P1000m5 28" or 30" tires?

R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A tune also helps with the torque. I upgraded to 28" Maxxis Carnivores and noticed a big difference vs stock tires that actually measure out to 25". I got the tune package through Complete Off-road Performance and made a huuuge difference. I even have reverse shifting now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

What it cost and are there any down sides like engine and trans life?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can flash the factory tune back to the ECM with a Power Vision 3, or just pick up a spare ECM to install in the off chance you need to bring it in for warranty work.
While true it will still leave a trace of the tune, also all the stock parameters will show no use or have any stored data which is a red flag, now I’m not sure how up on this stuff dealers are compared to pickup dealers that are required to look for and at times to even send the ecm to the manufacturer. A tune while under warranty is just not a great idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick53 and Isaiah
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
While true it will still leave a trace of the tune, also all the stock parameters will show no use or have any stored data which is a red flag, now I’m not sure how up on this stuff dealers are compared to pickup dealers that are required to look for and at times to even send the ecm to the manufacturer. A tune while under warranty is just not a great idea.
They'd have to prove it. You could have disconnected your battery to install some accessories and forgot to reconnect, that doesn't void a warranty.

EaQvGdK

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They'd have to prove it. You could have disconnected your battery to install some accessories and forgot to reconnect, that doesn't void a warranty.

View attachment 239581
That's the s***ty part. Honda could simply just say no, because it shows "no data" and that could be reasons enough. For anyone worried about warranty work I suggest getting a separate ECU and put the Tune on there. Then just swap them out.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's the s***ty part. Honda could simply just say no, because it shows "no data" and that could be reasons enough. For anyone worried about warranty work I suggest getting a separate ECU and put the Tune on there. Then just swap them out.

I don’t believe it wouldn’t show any data, believe it retains a bunch that can never be removed from the day it rolls off the factory floor. If you had a new ecm that showed no activity yet a worn and muddy utv, doubt it would fool them. In the end if you tune just be ready to pay and if you get lucky with warranty be happy but I bet only 1/10 get lucky especially for a blown motor or trans etc. And I doubt anyone is willing to take Honda to court because they deny a warranty claim plus most of us post everything we do on a public forum so wouldn’t be hard to see what we say we did/do to our equipment.

Reactions: Isaiah and Rick53
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t believe it wouldn’t show any data, believe it retains a bunch that can never be removed from the day it rolls off the factory floor. If you had a new ecm that showed no activity yet a worn and muddy utv, doubt it would fool them. In the end if you tune just be ready to pay and if you get lucky with warranty be happy but I bet only 1/10 get lucky especially for a blown motor or trans etc. And I doubt anyone is willing to take Honda to court because they deny a warranty claim plus most of us post everything we do on a public forum so wouldn’t be hard to see what we say we did/do to our equipment.
Well I don't have warranty to worry about. Honestly it shouldn't be an issue. Talking to the guys that tune Hondas, they run better, more efficient and a lot cooler after the tune. From factory they are so f'ed up because of emissions that they are probably going to last longer, having a tune.

R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I don't have warranty to worry about. Honestly it shouldn't be an issue. Talking to the guys that tune Hondas, they run better, more efficient and a lot cooler after the tune. From factory they are so f'ed up because of emissions that they are probably going to last longer, having a tune.

In the last 25 years I have chipped and programed a lot of street vehicles. In most cases a 50% or better reduction in emissions and major changes in both engine and transmission performance. I think they don't want the average nimrod getting himself into trouble and then claiming it was their fault. I just would like to know more about it before I do it to my Pioneer.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the last 25 years I have chipped and programed a lot of street vehicles. In most cases a 50% or better reduction in emissions and major changes in both engine and transmission performance. I think they don't want the average nimrod getting himself into trouble and then claiming it was their fault. I just would like to know more about it before I do it to my Pioneer.
Oh 100% agreed. I have done it to vehicles I have owned. Especially modern mopars. They are a whole different ball game. Lol. Like Mopars I went to COPS because they specialize in Hondas and are now starting to get into Kawasaki's. They've been doing it for a while and have a good rep. Down to earth people who go out for their way to help. So far after 3 months, my machine runs, idles, and starts much better. Its a lot cooler, the cabin temp is way down. It has more torque, and never have a problem crawling over an obstacle without a running start.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh 100% agreed. I have done it to vehicles I have owned. Especially modern mopars. They are a whole different ball game. Lol. Like Mopars I went to COPS because they specialize in Hondas and are now starting to get into Kawasaki's. They've been doing it for a while and have a good rep. Down to earth people who go out for their way to help. So far after 3 months, my machine runs, idles, and starts much better. Its a lot cooler, the cabin temp is way down. It has more torque, and never have a problem crawling over an obstacle without a running start.

So do they only have a FB presence? What was the cost of the tune and assume it is PV3 based? Do you get multiple tunes or only one? Need more details As I looked at their FB page but really didn’t tell me crap about what they offer or what it does other then we tune and offer a cooling package with new t-stat. I’m truly interested just find it hard to find stuff on an FB page unless you constantly follow the page.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So do they only have a FB presence? What was the cost of the tune and assume it is PV3 based? Do you get multiple tunes or only one? Need more details As I looked at their FB page but really didn’t tell me crap about what they offer or what it does other then we tune and offer a cooling package with new t-stat. I’m truly interested just find it hard to find stuff on an FB page unless you constantly follow the page.
I think Facebook is their only presence. Yes PV3 based. My tune package included 4 tunes, a tuner, the stock DynoJet tunes and Reverse shifting on the 4 tunes. $900 for everything. That includes the $400 cost for the PV3. In the car tuning world it's pretty affordable in my eyes.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think Facebook is their only presence. Yes PV3 based. My tune package included 4 tunes, a tuner, the stock DynoJet tunes and Reverse shifting on the 4 tunes. $900 for everything. That includes the $400 cost for the PV3. In the car tuning world it's pretty affordable in my eyes.

Yeah that’s not bad, my last diesel pickup I tuned with ezlynk and ppei tunes was around $1k I think.

Reactions: Isaiah
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The reverse shifting is nice. I don't think I would ever use it. I get irritated enough as it is for how high of a gear reverse is in general. I flip flop with a tuner. I purchased the extended warranty with mine and my dealer agreed to work with me on warranty coverage for the high lifter arms, muffler, and larger tires with high lifter lift. He told me if I chose to tune it he may not be able to cover engine or transmission but he would cover everything else without a tune.

Hate to tell you but that voided the warranty... there's nothing your dealer can do because they have to send honda detailed pictures to get it approved...

My new 2021 P1k5 clutches went out and the claim was denied by Honda because I have 28" Intimidators. No other modifications. $1600 bill

Last edited:
R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last good warranty I've got was in 1988 on a Bass boat. All the rest are just boning you. Most smaller dealers don't even send the paper work in and just pocket the cash.

R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Damn, what's it like not living in fear? I ran that by the BOSS (old lady), cost me $4,000 in hospital bills and another 2 grand in dental bills. Doc says it'll take about 6 weeks to recover. But family life aside, a few years back I caught a sale on a SCT tuner for my truck that came with 3 tunes for less then $500 (works great). I don't mind paying for something, but when they're taking advantage of you it kind of Tee's me off. $900 seems high to me, but I was always on the wholesale side of things. The tunes don't cost them anymore after they've paid the program writer. I got 2 extra custom tunes for free by just talking to the guy.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hate to tell you but that voided the warranty... there's nothing your dealer can do because they have to send honda detailed pictures to get it approved...

My new 2021 P1k5 clutches went out and the claim was denied by Honda because I have 28" Intimidators. No other modifications. $1400 bill
I am not too worried about the Honda warranty. I have the riders advantage extended warranty and I understand how extended warranties work and confirmed I would be ok with all my upgrades. I have everything pre approved by my dealer.

Reactions: kamikaze and Isaiah
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn, what's it like not living in fear? I ran that by the BOSS (old lady), cost me $4,000 in hospital bills and another 2 grand in dental bills. Doc says it'll take about 6 weeks to recover. But family life aside, a few years back I caught a sale on a SCT tuner for my truck that came with 3 tunes for less then $500 (works great). I don't mind paying for something, but when they're taking advantage of you it kind of Tee's me off. $900 seems high to me, but I was always on the wholesale side of things. The tunes don't cost them anymore after they've paid the program writer. I got 2 extra custom tunes for free by just talking to the guy.

Now that there is some funny s***

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a sneak peak. I mounted the tires today. I painted the beadlock rings yesterday and I just finished mounting the tires and got the beads torqued. It will be a couple more weeks until they are on the machine. I am going to install my high lifter control arms first.

IMG 20201209 104511 IMG 20201209 074826

Last edited:
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a sneak peak. I mounted the tires today. I painted the beadlock rings yesterday and I just finished mounting the tires and got the beads torqued. It will be a couple more weeks until they are on the machine. I am going to install my high lifter control arms first.

View attachment 240297 View attachment 240317

Looking good! I have the same tires and they are heavy! Ended up losing a lot of top end though, went from 67mph to around 55mph. it's at the honda shop now getting new clutches and they called after the test drive because they were concerned with the lack of power. I explained the tire situation, which is also why it wasn't covered under warranty... Has me debating on it all now.

Last edited:
zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I went from 28" outback max to 30" intimidators, no lift just SATV front arms and noticed no power loss. Cant comment on Top end as I haven't tried it. I will say they do ride a lot smoother than the outback max.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good! I have the same tires and they are heavy! Ended up losing a lot of top end though, went from 67mph to around 55mph. it's at the honda shop now getting new clutches and they called after the test drive because they were concerned with the lack of power. I explained the tire situation, which is also why it wasn't covered under warranty... Has me debating on it all now.
How heavy were your wheels? My wheels are really light and the tires are heavy. I haven't had the chance yet to compare the complete assemblies together.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!