2023 RFL new spring rate?

kjbula1980

kjbula1980

Aug 19, 2023
Ashtabula, Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
As some may know, Honda allegedly did some substantial upgrades to the '23/'24 Talon. I say allegedly because information direct from Honda can sometimes be difficult to find and cryptic.

I vaguely recall reading on a non-Honda blog that the Fox Live Valve spring rates were updated. Can anybody confirm this? See pictures below.

So, the wife and I finally had a day off together and took the Talon to a local off-road park. It was tore the hell up and muddy but we made the best of it.

We both put the shocks through a brutal test, by my standards, both low and high speed and we were both happy with their performance. They are still breaking in and stiff as the machine only has 25 miles on it but catching some air a couple times wasn't harsh to us.

I'm new to SxS's and suspension is far from my expertise. The only thing I can compare them to is my 22 year old TRX400EX that has GT Thunder valved/springed shocks set up to my ride style and they are phenomenal.

FRONT MAIN
20240422 074601

FRONT TENDER
20240422 074523

REAR MAIN
20240422 074641

REAR TENDER
20240422 074933

20240422 082842

Last edited:
Reactions: Coeus and NTCPrezJB
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Talon R live valve did get much softer springs. The Talon R Fox Live valve 4 seat is really good. The 2 seat needed the rear cross over rings moved up. I went 8 turns but 4 turns may be enough for a better wash board ride. The base models with the Showa shocks should also be much better too.

kjbula1980

kjbula1980

Aug 19, 2023
Ashtabula, Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
So what is it that you want to know? Not sure by if u have an R4 or 2 but this should
Help
R2
I was just curious if the springs are for sure updated. I was surprised how well they did in the washed out trails with almost zero bucking or harshness. Do they need settled and adjusted? Absolutely, but did pretty good out-of-the-box. Plus, pics kick ass and the spring part numbers may help someone in the future.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
R2
I was just curious if the springs are for sure updated. I was surprised how well they did in the washed out trails with almost zero bucking or harshness. Do they need settled and adjusted? Absolutely, but did pretty good out-of-the-box. Plus, pics kick ass and the spring part numbers may help someone in the future.
Yup. They are better. Hope the link and stuff helped you.

Reactions: kjbula1980

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!