CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
$712.50...

Springs are not the main problem on the Talon. The stock combined rates are 137 front and 125 rear on the R and that is pretty soft. The X is 143 and 187 but the arms are shorter so the pressure at the wheel close to the same. The final rates when the springs crossover are 225/250 and 300/350 respectively.

Changing the springs is really a DIY band-aid to try to cover up the bad valving, it helps but is not a real fix. Valving is so stiff to meet the roll over requirements that it causes the rough ride. The stiff valving is evident when you remove the springs and try to compress the shocks.
That's an interesting 'side step' by Honda to get around roll over requirements - I thought that's what sway bars were designed for, softer damping with increased roll resistance. 🤔

I removed the sway bar links on my R (and tied the bar up to the frame) and it made a noticeable difference in ride quality but I'm not 'backing it in' to the turns so I don't know how much roll has increased. I have the quick connect links you posted earlier and they're waiting to get installed on the 'soon to be' new Talon. Thankfully they weren't installed when my Talon was stolen, a small consolation. :oops:

I'll need the SB when visiting @Lil_Steve as he rides 'a bit' more 'enthusiastically' than I do when solo. :eek:

Reactions: Lil_Steve
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
You know as I spend more time behind the wheel, and compare the machine to other units I ride with, I think there's something more to it than my initial thoughts of how hilariously bad the suspension is.

The Talon is a YXZ crossed with a RZR. A buddy of mine has a YXZ, and I rode with him yesterday, and while it has much better bump compliance watching him work the clutch and manual transmission in tight rocky/muddy trails made me realize that machine belongs in the desert or dunes. The throttle is very jumpy in the Talon, but is 10x worse in the YXZ. The Talon is also more suited to southwest style riding, but with the automatic and the way it's set up it does better than the YXZ in the rocks/mud.

When the machines are pushed in open terrain at high speeds, the Talon and YXZ absolutely shine. It's clear this is where the machine was designed to run, unlike the RZR that we rode with, which was far less confidence inspiring in that sort of driving. On the slow, rocky, muddy trails however, the RZR is VASTLY superior.

I stand by my thoughts that the Talon X should be much softer than it is for a trail machine, but it makes more sense now.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I told Kyle at Weller that we are slow speed with rock crawling. Works awesome at that on soft setting. Switch to firm and higher speeds are just as good. I got to take my wife’s for a day of riding at Cross Bar Ranch where they do Ultra 4 qualifying and it handled amazing! Now I wasn’t going as fast as those guys did but I was going pretty quick on all kinds of terrain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it an X4?

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll need the SB when visiting @Lil_Steve as he rides 'a bit' more 'enthusiastically' than I do when solo. :eek:

I wouldn't worry so much about your sway bar. But make sure your new rig has a winch. :cool:

IMG 20200831 114903976 XL

IMG 20200831 120820067 HDR XL

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think I have a headache, AZ mite be out this year. :oops:

U know yer supposed to STRADDLE them ditches, rite? :eek:

Little to no articulation, sway bar connected? 🤔

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think I have a headache, AZ mite be out this year. :oops:

U know yer supposed to STRADDLE them ditches, rite? :eek:

Little to no articulation, sway bar connected? 🤔

Uh-huh.
Yes.
And yes.

Coupla things, the ditch was mostly perpendicular to the trail. I felt the rear wheel high up in the air and stopped, thinking "I bet CID would get a kick out of the lack of articulation right now, lemme get a picture". It didn't work out as planned. :eek:

Our mutual buddy sent me a GPS file that I decided to scout this morning. You know how his routes tend to umm, be exciting? Best Monday morning I've had in a long time!

• Haha
Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Uh-huh.
Yes.
And yes.

Coupla things, the ditch was mostly perpendicular to the trail. I felt the rear wheel high up in the air and stopped, thinking "I bet CID would get a kick out of the lack of articulation right now, lemme get a picture". It didn't work out as planned. :eek:

Our mutual buddy sent me a GPS file that I decided to scout this morning. You know how his routes tend to umm, be exciting? Best Monday morning I've had in a long time!
I loves it when YOU takes one fer the team. Thanks fer the details. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Reactions: Lil_Steve
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
BAndit tenders are installed, can't wait to try them. First shock I did took me about an hour, and about 15 mins a shock after that. Super easy once you figure the tricks out.

Can't wait to try them! Machine seems to sit dramatically higher.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
BAndit tenders are installed, can't wait to try them. First shock I did took me about an hour, and about 15 mins a shock after that. Super easy once you figure the tricks out.

Can't wait to try them! Machine seems to sit dramatically higher.
What's your ride height?.... distance from floor ot the botton of the frame/skid. Everyone will have there own sweet spot but several shops I've talked to recommend the rear to be an inch to an inch and a half lower than the front. Ex....mine is 13.5" F, 12.5"R.

Edit, I went with the medium range kit from Bandit (all 8 springs)

Reactions: McCarthy
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
15" front to bottom of frame by the forward a arm mount, rear is 14 7/8 (basically 15...) to frame tow hook thing by the rear a arm mount. I don't have before measurements. Stock tires, Bandit reccomended preload (5" front, 4" rear)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Do you have stock measurements?
13" rings a bell but I can't say for sure. The manual lists ground clearance for the X at 12.7"

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It sucks to spend more $$ but it's worth it, if I remember correctly it was under $500 usd for the whole kit. If your tenders are collapsed they're not doing anything, it's pretty common.....they're junk.

Adjuster knob??? at the top of the shock? If it's spinning freely something is either broken or stripped. I'm assuming you bought this used so there's no warranty.

The stock suspension sucks. Yes you're right on the gas. If it spins freely it needs charged. That has been a common issue.

Reactions: McCarthy
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You know as I spend more time behind the wheel, and compare the machine to other units I ride with, I think there's something more to it than my initial thoughts of how hilariously bad the suspension is.

The Talon is a YXZ crossed with a RZR. A buddy of mine has a YXZ, and I rode with him yesterday, and while it has much better bump compliance watching him work the clutch and manual transmission in tight rocky/muddy trails made me realize that machine belongs in the desert or dunes. The throttle is very jumpy in the Talon, but is 10x worse in the YXZ. The Talon is also more suited to southwest style riding, but with the automatic and the way it's set up it does better than the YXZ in the rocks/mud.

When the machines are pushed in open terrain at high speeds, the Talon and YXZ absolutely shine. It's clear this is where the machine was designed to run, unlike the RZR that we rode with, which was far less confidence inspiring in that sort of driving. On the slow, rocky, muddy trails however, the RZR is VASTLY superior.

I stand by my thoughts that the Talon X should be much softer than it is for a trail machine, but it makes more sense now.
Honda’s are known to have a harsh suspension out of the box. Same with every bike, atc and quad I’ve owned over the years and now the talon. In 14-15 years when all the others are dead and gone that suspension will finally break in, soften up and be the Cadillac you want.

• Haha
Reactions: 79xs and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Do you have stock measurements?
Pity you can’t get the X4 live valve in Canada. It’s suspension is magnitudes better than the X....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!