H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Going to take awhile to get to 50,000 miles. I bought a 2022 Pioneer 520 from a dealer 50 miles away for our 50 inch trails and for trail work. Got 1,500 miles on it and over 7,000 on my 2020 Talon. My dealer is GOAZ now. Out of around 17 employees a year ago there is 3 left. The store manager is a prick and dishonest. Some quit in the first month. The high-end Honda tech that did all of my Talon warranty work quit after they took him off Honda Quads and UTV’s. That cut his pay in half and the new Honda tech may be good but doesn’t have any experience on Hondas. He did install the improved 2022 dif seal on my 2020 Talon but forgot to put the dif fluid in. Fortunately, I do check most all of the shop work. I canceled both of my Talon warranties and do all the repair work myself. They wrote up a dishonest expensive warranty claim and told me Honda turned it down. I knew better because I worked the Honda tech line for 14 years. The store manager said Honda approved the dif seal and water pump cover gasket. The cost would have been around $3,000 parts and labor for what they wrote up. I told the Tech Line guys and did the repair work myself. The Honda Tech Line Manager reviewed the warranty claim and did turn down the front-end work saying they couldn’t refurbish the whole front end due to the mileage. It needed one rear wheel bearing, 4 A-arm bushings, the water pump seal, and a front dif case to fix the dif leak. The shop wanted to replace the water pump cover gasket and install another improved 2022 front dif seal knowing it wouldn’t fix anything.

They wrote up 2 wheel bearings, 4 A-arms, 4 front ball joints, the steering rack, both tie rod assemblies, and 4 trailing arms. Those parts were still like new. My steering rack was replaced at around 25,000 miles and it will probably need another steering rack at 50,000 miles.

The manager wouldn’t refund the $139 they charged me to write up the dishonest warranty claim. What he doesn’t know is I have bought 12 Honda side by sides, 3 Polaris RZR’s, 2 Kawasaki Teryx, and 4 Yamaha side by sides. They have high add on fees like 1,400 shipping, $900 setup, $499 Doc fee and wouldn’t come down $500. I’m too old to wait so I sucked it up and ordered a 2022 Pioneer 520. I got home and was pissed. I canceled my order after I called another dealer 50 miles away. I saved $968 and got a Red 520. I have a source for my Turbo buddies so they won’t have to pay all the high add on fees.

H

HondaTech

The water pump seal thing is stupid design. Honda only sells the water pump seals attached to the stator cover. So we can't buy the parts individually and install them into the old cover.

They knew better than to try and get bushings/bearings warranted. Honda considers those wear items and would never pay for that.

Reactions: Smitty335
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Going to take awhile to get to 50,000 miles. I bought a 2022 Pioneer 520 from a dealer 50 miles away for our 50 inch trails and for trail work. Got 1,500 miles on it and over 7,000 on my 2020 Talon. My dealer is GOAZ now. Out of around 17 employees a year ago there is 3 left. The store manager is a prick and dishonest. Some quit in the first month. The high-end Honda tech that did all of my Talon warranty work quit after they took him off Honda Quads and UTV’s. That cut his pay in half and the new Honda tech may be good but doesn’t have any experience on Hondas. He did install the improved 2022 dif seal on my 2020 Talon but forgot to put the dif fluid in. Fortunately, I do check most all of the shop work. I canceled both of my Talon warranties and do all the repair work myself. They wrote up a dishonest expensive warranty claim and told me Honda turned it down. I knew better because I worked the Honda tech line for 14 years. The store manager said Honda approved the dif seal and water pump cover gasket. The cost would have been around $3,000 parts and labor for what they wrote up. I told the Tech Line guys and did the repair work myself. The Honda Tech Line Manager reviewed the warranty claim and did turn down the front-end work saying they couldn’t refurbish the whole front end due to the mileage. It needed one rear wheel bearing, 4 A-arm bushings, the water pump seal, and a front dif case to fix the dif leak. The shop wanted to replace the water pump cover gasket and install another improved 2022 front dif seal knowing it wouldn’t fix anything.

They wrote up 2 wheel bearings, 4 A-arms, 4 front ball joints, the steering rack, both tie rod assemblies, and 4 trailing arms. Those parts were still like new. My steering rack was replaced at around 25,000 miles and it will probably need another steering rack at 50,000 miles.

The manager wouldn’t refund the $139 they charged me to write up the dishonest warranty claim. What he doesn’t know is I have bought 12 Honda side by sides, 3 Polaris RZR’s, 2 Kawasaki Teryx, and 4 Yamaha side by sides. They have high add on fees like 1,400 shipping, $900 setup, $499 Doc fee and wouldn’t come down $500. I’m too old to wait so I sucked it up and ordered a 2022 Pioneer 520. I got home and was pissed. I canceled my order after I called another dealer 50 miles away. I saved $968 and got a Red 520. I have a source for my Turbo buddies so they won’t have to pay all the high add on fees.

View attachment 366092
Thank you for the update Hondabob I look forward to your updates!

Reactions: Tedbell52 and CID
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I appreciate the heads up on GoAZ. I guess I won't be darkening their doors anytime soon. I bought several machines from Star Island, and they mostly treated me well. I try to do all of my own work, but I did buy an extended warranty on my Polaris 850 Touring. That paid off just on the clutch work they did on it. 😁 And then at almost 20k miles they put a new frame in it!

I bought my Talon from Western Powersports. The purchase was a good experience, but I haven't been back for any service work.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

View attachment 366092
I have to add . My Pioneer 500 roll cage broke because of a bad weld from new . Honda was willing to cover it but because GoAz would not follow up with them . The end . We welded it .

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I bought my Pioneer 520 from Moto City in Anthem. Western Honda has a slightly better price. Both dealers have much better prices then most of the other dealers. It's really annoying to have a dealer charge a $900 set up fee. Honda has been great on my warranty issues. Having a good honest dealer helps. They have covered 2 wheel bearings, a steering rack, the front drive shaft plus 2 defective drive shafts. 3 front dif seals and the front dif case was next if the improved 2022 seal didn't fix it.

My riding buddies bought Can-Am turbo's when they first came out. They are ready for 2023 Turbo's and won't be buying there. My neighbor's Polaris buddy went to the dealer here to buy a new RZR Turbo. I think the list price was around $36,000, they wanted $42,000 OTD, he just walked out. I'm not sure that was accurate but probably it probably is.

I have changed a water pump seal on a Pioneer. We have to buy the stator case assembly at a cost of around $300. I replaced a rear drive shaft dif seal on a Pioneer 1000 and rebuilt a sub trans too. It's easy to repair all the minor problems on the Hondas. It takes lots of miles to have problems and the engine and trans are reliable for high mileage use. I usually don't get a warranty but with a high-end tech at the Honda store I would rather be riding then doing repair work. The 2022 Talon R color choice was disappointing. Black or black and orange is a deal breaker for me. I told Honda sales what happened to Red. Did they forget about Ride Red. They should always have a red model in my opinion.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!