Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have been a Honda diehard since the age of 7, only had Honda ATV & SXS as long as Honda made one (save for a PoPo in 2012 waiting on Pioneers). For 48 years I never considered another brand, but my wife needed something that was more comfortable for her and the bench seat wasn't cutting it and had to be able to have the doggo tag along.

After much consternation, finally settled on the Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 1000 XT-R, located one in mid TN with no markup and made the 90 min drive to check it out, it followed me home.
20220519 125730

20220519 125257

Once home ran it for a little over 20 miles, swapping with wife driving and each of us riding in the back seats, had in running nonstop for 90 minutes and was very impressed with the absence of heat from the engine / exhaust / etc. compared to my old reliable P1K5LE with 12K miles on it.

Trail Speed noise Honda wins hands down - will definitely have to get used to the CVT system on RPM, spoiled by DCT that works perfectly.
Ride - no fair comparing a 5 yr old 12k miles clapped out machine to brand new but the RMAX4 was very nice, power steering is heaven.
Back Seat - no comparison in comfort, not same machines but RMAX is niiiiice oh did I mention no heat, even with engine cover up against your leg in back, no transfer through plastic.
20220519 200535
20220519 200549

Didn't waste anytime adding front bash plate, A-arm guards front and back with rock sliders. Got the full UHMW skid arriving tomorrow, was impressed to see a full steel welded skid underneath, but don't want to ding it up on the rocks here.

Mighty slick machine, take the P1K5 Trail Edition add the Honda radio, OEM infotainment gadget, & roof you're talking the same price as the RMAX4 XT-R. Yamaha did their homework with integration, initially very impressed. Now will it hold up to 12K miles in East TN? We will see!
20220519 200712

20220519 200741

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Badass looking rig Jackal!!! Very nice 👍🏼
Thanks! At the end of our run switched it from Trail Mode to Sport mode, holy chit entirely different response. Never thought it would drift rear around like a Talon X but it does. Ok back to Trail Mode and act my age. :p

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have been a Honda diehard, only had Honda ATV & SXS as long as Honda made one (save for a PoPo in 2012 waiting on Pioneers). For 44 years I never considered another brand, but my wife needed something that was more comfortable for her and the bench seat wasn't cutting it and had to be able to have the doggo tag along.

After much consternation, finally settled on the Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 1000 XT-R, located one in mid TN with no markup and made the 90 min drive to check it out, it followed me home.
View attachment 335029
View attachment 335030

Once home ran it for a little over 20 miles, swapping with wife driving and each of us riding in the back seats, had in running nonstop for 90 minutes and was very impressed with the absence of heat from the engine / exhaust / etc. compared to my old reliable P1K5LE with 12K miles on it.

Trail Speed noise Honda wins hands down - will definitely have to get used to the CVT system on RPM, spoiled by DCT that works perfectly.
Ride - no fair comparing a 5 yr old 12k miles clapped out machine to brand new but the RMAX4 was very nice, power steering is heaven.
Back Seat - no comparison in comfort, not same machines but RMAX is niiiiice oh did I mention no heat, even with engine cover up against your leg in back, no transfer through plastic.
View attachment 335032View attachment 335033

Didn't waste anytime adding front bash plate, A-arm guards front and back with rock sliders. Got the full UHMW skid arriving tomorrow, was impressed to see a full steel welded skid underneath, but don't want to ding it up on the rocks here.

Mighty slick machine, take the P1K5 Trail Edition add the Honda radio, OEM infotainment gadget, & roof you're talking the same price as the RMAX4 XT-R. Yamaha did their homework with integration, initially very impressed. Now will it hold up to 12K miles in East TN? We will see!
View attachment 335036
View attachment 335037
I'm not going to say a DAM word! Except congrats!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Not to down play your new toy but the 22 P1K power steering will make you think the old model was missing it all together.
Well after 6 model years its about time for an update. I'm sure the 22's are more refined in many areas, but still doesn't have better seating comfort and no comparison for back seats. At least I didn't switch to a China Virus Massimo from Tractor Supply :D

This move was to appease the wife so she can continue to enjoy trail riding, hopefully it is enough to do just that.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been a Honda diehard, only had Honda ATV & SXS as long as Honda made one (save for a PoPo in 2012 waiting on Pioneers). For 44 years I never considered another brand, but my wife needed something that was more comfortable for her and the bench seat wasn't cutting it and had to be able to have the doggo tag along.

View attachment 335029
View attachment 335030

View attachment 335032View attachment 335033

View attachment 335036
View attachment 335037
Congrats! Hopefully it gives you years of reliable service

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been watching jimscang on youtube. It's a couple of ole guys (like myself) in a pair of RMAXs riding the Colorado ROCKIES and I've been impressed with their capabilities. Like you, I LOVE the DCT but the RMAX is very good and about 6 years newer tech. Congrats. 👍

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Congratulations Jackel, I really like mine as well. Sport mode is definitely a beast but most of my driving is trail mode, crawl mode will be nice in really rough areas. I bought the bash plate and the front bumper which is super stout. Here's the bumper.

20220429 190158

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
@JACKAL I just sold my Rmax 4 and it was awesome. The noise is its only downfall. They will handle 32" tires no problem without lift or arms. I just needed a dumpbed for work around property is ONLY reason I sold mine.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
That Rmax has everybody's eye's wide open!

Knowing Honda always goes their own way........ I really hope they are paying attention to this one! Congrats Jackal and Mrs. Jackal!!!!!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!