BOX1

2019 Talon 1000X Suspension issue

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Seriously considering this: anybody have them?

I bought stage 4s, nice improvement.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Does anyone know of a shop in Canada that can revalve the Talon? I just got a shipping quote for the shocks to shock therapy, $487...
Search the Fox website, you should be able to find something....authorized dealers, etc

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
You would see a bigger improvement with valving. Just doing valving will help more than just the tender springs do. I have done the suspension on my X and it is awesome!! Corners great still and takes the chop too.... Not to sound salesmanish but every part of the ride is better. I bought my 2020 Talon X for 18000otd. And put 2k in the suspension. I did springs, valving, and high/low compression adjusters. So minus my accessories that someone else may not want, if you are telling me I could get a full shifting transmission side by side with fully customed out suspension for 20 grand I would sign up every time. And that's exactly what I have in mine. Getting the suspension done is something I accept on every type of performance vehicle I have owned and driven. And the suspension is one of the most noticeable improvements to your style of riding that you can do on any platform. I had G-Force racing technologies and suspension out of Johnson City Tennessee do mine. He is top-notch! And I would recommend him to all! I spent 4 days in West Virginia with my cousin who has the exact same machine I have with the exact same tires on it. Going through the same rocky terrain and you could see the cab of his getting bumped left to right as it was hitting rocks The cab on mine stayed more centered while the suspension just worked. It was really nice to be able to see two machines doing the exact same things with one having the suspension done and one not. Night and day difference.
Did you take all 4 shocks off and ship them to G-Force? If so, how long did it take for you to get them back? You told him trail riding for your suspension?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Did you take all 4 shocks off and ship them to G-Force? If so, how long did it take for you to get them back? You told him trail riding for your suspension?

Yes I sent all 4 shocks in. I believe it cost me $90 to take them to UPS and have them pack them in a box and ship them to him.It was 1-2 weeks. I told him where I ride, how I ride, what I was wanting out of my ride, the weight of my accessories, passengers, height and shock setting, etc. I am getting ready to send him our YXZ's suspension also! I am really happy with G-Force!

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I realized something interesting today, the suspension got progressively stiffer and bouncier the longer I rode, and something hit me; shock fade was compounding the over sprung issue. I used to run into it alot with race cars, but never seen it on a side by side. I wonder if the external reservoirs are just too small to keep the oil cool?

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
So I realized something interesting today, the suspension got progressively stiffer and bouncier the longer I rode, and something hit me; shock fade was compounding the over sprung issue. I used to run into it alot with race cars, but never seen it on a side by side. I wonder if the external reservoirs are just too small to keep the oil cool?
I have noticed the same thing on my Talon X Turbo(stock tires @ 12psi, Shock Therapy springs, no shock mods, running softest shock setting) . On a upper 70's degree day I brought my infrared thermometer with me and took readings after a few hours of fairly aggressive riding over choppy trails.The ride felt much harsher than how it was when I started. . The shock reservoirs read in the mid 120's degrees F and the shock bodies had areas up to 145. From what I have read it would take shock temps over 200 to be a problem. but whatever the case it seems to get stiffer. I didn't think to check tire pressure but I don't think the tires were getting warm enough to make a enough difference in the tire pressure to affect ride.

I want get my shocks re-valved this winter hoping the will get rid of some of the harshness. The Talon is such a great machine just a bummer that it is so harsh in the chop when just cruising easy.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm surprised that two of you felt the ride got stiffer as the shocks warmed up, I would have thought warmer oil (thinner) would result in softer damping which might cause easier bottoming but not a stiffer ride. The infrared thermo is a good idea, I ordered shock covers for my Talon to keep them 'out of the line of fire' thrown up by the tires. I believe ST recommends no covers but they're desert orientated and I'm not a hard charger for the most part.

Reactions: Smitty335
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Maybe its the oil in the shocks themselves, i know with the KYBs on my SkiDoos the oil from the factory is garbage.....looked like used veggy oil when it was drained, it made a big ride improvement just servicing the shocks with a high quality oil.

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just installing tender springs or even a complete spring set isn't going to fix the ride issues. Its in the shock valving. Period

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm surprised that two of you felt the ride got stiffer as the shocks warmed up, I would have thought warmer oil (thinner) would result in softer damping which might cause easier bottoming but not a stiffer ride. The infrared thermo is a good idea, I ordered shock covers for my Talon to keep them 'out of the line of fire' thrown up by the tires. I believe ST recommends no covers but they're desert orientated and I'm not a hard charger for the most part.
I agree that I would expect the ride to be softer with shock fade from heat but I couldn't figure what else would cause it. If the shocks faded would it allow the shock to compress more so that it gets into an area where there is more compression to prevent bottoming or maybe the springs are compressing to a point that they are stiffer? I don't know. Hoping that re valving and better shock oil as 906UP mentioned helps.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just installing tender springs or even a complete spring set isn't going to fix the ride issues. Its in the shock valving. Period

So many people said the tenders made a massive difference so I tried them, but like I suspected it seems like it's more of a placebo, with a slight improvement @ 2-4mph rock crawling. 0 improvement on rough trails or chop. I'll get the shocks revalved, and if that doesn't fix it, it's for sale.

Reactions: 1HasBeen
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree that I would expect the ride to be softer with shock fade from heat but I couldn't figure what else would cause it. If the shocks faded would it allow the shock to compress more so that it gets into an area where there is more compression to prevent bottoming or maybe the springs are compressing to a point that they are stiffer? I don't know. Hoping that re valving and better shock oil as 906UP mentioned helps.

The reason it gets worse is the shocks lose their ability to control the springs once they fade.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So many people said the tenders made a massive difference so I tried them, but like I suspected it seems like it's more of a placebo, with a slight improvement @ 2-4mph rock crawling. 0 improvement on rough trails or chop. I'll get the shocks revalved, and if that doesn't fix it, it's for sale.

I will be interested to hear what your thoughts are if you end up getting the valving done. It is a completely different machine to me. Every part of it is better.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I will be interested to hear what your thoughts are if you end up getting the valving done. It is a completely different machine to me. Every part of it is better.

I'm going to try something for sure, I thought the valving would be the fix, but i'm not sure anymore with the shock fade i've experienced. Can't fix that with valving.

I wonder how much work it would be to mount some take off Can am X3 or RZR Turbo S shocks? The non live valve ones of course.

EDIT: This can't be correct, can it? According to fox's website, there's no authorized service center in Canada. WTF

Cowboy02

Cowboy02

May 5, 2019
Northern Ca
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Hey folks,

So I picked up a 2019 Talon 1000X a couple days ago, took it for its first ride today of about 100 miles. Coming from a Rzr 1k XP for comparisons sake, really looking forward to Honda reliability, I can assure you that.

First off, the DCT in this thing is magical in most situations, just absolutely transforms a side by side from a moped to a sport bike (if that makes sense). Really jumpy at low speeds, but that's okay.

Now, I think something is seriously wrong with my suspension, I have all clickers on the softest (1) setting, and the ride is ridiculously harsh. It's a sport side by side, much like my RZR was, yet somehow this thing rides 1000x worse, and is downright dangerous on rough terrain, basically hopping all over the place... I have a Polaris Ranger, with something like 9 inches of suspension travel, that handles large and small bumps better than the Talon, and that just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. One could probably carry a higher speed and be more comfy in a friggin golf cart than this thing... Especially compared to the XP, this thing sucks in the suspension dept. (1000x nicer fit and finish, tranny is 10x better, engine is awesome, once I get this suspension thing sorted i'll be 100% happy with the Talon!

Is there some setting i'm missing? Something broken perhaps? What the hell is wrong with this thing?

Cowboy02

Cowboy02

May 5, 2019
Northern Ca
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I too was very unhappy with the suspension set up especially in the dunes. Lots of bucking and very stiff in the rear. The people at shock therapy set me up with new springs that really helped I didn't do the internal valve set up. But the springs really made a difference

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes I sent all 4 shocks in. I believe it cost me $90 to take them to UPS and have them pack them in a box and ship them to him.It was 1-2 weeks. I told him where I ride, how I ride, what I was wanting out of my ride, the weight of my accessories, passengers, height and shock setting, etc. I am getting ready to send him our YXZ's suspension also! I am really happy with G-Force!
Thank you for the info. I'll be sending my shocks off to G-Force.

Reactions: 906UP and Hometeam
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Guys I have an interesting update,

Rode a very rough, whooped out from winter 100km loop at quite a speed today, it's still too harsh but getting better

Last edited:
Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I tried the tender springs first, didn't help much. Just installed the ST DRS springs ,headed out to a ride in a couple weeks. Hope this helps!!!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!