P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I meant was, there are new tabs and a dual-bolt setup on the a arms, and lower reverse gears as we've been talking about here. Unless I missed what you were saying.

Anyway. :D

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I meant was, there are new tabs and a dual-bolt setup on the a arms, and lower reverse gears as we've been talking about here. Unless I missed what you were saying.

Anyway. :D
Yep, I was skimming and missed that. I stand corrected.

Reactions: Buggyman and Lady01
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The new brush guard has a nice updated look, I wonder if it’s any stronger than what we have now?

Reactions: Buggyman and Lady01
T

treeguy27

Sep 27, 2020
Mo
As a guy still waiting on a Pioneer but having read these forums for over a year, it seems like Honda has tried to address most of the issues I see talked about. Time will tell how effective those changes are but at least they're listening. I'm even more excited to finally get my 1000-3 now. Hopefully the wait isn't terribly long.

One of the synopsis above talked about the shocks and spring rates on the front and rear of the Deluxe models. Does anyone know if those are the same shocks that were previously used or are those completely new shocks?

edit to add the shock description:

• Pioneer 1000 Deluxe: Like the Forest, the Deluxe has KYB shocks with dual-rate front springs. The Deluxe also has triple-rate rear springs, and the five-person version features self-leveling rear suspension. (The three-seater has rear shocks with adjustable preload.)

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As a guy still waiting on a Pioneer but having read these forums for over a year, it seems like Honda has tried to address most of the issues I see talked about. Time will tell how effective those changes are but at least they're listening. I'm even more excited to finally get my 1000-3 now. Hopefully the wait isn't terribly long.

One of the synopsis above talked about different shocks and spring rates on the front and rear of the Deluxe models. Does anyone know if those are the same shocks that were previously used or are those completely new shocks?
I’m not sure but anything would be an improvement. The current suspension is geared toward work and light trail maneuvering.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

One of the synopsis above talked about the shocks and spring rates on the front and rear of the Deluxe models. Does anyone know if those are the same shocks that were previously used or are those completely new shocks?

edit to add the shock description:

• Pioneer 1000 Deluxe: Like the Forest, the Deluxe has KYB shocks with dual-rate front springs. The Deluxe also has triple-rate rear springs, and the five-person version features self-leveling rear suspension. (The three-seater has rear shocks with adjustable preload.)
Honda doesn't provide decent shocks on any off road equipment, including dirt bikes. If you buy a Honda with rebuildable shocks, you'll probably send them off to get what you want.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was referring to some of the gears being the same for Talon and Pioneer and some not.

High on the '22 Pioneer is not the same as '22/'21 Talon.
Low is different as well, '22 Pioneer is different then '21 Pioneer snd '21/'22 Talon

Some gears in the main trans are not shared either and some are.
I was hopeful they listened and lowered Low and Reverse so I dug into and compared all the part numbers and tooth counts. My first disappointment is the case number is the same so they didn't make room for bigger gears :(

The only gear that is different is the Pioneer has a 2 piece Final Drive Low Gear and the Talon has a 1 piece, everything else is identical.

They did not change Talon ratios and tooth counts are all now identical between the Talon and Pioneer. Some of the gear number changes are because the reverse idler is now 1 solid piece instead of a gear and separate shaft and it appears they may have updated (or possibly upgraded) all the gears. Hopefully hardened them a little better.

So, the only major change is the Pioneer ratios now match the Talon's.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you parse through that long text Jackal posted, and pay attention to when they say 2022 and when they don't - I am under the impression that the shocks on the Deluxe and the Forest are the same ones we were all stuck with. Someone correct me if I misread.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never read the stock front shocks called KYB's before, and whatever name they used for the rear load-levelers. We always just refer to them as "stock." But it seemed to me that they were talking about the same old stockers.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a shot of those front arms

Some of the online retailers don't have the '22 models listed for parts yet.

Screenshot 20220330 005831

advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never read the stock front shocks called KYB's before, and whatever name they used for the rear load-levelers. We always just refer to them as "stock." But it seemed to me that they were talking about the same old stockers.
KYB’s have been around for some time now, other companies use them as well.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Yeah, I've got them on my sled. I wasn't aware that the front stock shocks on my '18 Pioneer were KYB, and if they are it means they're still the same on the '22.
It reads that KYB front shocks are an upgrade for the Forest models. The EPS and Deluxe models have the same front "stock shocks" that your '18 has.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I've got them on my sled. I wasn't aware that the front stock shocks on my '18 Pioneer were KYB, and if they are it means they're still the same on the '22.
Yeah, I think Yamaha has used them for awhile now on some of their models.

T

treeguy27

Sep 27, 2020
Mo
  • Pioneer 1000 Forest: To adapt to varying loads (for example, when an eight-point buck doubles the cargo weight for the drive out of the woods back to the truck), both the three- and five-person Pioneer 1000 Forest feature with a self-leveling rear suspension design that automatically maintains the appropriate ride height. Front shocks are KYB, while rear are ZF Sachs. New dual-rate front springs provide progressive control.
Reading a little more, it says both the Forest and Deluxe have new dual rate front springs. Maybe the shocks are the same but the springs have changed. Hopefully that will help the ride at least a little bit.

kandt

kandt

Lifetime Member
Apr 27, 2021
Bluegrass state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
According to what i see on the honda website it looks like the deluxe has i-4wd now?
I saw that in the description as well, but when you go to the specs on the deluxe 1000-5 it shows below.
In the specs it does show the above for deluxe, trail, and Forrest models. Guess we will find out in time.

• Transmission​

Fully Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with six forward gears and Reverse. Four drive modes include 2WD, 4WD, Turf and Differential lock. Paddle Shifters with three shift modes (standard, sport, and manual)

But the overview shows this:

advertisement