P1000 2nd battery grounding

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
where are y'all grounding your second battery? Are you just drilling a hole in the frame close to the new battery and grounding it there? If yes, can I ground the light bars and cubes there too?

Reactions: Muleyhunter
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
you could do another chasis ground.
This is what I did - both battery grounds attach to the bolt on the right. And all my accessories went to the screws.
IMG 2349

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
There have been some issues related to grounding on the P1K.
You should check that you have a solid chasis ground under the drivers seat. I took mine off to clean and added anti-corrosive electric grease when re-installing.
There are also 2 engine grounds that everyone is checking for solid connection. I think a few were loose from the factory and can cause all kinds of weird problems.
Anyway, you mentioned ground and I rambled on...

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bear with me as I am a complete moron when it comes to electrical........

So I mount the buss bar, run a cable from it back to the chassis ground and then connect all my other grounds to the bar?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I ran a ground from the both batteries to the ground bus.
The primary battery is already grounded to the chassis so there is no need for me to run a second wire to chassis. All my accessory grounds go to the ground bus so very little if any ground current (my custom stuff) will actual run thru that chassis ground wire. They just go to the ground bus which has direct connection to the second battery.

The winch ground (and positive) connects directly to my second battery.

It wouldnt hurt to run another wire to chassis but I didnt. If you were to run a bunch of your accessories directly off chassis ground, you might not want that current running thru the primary battery/chassis wire so you would wire the second batter to chassis.

Hope that makes sense...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I worked hard to not run multiple grounds thoughout the rig and ran one common ground directly to the accessory battery so you're not adding any load to the stock connections and if you have a problem later it's easier track down. It is a little harder though. If you do run separates remember water will corrode any connection into bare ground so make sure to cover bare areas even with black silicon. Try to use bolt/nut were where possible over screws these vehicles rattle around a bit and screws come loose. Running extra ground from accessory to body is not a bad idea but also check grounds as ghost said not only because there have been a few problems but you want factory stuff to run off factory battery. Ground is usually your problem down the road pay close attention during install. I also agree run winch directly to accessory battery but use as short a route as possible and keep wires short because this will add more juice when being used.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I drilled and tapped the frame at a location close to the battery area. I ran my ground to the bolt in the frame and grounded the aux battery to it. Winch went directly to aux. battery. Buss bar is a great idea to keep the area clean looking and easier to trouble shoot if needed.

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I grounded my bus to the top right bolt on the accelerator pedal. Pretty easy access, and just cleaned up the metal a bit before install.

B

Brewtus

Apr 8, 2017
Brighton, Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you ground to the motor with the 2nd battery, then run a cable from battery to battery tying the grounds all together as a common ground? I'm not electricity savvy. Thanks.

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As mentioned above, a"Good ground" is critical. If you a drilling a whole to place a bolt, grind off the paint on both sides and use a electrical grounding grease before and after installing the bolt. This way after going through water and mud it won't corrode.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!