Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I got the call this afternoon, my new Pioneer 1000 5 2021 SE has arrived. Will be driving the 2 hours to pick her up in the morning! I'm excited to start tinkering!
Any advice on what I should look out for at the dealer before I take possession?
Never trust a salesman who wears a bow tie.

Congrats!

H

HondaTech

I got the call this afternoon, my new Pioneer 1000 5 2021 SE has arrived. Will be driving the 2 hours to pick her up in the morning! I'm excited to start tinkering!
Any advice on what I should look out for at the dealer before I take possession?

Look at the wiring on the lightbar and winch, under the hood too. The winch wiring has been a mess near the right side of the radiator. They've been coming in with the acc. fuse panel ground under the main cable and the battery terminals loose as hell.

Make sure the windshield isnt scratched, and the clamps on it and the roof are tight.

Also look on the light bar clamps and make sure the set screw is in the bottom of both.

Look at the nets as well, they are bolting them on with the washers and collars on the wrong side. The washers should be on the outside of the net mounts, towards the inside of the unit.

D

drbcrosby

Sep 14, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well firstly, RC, your SE comes with an aluminum skid plate. Admittedly not as good as a nice UHMW one, but not half bad if you ain't rock crawling. My recommendation there is to see how it does.

To my '21 SE, I've added the following:

54" Nilight light bar (just below roof line).
Nilight Pod lights, adjacent to front roll bar pillars.
Rear back-up work lights.
Aux battery under hood.
True battery isolator.
Back door storage mod.
SuperATV rear windshield (cuts down dust)
Horn (loud mini air horn)
Wireless control for winch.
Front bumper shackle mounts.
Replace wire winch rope with synthetic (includes fairlead).
Removed big,"You are all gonna die" warning label from dash.
Interior dome light.
Outside front mount battery charging socket (Powerlet).
Interior mount for cell phone, InReach, and tablet for moving map (all up high).
48" High Lift jack "rear bumper".
Weather strip seal for front doors.
Camo seat covers.
Bigger front cup holders.
Shovel (or gun) mount behind mid cross tube.
Foam pre air cleaner replacing Honda's under hood "air box".

The above were not installed in the order listed. Truly, the order in which one might choose to install accessories will vary depending on budget, time, need, and importance to you.

For my kind of driving, I doubt I will be modifying suspension.
Have you had a chance to take pics with all the new additions you’ve added. I just got my SE delivered 5 days ago… enjoying it!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you had a chance to take pics with all the new additions you’ve added. I just got my SE delivered 5 days ago… enjoying it!
I didn't do a "Bumper Build" thread, most of the stuff I've added has been done before. I've taken a few and posted them in various threads! Here's a sampling:

Nilight bottom is even with roof edge, doesn't block view:

20211017 112959

Removed the "You're all gonna die!" warning on the dash. Space will be used probable for a boss radio and a few more switches.
20210826 210127

Back bumper is a High Lift jack:
20210819 221858

The winch clutch is not easy to reach on the SE, my fix (pic taken before smoothing edges):
20210916 153324

Phone (not in holder), map tablet, and InReach are all overhead - barely showing at far right is courtesy light:
20210909 195126

Oh, and that's a digital inclinometer above the instrument panel.

chicknbroth

chicknbroth

Sep 11, 2021
HSB, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hate to rain on the parade, but the SE model ( had to go look it up as I never heard of it till now) looks mostly like a deluxe model with the pricey Honda switch panel, windshield, roof and a winch.

It doesn’t appear to have all the gadgets and gizmos of the LE model ( fox shocks, i4wd etc)

it’s the only version that already has installed what most buy with the P1000 at the dealership ..roof, winch and windshield plus the expensive switch panel (almost nobody buys this)

Not picking a fight, but simply pointing out that Special Edition (SE) doesn’t appear to be so special… certainly not at the prices listed…
You are somewhat correct, however the SE Is exactly as LE is equipped. And has all the Honda factory installed accessories one would or could buy after the initial purchase of an LE. Without paying for dealer labor. The unique thing is the viper camo. My certificate of Origin shows it as a 2021 pioneer 1000 LE color viper camo.

Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure the windshield isnt scratched, and the clamps on it and the roof are tight.
This ^^^

For some reason I didn't notice the damage until just recently, after I got around to cleaning the windshield the first time. There are two small square areas, a little bigger than 1"X1" in size, near the center of the windshield, with about 6 or 7 parallel scratches or depressions that look like scratches. They look to be made by some sort of tool or clamp - strange.

Reactions: Lady01
TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't do a "Bumper Build" thread, most of the stuff I've added has been done before. I've taken a few and posted them in various threads! Here's a sampling:

View attachment 302420

Removed the "You're all gonna die!" warning on the dash. Space will be used probable for a boss radio and a few more switches.
View attachment 302421

View attachment 302422

The winch clutch is not easy to reach on the SE, my fix (pic taken before smoothing edges):
View attachment 302425

Phone (not in holder), map tablet, and InReach are all overhead - barely showing at far right is courtesy light:
View attachment 302426
I don't see a VOR or Glide Slope indicator...... I guess you could do GPS approaches..... Nice looking rig!

Reactions: Lady01 and bumperm
D

drbcrosby

Sep 14, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 302420

View attachment 302421

View attachment 302422

View attachment 302425

View attachment 302426
Thanks for posting pics. Gives some different ideas I haven't seen thus far!

mikeholley

mikeholley

Supporting Member
Nov 15, 2020
Sonoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This ^^^

For some reason I didn't notice the damage until just recently, after I got around to cleaning the windshield the first time. There are two small square areas, a little bigger than 1"X1" in size, near the center of the windshield, with about 6 or 7 parallel scratches or depressions that look like scratches. They look to be made by some sort of tool or clamp - strange.
I had multiple scratches which Honda replaced with a new windshield.

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a 2021 p1000-5 deluxe and it was RED out the door tax and prep with a super ATV flip up windshield not installed and the Honda 4 year extended warranty $22.5 ordered/ got on the wait list in march and got the end of oct

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I believe that as built, this is not an SE. Unless you count the color. IMO it should be as follows:

SE should have 2 trims. SE and SE-Comfort. The SE should have the build as it does, but exchange out the Glass and wiper for the split screen, it should include both the light bar and the pod lights, backup alarm, winch with synthetic cable, and it should include rear bumper. If you are going to have a front bumper..... why not the rear? The Comfort version should include full hard cab and heater in addition.

floor mats, bed mat, plow, and flag pole should be additional along with the unique use items like a dual battery etc. The soft cab and rear panels should also be additional.

The LE should come with two versions as well, LE and LE-Comfort (the addition of the soft cab front and back, and should be built as the current SE but with a separate color pattern, steel cable winch.

The deluxe should be built with the split window, roof, mirrors, rear mirror, and mud fenders.

The regular model should be as is.

I think honda needs to do this to step up and compete with can am. If you look at a defender limited, you get everything honda can sell for a pioneer, plus you get air conditioning and electric windows. THEN you have a legit amount of add ons from that point. This also gives them the ability to do as other companies have done and really move the base models with a ton of room for OEM upgrades. It would better define the models and make the price jump make way more sense to people, rather than being only a few thousand different each.

I love my se. But I hope they better define the lines in the future models. Honda is clearly trying to get in to the market and play catchup. And I feel they did a dang good job. But little things make big differences in how you FEEL about your purchase. Nothing is more frustrating then buying the top of the line model, only to see things like open blanks in the switch bank. Come on. 1 blank, maybe 2 is fine, but only if its for FUTURE mods soon to come. Not when you have a pre-wired fuse block that accepts add ons you should have been able to get with the All in top model.

H

HondaTech

I believe that as built, this is not an SE. Unless you count the color. IMO it should be as follows:

SE should have 2 trims. SE and SE-Comfort. The SE should have the build as it does, but exchange out the Glass and wiper for the split screen, it should include both the light bar and the pod lights, backup alarm, winch with synthetic cable, and it should include rear bumper. If you are going to have a front bumper..... why not the rear? The Comfort version should include full hard cab and heater in addition.

floor mats, bed mat, plow, and flag pole should be additional along with the unique use items like a dual battery etc. The soft cab and rear panels should also be additional.

The LE should come with two versions as well, LE and LE-Comfort (the addition of the soft cab front and back, and should be built as the current SE but with a separate color pattern, steel cable winch.

The deluxe should be built with the split window, roof, mirrors, rear mirror, and mud fenders.

The regular model should be as is.

I think honda needs to do this to step up and compete with can am. If you look at a defender limited, you get everything honda can sell for a pioneer, plus you get air conditioning and electric windows. THEN you have a legit amount of add ons from that point. This also gives them the ability to do as other companies have done and really move the base models with a ton of room for OEM upgrades. It would better define the models and make the price jump make way more sense to people, rather than being only a few thousand different each.

I love my se. But I hope they better define the lines in the future models. Honda is clearly trying to get in to the market and play catchup. And I feel they did a dang good job. But little things make big differences in how you FEEL about your purchase. Nothing is more frustrating then buying the top of the line model, only to see things like open blanks in the switch bank. Come on. 1 blank, maybe 2 is fine, but only if its for FUTURE mods soon to come. Not when you have a pre-wired fuse block that accepts add ons you should have been able to get with the All in top model.

You'll never see a Honda with AC, its too narrow a market for them.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This also gives them the ability to do as other companies have done and really move the base models with a ton of room for OEM upgrades. It would better define the models and make the price jump make way more sense to people, rather than being only a few thousand different each.

You must not work in manufacturing. Complexity raises the price for ALL models, not just the higher trim models.

I think honda needs to do this to step up and compete with can am.

I don't need complexity and elevendy billion options. I need a reliable machine. Perhaps Can-Am should compete with Honda by focusing on the latter instead of the former.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You must not work in manufacturing. Complexity raises the price for ALL models, not just the higher trim models.

I don't need complexity and elevendy billion options. I need a reliable machine. Perhaps Can-Am should compete with Honda by focusing on the latter instead of the former.

Been in manufacturing my entire life. Ran the production floor for Lincoln Electric and just retired a year ago. Before that was with Toyota. Don't get me wrong about my explanation, the point of clearly defined product lines and uses is to reduce complexity.

And you made my point exactly. Users don't want a trillion options. They want a well defined machine that has a little room to grow, as they will grow with the machine. So my point of the se le breakdown was to do that. You have good, better, fancier. Each appeals to a different market. And for the guy who buys good, you have a roadmap on how to get better and what it COULD be. That in itself drives sales of parts and accessories. Along with moving more of the lower end units for those who want now but also want the best eventually. I doubt there are many members on here that have not seen at least 1 upgrade from a slightly newer or better machine and coveted it.

As far as can-am.... I agree with you totally. This seems like this is or was the year to focus on tightening things up. Most of my experience has been you measure your trouble free miles by oil change..... Ok 600 miles down the drain, oil change time..... fingers crossed.

Reactions: Lady01 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Been in manufacturing my entire life. Ran the production floor for Lincoln Electric and just retired a year ago. Before that was with Toyota. Don't get me wrong about my explanation, the point of clearly defined product lines and uses is to reduce complexity.
Today, Honda offers four different trim levels for the Pioneer 1000: Base, Deluxe, LE and SE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you identified six trim levels they should offer: Base, Deluxe, SE, SE-Comfort, LE, and LE-Comfort.

How is producing six trim levels less complex than producing four?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Today, Honda offers four different trim levels for the Pioneer 1000: Base, Deluxe, LE and SE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you identified six trim levels they should offer: Base, Deluxe, SE, SE-Comfort, LE, and LE-Comfort.

Does the SE have I4WD?

• Haha
Reactions: toddvdh and Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Does the SE have I4WD?
Yes. The SE is the LE with a handful of OEM options installed @ the factory and the Urban Camo color.

I had a P1K5 SE I could have purchased a couple weeks before I found my Deluxe Camo.

IMHO, the LE is overpriced for what you get, and it takes away your ability to choose what brands/models of options you want to install. I know you've seen my build thread on all that I've added to my Deluxe in my first month of ownership -- I've spent less than what I would have paid for the LE, but have added 3x as many accessories.

2021 SE features & benefits: Clicky-clicky

"Available for both the three- and five-seat versions, and based on the Limited Edition trim level (LE), the SE option adds real value, improved performance, visual flair and the capability to go and explore farther, thanks to the accessory hard roof, two-piece poly windscreen, front fender flares, Warn 4,500-pound winch, accessory switch plate, rear-view mirror and a 14-inch LED light bar.
SE models come with i-4WD, an intelligent differential system that conveniently combines the four-wheel-drive and diff-lock functions into a single selection mode."

MSRP is $4,900 more for the SE compared to the Deluxe Phantom Camo. You can do a lot more than the above farkles and accessories for $5K.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes. The SE is the LE with a handful of OEM options installed @ the factory and the Urban Camo color.

I had a P1K5 SE I could have purchased a couple weeks before I found my Deluxe Camo.

IMHO, the LE is overpriced for what you get, and it takes away your ability to choose what brands/models of options you want to install. I know you've seen my build thread on all that I've added to my Deluxe in my first month of ownership -- I've spent less than what I would have paid for the LE, but have added 3x as many accessories.
I do believe if the Talon would have came out with an option for I4WD or standard, we wouldn't have lost a bunch of core members?

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand

You are correct. And this is typical in most if not all vehicles on the road. For a reason.

However, the extra trim levels are not actually "extra". They are simply the same from a production standpoint as a se or le. So you have the same exact number as currently. However, it becomes the dealers responsibility to order those. Rather than having the dealer put the $$$ in to all the parts, you have the dealer finish it as they currently do. This decreases the cost associated with the build of the model on the more difficult parts. Ensures proper installation and performance. The example would be the heater. It seems hit and miss on peoples review of that part and much of that seems to come from the dealer install. So imagine a full SE model with a heater installed, so its a SE-Comfort. When it arrives at the dealer, its assembled per the usual process, with the additional cab and parts added at that time. None of which require total disassembly or massive additional costs as those are done at time of build by manufacturer. You increase the manufacturing time slightly, but not nearly as much as you do when your doing it at the dealer level. You also ensure if anything is wrong, you have immediate access to parts vs having to order a new heater and piss of the customer. SO there are up sides. And from a manufacturing stand point, you are still building 4 models.

Another example would be the Toyota Camry. AN SE and an XSE are identical except for the engine as defined. But can also be ordered special for a massive bump in price FROM THE DEALER. The only difference is the badge and the motor. Can you imagine building a base model Camry and having the DEALER swap the engine..... NO WAY.

So its better to tightly control the biggest pinch points and farm out the non pinch points. Thats why your floor mats, and shift knobs, etc can be easily used to get your labor dollars. And honda may do this but I know Toyota does. You get money from the customer for labor hours. But you also get money from the dealer for those labor hours in certain cases. I would assume a warranty on a dealer installed heater would COST honda. You remove the dealer install part and now your saving that money long term from honda. So its not seen as a loss. The key is to make sure that loss outweighs the cost of the infrastructure needed to avoid that loss in the first place... IE the extra part in the line to install or not install the heater for this example. Thats why when you start moving more of the "6" models, you are able to bake in those minor tweaks and come out ahead.

So to sum it up. It SOUNDS more complex, but from a financial stand point, and a long term costs to complexity stand point, its actually far more inexpensive and faster to produce. Honda may be able to install a heater in 2-3 hours vs the dealer at 5-8 hours. But they ensure its done exact to spec and there is no removal of the original equipment meaning less additional cost to the customer and the manufacturer. Meaning they could compete financially much better while still maintaining a profit margin that makes sense.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2021 SE features & benefits: Clicky-clicky

Scoop, your also a very capable owner. You know what your doing and you have the ability to do it. 80/20 rule. 80% of the buyers are not of your ability at time of purchase. And with your background, you knew what you wanted or at least where to learn about it and make a choice. Also, you build is pretty rad.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!