BOX1

27" tires tight fit?!

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
So I got a call from one of my after market reps today asking about tire sizes for the pioneer 500. He was telling me a lot of dealers are saying 26" tires are a no go due to scrubbing. I have sti black diamonds in 27" and have not noticed any scrubbing but I told him I would check into it. When I got home yesterday while installing boot guards and skid plates I checked it out. On the front wheel well the corner or the frame sticks out a little past the wheel well and at full turn my tire are very close to the frame. With a little suspension compression might even touch. Nothing major but figured i would give you guys a heads up invade any one is planning larger tires. They will fit just gonna have to remember that they will rub at full turn.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Re: 27

Shoot, I had hoped for at least 27 inch tires.
Even with my Rincon I had fender rubbing with 27" tires and people still run larger then that.
What offset are you running?
Thanks.

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013

I got them on 14" msa elixirs. Yeah not a problem for me. And to get the tire to hit it's got to be turned as far as possible with suspension compression. I think 28" would fit maybe larger just wanted to share. I don't think mine has rubbed yet but under the right circumstances it could. We rode all night Friday night without one issue over some pretty rough terrain.

P

peatmoss

Jul 21, 2014

I'm looking at putting some bigger tires and wheels on my 500. Do the 14's make a noticeable difference? I did rub bottom a few times while trail riding over the weekend.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Peat,
Welcome to the community. Actually. 14's do not make a bit of differenct when it comes to fitting. It's all in the tire size. A 26" tire on a 12" wheel will be the same height as a 26 on a 14" wheel.
There is lots of opinions on this. I run 12" wheels because I ride a lot in rocks and want more cushion then higher speed control.

Reactions: swsebek and SBuckJ
T

Tornado602

Jul 23, 2014

Folks just so all of you are aware you can run 28" tires on the 500 Pioneer with 12" or 14" rims. I saw this done at my local Honda dealer, the men actually showed me how they trimmed the corner of the frame off behind the front tire and welded a plate back on to cap the frame back off from mud egress into frame. They had installed a set of 14" rims and had a set of 28 x 11 x 14 mud lite tires installed on all four corners. I drove the unit around the parking lot with no scrubbing at all. I purchased a Pioneer 500 and trimmed my frames the same way and installed a set of 27" mud lite tires on 14" rims. We took our unit off road and drove mud trails and rough terrain with no scrubbing or binding at all. I will be installing 28 x 11 x 14 Mega Mayhem2 tires when I get back home.

Reactions: Eltobgi and swsebek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the community. If you need any help with the site or your Pioneer hit us up. Will try to get a response to you in short time.

Tornado602 said:
Folks just so all of you are aware you can run 28" tires on the 500 Pioneer
Sweet. Can't wait to see it.

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013

oh yeah, I know of another guy that did the same. But just for the guys who don't want to cut the frame. Easily done for somebody who knows what they are doing. But most dealers will not do this. My 27's fit fine. Ive only got them to rub once and was trying to. Probably could fit a 28 without cutting and without loosing much turning radius.

M

motoup46

Aug 4, 2014
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Could you post pics of the frame trim you did? I'm running 28's on mine but have noticed a very slight rub at full turn only to my left... I noticed the frame was longer on that side with no rhyme or reason to be that long. Figured I'd hit it with a grinder, thought it would be nice to see one someone's already done though...

M

motoup46

Aug 4, 2014
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Here's 28's...

Attachments

• My Ride.jpg
    My Ride.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 13,315
B

BFDG

Aug 12, 2014

27 in Zillas and XTR's fit just fine with no rub. The first thing i notice when i bought it for the wifey was the front frame sticking out. Thinking to myself "Yep thats gotta go" all in good time she happy with the way it is now. We have shops here that will do that very thing Tornado is talking bout fairly cheap, for the novice welders such as myself.

C

Countrybbu

Aug 13, 2014
Logan County KY

I have been looking at new tires and wheels for my pioneer. I only want a small change it tire size. If I buy after market wheels with a different offset with some 26 inch tires will they clear or rub? Will the offset make any difference other than making my machine wider and I want it a little wider anyways.

Reactions: Farmer
B

BFDG

Aug 12, 2014

I put on some standard IRS rims on it just to see the looks, there was only approx 1.5 in stick out, just eye balling it. i think you would be fine. the standard honda 5/3 rear offset for the atvs, sticks them way out there. (tried that rim too) right now still just using the stock rims with 27 zillas on them.

S

Shanethetubguy

Sep 8, 2014

Does anyone have a width after you add bigger tires I still need to be at 50"

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

I put 26x9-12 roctanes on sti hd3 wheels on all 4 corners. It is now 52inches wide in the front but close to 50 in the rear.No rubbing.

L

laxton

Apr 26, 2015
West virginia
I just bought a pioneer 500 2 weeks ago and put outback 28x11s on the rear and 28x9s on the front With stock wheels and a slight frame cut.. Clears everything fine and didn't really notice any power loss.
20150429 134451 1 zpsaqhkibea

S

Sidexside4life

Jun 15, 2016
Boones Mill, VA
Ownership

1. 500

I got them on 14" msa elixirs. Yeah not a problem for me. And to get the tire to hit it's got to be turned as far as possible with suspension compression. I think 28" would fit maybe larger just wanted to share. I don't think mine has rubbed yet but under the right circumstances it could. We rode all night Friday night without one issue over some pretty rough terrain.
I was thinking about putting 28" on mine with 2" wheel spacers. Do you think this would work just fine?

Reactions: sxsinks
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Not all tires of a given size measure the same height. I have heard that zillas run a tad smaller than some others. I've seen people run them on stock wheels and no rubbing. But 27" Kenda HTR's will rub. Any 27"+ is going to be either rubbing or close to rubbing, if not using wheels with more offset, or spacers. I don't think I've ever heard of 26" actually rubbing. Before I bought tires i read every thread I could to see what rubbed and what didn't. So when I bought tires, I was sure I wouldn't have that problem. I'm very happy with the choice I made, but there are surely many other options I'd like just as much.

Reactions: Sidexside4life
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Not all tires of a given size measure the same height. I have heard that zillas run a tad smaller than some others. I've seen people run them on stock wheels and no rubbing. But 27" Kenda HTR's will rub. Any 27"+ is going to be either rubbing or close to rubbing, if not using wheels with more offset, or spacers. I don't think I've ever heard of 26" actually rubbing. Before I bought tires i read every thread I could to see what rubbed and what didn't. So when I bought tires, I was sure I wouldn't have that problem. I'm very happy with the choice I made, but there are surely many other options I'd like just as much.
Agreed. I've got 26" Bighorns and under no conditions have they ever rubbed, and I went 1" wider on front and rear.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!