Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No raining here! You are incorrect. The SE model is based on the Limited *NOT* on the Deluxe. Both SE and Limited have i4WD. Then there is the issue of availability, I could put my name on an inbound SE, while nothing else was available. I ended up waiting 5 weeks or so, which ain't too bad compared to a lot of folks.

As to the accessories, I can usually hold my own, being mechanically and electronically adept, have a small machine shop, welding stuff etc. etc.
Does the SE come with the aluminum skid?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Absolutely, I think it was a good move on Honda’s part and it may not have been priced as high if it hit the market two years ago. I only paid $15,300 for my deluxe OTD but I have more in it than the guys that have the SE.
True.....you have more then the guys that have the SE but they also don't have 90% of what you have in yours. It would take another 10K to get there. Like you said, the SE model would've been nice a cpl years ago and probably only worth 2 or 3K at that.

my 2 cents

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, if I'm correct, it is most probable Honda is using their "short supply parts" to build the upper end models first. Why wouldn't they? More profit for them and dealers. If I'm correct, this is why my friend TexasJackKin has an LE and I have an SE, they were available.

BTW, I've seen some dealers asking for more than MSRP (which already has a good profit built in), our dealer was asking MSRP, though I'm sure would not come off that with other people waiting in line to pay it.

Yes, the SE comes with aluminum A arm guards and skid plate.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once the prices chop chop I will have one. The bubble has to burst at some point. By that time I will be able to buy Trifecta 😜
Trifecta cost roughly $27,000 to buy and build and it’s been a fun machine to own.

06A33157 CDF4 4E79 9686 5E0E5CB5967C

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another niggling (can we still use that word?) issue is how they installed the Warn winch with the clutch release/engage control mostly shielded by a plastic fairing. This makes it "less than convenient" to operate. I'll take before and after pics when I modify that fairing some.

Fixed it. Shown before I smoothed the edges of the cut. Now I can reach the winch lock/unlock easily.
20210916 153324

R

RCarraway

Oct 19, 2021
Lake City South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone....
Just joining the club, put down a deposit on an SE today. Found a dealer that actually had a Honda SXS on order that didn't already have someone's name on it, and it happend to be an SE. I've been looking for about 6 months. Hope to talk delivery in early November. I'll be paying like 26.5 out the door, before taxes. Already making a list of mods and add ons for my new toy.
What do you guys recommend should be at the top of that list? Thanks!

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Hello everyone....
Just joining the club, put down a deposit on an SE today. Found a dealer that actually had a Honda SXS on order that didn't already have someone's name on it, and it happend to be an SE. I've been looking for about 6 months. Hope to talk delivery in early November. I'll be paying like 26.5 out the door, before taxes. Already making a list of mods and add ons for my new toy.
What do you guys recommend should be at the top of that list? Thanks!
Real skid plate (1/2" UHMW) if you ride anything more than gravel roads. Other than that, buy based on what you plan to do with it. I ride around with a bunch of yahoos that are always looking for the hardest way through anything so I've built mine accordingly. You've already got great shocks on the SE, a windshield, and a winch. Go ride it and enjoy it. If you live anywhere that is rocky or plan to ride rocky terrain regularly, I'd suggest welding (or bolting) in some angle iron on the side rails while it's still new and straight. Mine are welded on, but I know a few others have bolted them on as well.

Those side rails are NOT rock sliders and are about the thickness of a beer can; when they bend they'll start to push up into your doors.

Reactions: toddvdh
R

RCarraway

Oct 19, 2021
Lake City South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Real skid plate (1/2" UHMW) if you ride anything more than gravel roads. Other than that, buy based on what you plan to do with it. I ride around with a bunch of yahoos that are always looking for the hardest way through anything so I've built mine accordingly. You've already got great shocks on the SE, a windshield, and a winch. Go ride it and enjoy it. If you live anywhere that is rocky or plan to ride rocky terrain regularly, I'd suggest welding (or bolting) in some angle iron on the side rails while it's still new and straight. Mine are welded on, but I know a few others have bolted them on as well.

View attachment 300563

Those side rails are NOT rock sliders and are about the thickness of a beer can; when they bend they'll start to push up into your doors.
Hello Adam490, thanks for the advise. I'm from SC, about 15 minutes from the plant that makes these, but I have to drive by the plant +100 more miles to take delivery of my new SE... when it comes in, supposed to be end of month. I'll be using mine for around the farm and hunting purposes... no rocks in my area, lots of dirt roads, swamps and mud.
What about the heat issues I've read about, anyone installing the heat fix under the seats? And should I plan on adding a second battery?

Reactions: Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Hello Adam490, thanks for the advise. I'm from SC, about 15 minutes from the plant that makes these, but I have to drive by the plant +100 more miles to take delivery of my new SE... when it comes in, supposed to be end of month. I'll be using mine for around the farm and hunting purposes... no rocks in my area, lots of dirt roads, swamps and mud.
What about the heat issues I've read about, anyone installing the heat fix under the seats? And should I plan on adding a second battery?
With a full windshield and a roof it will get warm. It doesn't bother me but quite a few people complain about it. It will come with the Honda "heat shield", but it's just a 1mm sheet of rubber. I put a foil car sunshade cut to fit under my seat in the summers and it makes a noticeable difference; never felt the need for the bilge fan. I'd suggest running the 2nd battery if you plan to run the winch often or add a lot of lights/speakers/accessories. Otherwise you're fine with one.

Reactions: Remington
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well firstly, RC, your SE comes with an aluminum skid plate. Admittedly not as good as a nice UHMW one, but not half bad if you ain't rock crawling. My recommendation there is to see how it does.

To my '21 SE, I've added the following:

54" Nilight light bar (just below roof line).
Nilight Pod lights, adjacent to front roll bar pillars.
Rear back-up work lights.
Aux battery under hood.
True battery isolator.
Back door storage mod.
SuperATV rear windshield (cuts down dust)
Horn (loud mini air horn)
Wireless control for winch.
Front bumper shackle mounts.
Replace wire winch rope with synthetic (includes fairlead).
Removed big,"You are all gonna die" warning label from dash.
Interior dome light.
Outside front mount battery charging socket (Powerlet).
Interior mount for cell phone, InReach, and tablet for moving map (all up high).
48" High Lift jack "rear bumper".
Weather strip seal for front doors.
Camo seat covers.
Bigger front cup holders.
Shovel (or gun) mount behind mid cross tube.
Foam pre air cleaner replacing Honda's under hood "air box".

The above were not installed in the order listed. Truly, the order in which one might choose to install accessories will vary depending on budget, time, need, and importance to you.

For my kind of driving, I doubt I will be modifying suspension.

R

RCarraway

Oct 19, 2021
Lake City South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well firstly, RC, your SE comes with an aluminum skid plate. Admittedly not as good as a nice UHMW one, but not half bad if you ain't rock crawling. My recommendation there is to see how it does.

Aux battery under hood.
True battery isolator.
Back door storage mod.
Interior dome light.
Interior mount for cell phone, InReach, and tablet for moving map (all up high).
Camo seat covers.

The above were not installed in the order listed. Truly, the order in which one might choose to install accessories will vary depending on budget, time, need, and importance to you.

Thanks! Looks like I have alot of tinker time ahead of me.

Reactions: Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

Aux battery under hood.
True battery isolator.
Back door storage mod.
Interior dome light.
Camo seat covers.

The aluminum "skid" is just an aluminum version of the plaztek piece on the "lesser" models. Neither are designed to be skid plates; more of a debris.... inhibitor. Crawl under there and take a gander at how close your oil pan and the unprotected shift arm is to your "skid plate". Couple that with the fact that the aluminum deforms on impact and the $700 UHMW skid plate seems worth it.

Reactions: colin215213
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The aluminum "skid" is just an aluminum version of the plaztek piece on the "lesser" models. Neither are designed to be skid plates; more of a debris.... inhibitor. Crawl under there and take a gander at how close your oil pan and the unprotected shift arm is to your "skid plate". Couple that with the fact that the aluminum deforms on impact and the $700 UHMW skid plate seems worth it.
To be clear, no one is besmirching UHMW-PE, it is positively, absolutely the very best material for skid plates and more, where it's mechanical strength, abrasion resistance and slipperiness excel. (It's also great for lining snow blowers, BTW, as it's slippery tends to prevent snow from sticking and it's low surface friction increases throw distance). That said, aluminum is many times stronger than HDPE or other lesser plastics. If you don't crawl rocks or hump logs, aluminum may be all you need.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Aux battery under hood.
True battery isolator.
Back door storage mod.
Interior dome light.
Camo seat covers.

You need to bring that machine by, so I can take a look at it! Maybe take a group ride!

Reactions: Lady01 and bumperm
R

RCarraway

Oct 19, 2021
Lake City South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the call this afternoon, my new Pioneer 1000 5 2021 SE has arrived. Will be driving the 2 hours to pick her up in the morning! I'm excited to start tinkering!
Any advice on what I should look out for at the dealer before I take possession?

Reactions: Lady01 and bumperm
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the call this afternoon, my new Pioneer 1000 5 2021 SE has arrived. Will be driving the 2 hours to pick her up in the morning! I'm excited to start tinkering!
Any advice on what I should look out for at the dealer before I take possession?
While stopped, shift it through through P-N-R-H-L and make sure the panel display follows.

Next check 2-Turf, 2-Lock, and i4WD, this shifting is also done stopped, but you will need to have at least a small unpaved area for this, as the panel display won't always change until you've traveled a short distance. This checking can save you the hassle of learning the cable adjustment procedure as soon as you get it home (there are good videos on this).

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!