1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Oh no, a BELT!

J

JTW

He might be, but my god are you a KRX fanboy.
Lmao... not really, but it is a really good bang for your buck in a stock machine. I wouldn't hesitate to tell you and everyone if it were a turd and to save their money. I also, have no problem telling the truth about what the machine is going to cost them after purchase. But I’ve just thoroughly enjoyed watching the dumpster fires it creates. The forum has changed a lot since the intro of the talon and the type of people the sport machines bring has changed the dynamic here.

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Getting back to ride quality, has anyone had their Talon 1000X shocks modified by Shock Therapy? I have the Shock Therapy spring kit and have disconnected the sway bar but slow and medium speed trail riding is still harsh. Fine at high speed. Also it seems to get harsher after a couple hours of riding. If I was experiencing shock fade from heat wouldn't it ride softer on choppy terrain? I checked the shock temps. The reservoirs were running in the mid 120 F range, and the bodies up to 145 f in 78 degree weather.

Won't get into the KRX debate but I would not want to give up the DCT transmission for anything. It adds so much to the fun factor and even more with the Turbo. Also nice to be able to overshift when just cruising so the RPM's are down.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Gets harsher after getting the F beat out of U lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Adam490 and JTW
J

JTW

Getting back to ride quality, has anyone had their Talon 1000X shocks modified by Shock Therapy? I have the Shock Therapy spring kit and have disconnected the sway bar but slow and medium speed trail riding is still harsh. Fine at high speed. Also it seems to get harsher after a couple hours of riding. If I was experiencing shock fade from heat wouldn't it ride softer on choppy terrain? I checked the shock temps. The reservoirs were running in the mid 120 F range, and the bodies up to 145 f in 78 degree weather.

Won't get into the KRX debate but I would not want to give up the DCT transmission for anything. It adds so much to the fun factor and even more with the Turbo. Also nice to be able to overshift when just cruising so the RPM's are down.
@my99svt had Weller do his and he’s happy.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Shock Therapy would have been my first choice until recently. They're primarily desert racers and need control in the big desert whoops. Race Tech for motorcyclists has the same racing focus and is known to over spring and over damp their set ups.

Two other shops have recently been mentioned - Weller Racing (also in Arizona, like ST) and G-Force further east (hope I'm remembering that right).

It's been said a couple of times "If ST rode with their parents, maybe they'd understand what many of us are looking for in suspension compliance." A huge number of SxS owners aren't racers, we're seniors out for an enjoyable ride through the forests or deserts or mountains. We don't need or want big G out suspensions, we want a supple but well damped system and are willing to pay for springs and shock work to get there.

I had intended to be in Arizona last March and would have made an appointment with ST if Covid hadn't put a stop to that. Knowing what I think I know now, it won't be ST doing the work.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Mine is at G-Force Racing Technologies and Suspension getting done right now. I should get it back next week and then I am spending four days September 11th through the 14th at Hatfield McCoy. I will let you know what I think of the results after that trip. I am really excited to get it back and try it out.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine is at G-Force Racing Technologies and Suspension getting done right now. I should get it back next week and then I am spending four days September 11th through the 14th at Hatfield McCoy. I will let you know what I think of the results after that trip. I am really excited to get it back and try it out.
Looking forward to your feedback. 👍 How did you describe your riding style to G-Force - hair's on fire or plush cruising? R or X? Where is G-Force located? 🤔

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
And kawi is fixing everyone of those things whether you’ve had trouble or not. You act like the Talon doesn’t have issues of its own.. The talon has been out years and built off a machine that’s been out even longer. Honda still hasn’t addressed many of the issues it has and the KRX 6-7 months and kawi is on top of it. MANY of us here have had issues with Honda and had to fix them ourselves because they wouldn’t admit to the problems until months if not years later and that’s even if they do. They’re slow to do ANYTHING!! There are going to be issues with any machine... that’s a given. It’s how the company handles those issues that count. I would rather have a company admit to issues and fix them than try to sweep it under the rug and fix only what comes in.

I don’t care what anyone here buys... I have no skin in the game. I just want people to be aware of the options that might better suit them. I’ve had first hand experience with both. How about you?
One of my best friends has a KRX, I have ridden in and driven both here are my thoughts on the differences

Accessories- Kawasaki did a more thoughtful and thorough job on the amount and quality of the factory accessories
Performance- I run 32”s and my Talon R is faster in a straight line, every time, most of the tight trails we run it is comparable but speed is built in different ways. When the trails are more open the Talon stretches the gap. If he is in front I can catch up, when I’m out front he fades away. The Talon is more sport based. We joke that mine is the sportbike and his is the tourer of the Japanese 1,000’s. Well I call it the minivan...
Experience - the Talon is more engaging. My buddies16 year old son rode the same track with me as he did with his dad. While I was a little faster he came away with a much higher excitement level. When we swapped machines he was faster in my Talon and did express that while it was more sport-oriented it was harder to go fast.
Stock set up - The KRX wins here, it is better equipped stock and the suspension is useable and more adjustable in stock trim.
Reliability - transmission wins over belts but both machines have been trouble free other then self inflicted wounds.

The KRX is much bigger above the tires and struggles in tight woods. My R models turning radius hurts it too but it gets through areas the KRX rubs and bangs off trees and obstacles. I think the KRX suspension has more potential than the 5 link in the Honda. Both have strengths and weaknesses. To sum it up I would say if you want a cruiser go KRX. If you want an engaging sport machine that involves the driver go Talon.

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Looking forward to your feedback. 👍 How did you describe your riding style to G-Force - hair's on fire or plush cruising? R or X? Where is G-Force located? 🤔

They are located in Johnson City Tennessee. In short terms..... I have told them that I am aggressive and on the faster side of trail riding but not exactly a race set-up. I think Weller ask if you are a 0 to 20 mph driver or 20 to 40 mph driver. I would say that I am more of a 10-40 miph driver. I typically hit all the tougher stuff at the trails. Not exactly hair on fire all the time but definitely at points throughout the day.

J

JTW

One of my best friends has a KRX, I have ridden in and driven both here are my thoughts on the differences

Accessories- Kawasaki did a more thoughtful and thorough job on the amount and quality of the factory accessories
Performance- I run 32”s and my Talon R is faster in a straight line, every time, most of the tight trails we run it is comparable but speed is built in different ways. When the trails are more open the Talon stretches the gap. If he is in front I can catch up, when I’m out front he fades away. The Talon is more sport based. We joke that mine is the sportbike and his is the tourer of the Japanese 1,000’s. Well I call it the minivan...
Experience - the Talon is more engaging. My buddies16 year old son rode the same track with me as he did with his dad. While I was a little faster he came away with a much higher excitement level. When we swapped machines he was faster in my Talon and did express that while it was more sport-oriented it was harder to go fast.
Stock set up - The KRX wins here, it is better equipped stock and the suspension is useable and more adjustable in stock trim.
Reliability - transmission wins over belts but both machines have been trouble free other then self inflicted wounds.

The KRX is much bigger above the tires and struggles in tight woods. My R models turning radius hurts it too but it gets through areas the KRX rubs and bangs off trees and obstacles. I think the KRX suspension has more potential than the 5 link in the Honda. Both have strengths and weaknesses. To sum it up I would say if you want a cruiser go KRX. If you want an engaging sport machine that involves the driver go Talon.
I think that’s a pretty fair assessment... different machines for different things. I would describe it as more of a crawler as opposed to cruiser. But cruiser fits. The KRX was designed more for the Moab and Windrocks of riding. It’s built with more thought towards crawling. Busting fast through the woods is better suited to the paddles in the talon as it does gives you manual control vs having to use brakes. I do miss my paddles... that’s the one thing that keeps it from being perfect for me.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I think that’s a pretty fair assessment... different machines for different things. I would describe it as more of a crawler as opposed to cruiser. But cruiser fits. The KRX was designed more for the Moab and Windrocks of riding. It’s built with more thought towards crawling. Busting fast through the woods is better suited to the paddles in the talon as it does gives you manual control vs having to use brakes. I do miss my paddles... that’s the one thing that keeps it from being perfect for me.
I should have said plush cruiser. In the rock crawling we have done it’s the sane result but different styles. Maybe I’m okay with hammering it harder but I’ve made it up some stuff my buddy backed his KRX out of. When he’s willing they’re pretty comparable.

If you own one and are a 4 season guy, I would suggest you get the extended fenders. Stock flings s*** on you non stop. The extended ones are awesome but do reduce tire view. Wish Honda made a factory set of rear extensions.

Everyone that rides or drives my Honda and owns something else says, “I love the way it shifts, it is so responsive, and it’s kinda rough.’ Suspensions the weak link on the Talons in stock form.

J

JTW

I should have said plush cruiser. In the rock crawling we have done it’s the sane result but different styles. Maybe I’m okay with hammering it harder but I’ve made it up some stuff my buddy backed his KRX out of. When he’s willing they’re pretty comparable.

If you own one and are a 4 season guy, I would suggest you get the extended fenders. Stock flings s*** on you non stop. The extended ones are awesome but do reduce tire view. Wish Honda made a factory set of rear extensions.

Everyone that rides or drives my Honda and owns something else says, “I love the way it shifts, it is so responsive, and it’s kinda rough.’ Suspensions the weak link on the Talons in stock form.
Yup I agree... the flares are a must.

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Shock Therapy would have been my first choice until recently. They're primarily desert racers and need control in the big desert whoops. Race Tech for motorcyclists has the same racing focus and is known to over spring and over damp their set ups.

Two other shops have recently been mentioned - Weller Racing (also in Arizona, like ST) and G-Force further east (hope I'm remembering that right).

It's been said a couple of times "If ST rode with their parents, maybe they'd understand what many of us are looking for in suspension compliance." A huge number of SxS owners aren't racers, we're seniors out for an enjoyable ride through the forests or deserts or mountains. We don't need or want big G out suspensions, we want a supple but well damped system and are willing to pay for springs and shock work to get there.

I had intended to be in Arizona last March and would have made an appointment with ST if Covid hadn't put a stop to that. Knowing what I think I know now, it won't be ST doing the work.
Thanks for the input. I definitely will be checking out Weller & G-Force. I want to be able to just cruise comfortably 60% of the time but still want to be able be able to razz around other times. Twisty woods trails in the NE is where I ride. Big whoops not an issue here.

Reactions: CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Thanks for the input. I definitely will be checking out Weller & G-Force. I want to be able to just cruise comfortably 60% of the time but still want to be able be able to razz around other times. Twisty woods trails in the NE is where I ride. Big whoops not an issue here.

I am also having G-Force put on high/low compression adjusters. He said that alone would have improved some ride quality due to how much better it can flow oil over the qs3. Mine will be done on Monday and shipped out to me after! Should have by the end of the week!

Reactions: CID
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R

I've had both my R and my wife's X done by Weller racing. On the X they don't replace the springs. Just internal work. It has made a world of difference! Before, I couldn't drive her X because it beat me to death. Now It's amazing and I wish it was mine!

Reactions: CID and Hometeam
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had both my R and my wife's X done by Weller racing. On the X they don't replace the springs. Just internal work. It has made a world of difference! Before, I couldn't drive her X because it beat me to death. Now It's amazing and I wish it was mine!
Not replacing the springs saves quite a bit of money. :oops: Care to share what valving only cost in the X? 🤔

As rough as the X is rumored to ride, I'm surprised the valving is responsible. I'd have bet it was over sprung.

How did you define your riding to Weller - fast (desert), slower (forest trails), rocky?

Reactions: lowranger
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R

I told Kyle at Weller that we are slow speed with rock crawling. Works awesome at that on soft setting. Switch to firm and higher speeds are just as good. I got to take my wife’s for a day of riding at Cross Bar Ranch where they do Ultra 4 qualifying and it handled amazing! Now I wasn’t going as fast as those guys did but I was going pretty quick on all kinds of terrain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not replacing the springs saves quite a bit of money. :oops: Care to share what valving only cost in the X? 🤔

As rough as the X is rumored to ride, I'm surprised the valving is responsible. I'd have bet it was over sprung.

How did you define your riding to Weller - fast (desert), slower (forest trails), rocky?
$712.50...

Springs are not the main problem on the Talon. The stock combined rates are 137 front and 125 rear on the R and that is pretty soft. The X is 143 and 187 but the arms are shorter so the pressure at the wheel close to the same. The final rates when the springs crossover are 225/250 and 300/350 respectively.

Changing the springs is really a DIY band-aid to try to cover up the bad valving, it helps but is not a real fix. Valving is so stiff to meet the roll over requirements that it causes the rough ride. The stiff valving is evident when you remove the springs and try to compress the shocks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!