on the rocky trails in northern Wisconsin. The ride is TERRIBLE! I am wondering if Bandit sent me the wrong springs? I currently have the pre-load set at the recommend 5" front, 4" rear but will definitely be backing that off. Airing the tires down for now to keep from shaking the machine apart.

You would see a bigger improvement with valving. Just doing valving will help more than just the tender springs do. I have done the suspension on my X and it is awesome!! Corners great still and takes the chop too.... Not to sound salesmanish but every part of the ride is better. I bought my 2020 Talon X for 18000otd. And put 2k in the suspension. I did springs, valving, and high/low compression adjusters. So minus my accessories that someone else may not want, if you are telling me I could get a full shifting transmission side by side with fully customed out suspension for 20 grand I would sign up every time. And that's exactly what I have in mine. Getting the suspension done is something I accept on every type of performance vehicle I have owned and driven. And the suspension is one of the most noticeable improvements to your style of riding that you can do on any platform. I had G-Force racing technologies and suspension out of Johnson City Tennessee do mine. He is top-notch! And I would recommend him to all! I spent 4 days in West Virginia with my cousin who has the exact same machine I have with the exact same tires on it. Going through the same rocky terrain and you could see the cab of his getting bumped left to right as it was hitting rocks The cab on mine stayed more centered while the suspension just worked. It was really nice to be able to see two machines doing the exact same things with one having the suspension done and one not. Night and day difference.

W

Wilson1

Mar 25, 2020
Salt Lake City Ut
Ownership

1. Talon R
I purchased the Talon R because it is a Honda, thinking it would be reliable, didn't have a belt, and has a dual disc clutch which works like an automatic unlike the Yamaha. So far I still love all that. Other than bolt on stuff, the two things I did that made it a totally different machine is going to 30 inch tires and taking it to Fineline Suspension in St. George Utah for springs and re-valving. Both kinda go together, and in my mind, and both were money well spent. I totally love the ride, the way it climbs and handles rough terrain. I will agree that Honda could have done better, but hey, every SxS has issues and mods that people do. Over all I am happy with the R and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I do agree that these things should come from the factory better equipped. They are a money pit, but what off road vehicle isn't? Nothing is better than coming back from a ride in the desert covered with dust and a big grin on your face. Let's do it again Dan O!

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Does anyone know of a shop in Canada that can revalve the Talon? I just got a shipping quote for the shocks to shock therapy, $487...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!