H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Still runs like new. The air filter intake snorkel, drive shaft, and suspension upgrades make it a fun ride. I compare it with my 2020 Talon R with a bit less then 5,000 miles. My 2020 Talon has the Eibach springs that make a huge improvement in the washboard and rocky terrain. I put the sway bar back on both Talons with the improved suspension. The weight way back does improve the suspension. I set the ride height at 13.5 to 14 inches. Hopefully Honda will make the improvements on the 2022 model. I have had 10 Honda side by sides and never had a breakdown in over 75,000 miles. Winning the Baja 1000 in the last 2 years says a lot about the quality and toughness of the Talon.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Still runs like new. The air filter intake snorkel, drive shaft, and suspension upgrades make it a fun ride. I compare it with my 2020 Talon R with a bit less then 5,000 miles. My 2020 Talon has the Eibach springs that make a huge improvement in the washboard and rocky terrain. I put the sway bar back on both Talons with the improved suspension. The weight way back does improve the suspension. I set the ride height at 13.5 to 14 inches. Hopefully Honda will make the improvements on the 2022 model. I have had 10 Honda side by sides and never had a breakdown in over 75,000 miles. Winning the Baja 1000 in the last 2 years says a lot about the quality and toughness of the Talon.

View attachment 308760View attachment 308761View attachment 308762View attachment 308763View attachment 308764View attachment 308766 View attachment 308765
Did you weld your universal joints?

Reactions: Buggyman
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Reactions: Biteme and Buggyman
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Fwiw the caps had spun a little in my 2021 r
I've read about many with movements at low mileage. PaulF or Lil_Steve tested the press fit on new and used caps, and seems to have found the manufactures poor fits. I will probably get to it and weld. The thought of being broken down, alone, with no cell coverage, and 40 miles from my truck is more adventure than I normally like.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks. My 2020R has about 700 miles and I've been debating whether to be proactive or reactive. The longer I wait to decide probably puts me in the reactive area.
That's my problem, I got away with it for 6k miles and now I 'think' I'm good. I already have paint markers and hope to mark my caps as soon as the weather breaks.
I've read about many with movements at low mileage. PaulF or Lil_Steve tested the press fit on new and used caps, and seems to have found the manufactures poor fits. I will probably get to it and weld. The thought of being broken down, alone, with no cell coverage, and 40 miles from my truck is more adventure than I normally like.
Paul did the testing, Steve welded his caps, along with others.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Please share your maintenance schedule.
And the type (dyno, synthetic), weight, manufacturer (Honda, Rotella, etc) of the oil you use and mileage per change. Do you change both filters with every oil change?

• Haha
Reactions: Biteme and Doogle
advertisement
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's my problem, I got away with it for 6k miles and now I 'think' I'm good. I already have paint markers and hope to mark my caps as soon as the weather breaks.

Paul did the testing, Steve welded his caps, along with others.
@hondabob got away with it for 15K miles on his first then went through 2 or 3 more in a few thousand miles until the dealer tack welded the last one so they didn't have to replace it again under warranty.

@Dankathy's started spinning caps at 700 miles. I was the one that tacked his driveline and discovered one cap had already started spinning.

I am hearing more and more dealers are tack welding them too.

After my original driveline got lose (caught it before it failed) I bought a new one and tack welded it right out of the box after testing the perthitic press fit. Only 2 caps were tight fit, 4 were a little lose and 2 were basically a few hundred miles from failure.

Moral of the story... TACK WELD YOUR DRIVELINE CUPS!!!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Warms my heart every time I see you type this now. 😁

🤣
It's easy for me to say now. My warranty expired almost 2 years ago and there is a GLARING issue with the driveline that only a mig welder can solve :)

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I really hope fixing that issue is one of the updates for 2022.
NOPE! Same part numbers for 2022. They really didn't do much (as I expected). New colors, new (what appears to be removable) grill, copied my console relocation, and updated some of the sub-trans parts, but like idiots, didn't lower Low/Reverse ratios.

The Pioneer guys will be happy to hear that the P-1000 got the Talon Low/Reverse gearing (for what that is worth). They should have redone them both with 25-40% lower gears.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
It's easy for me to say now. My warranty expired almost 2 years ago and there is a GLARING issue with the driveline that only a mig welder can solve :)

I’m wondering if anyone has tried loctite 680 on their driveline caps? Obviously you would have to try it on a newer shaft or one that the caps didn’t have a lot of slop in them. We used loctite products successfully where I use to work. Also we used it in conjunction with their primer. LOCTITE 680

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
NOPE! Same part numbers for 2022. They really didn't do much (as I expected). New colors, new (what appears to be removable) grill, copied my console relocation, and updated some of the sub-trans parts, but like idiots, didn't lower Low/Reverse ratios.

The Pioneer guys will be happy to hear that the P-1000 got the Talon Low/Reverse gearing (for what that is worth). They should have redone them both with 25-40% lower gears.
The sub transmission updated parts work really really good.

makes the oem shift plate more than sufficient………

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!