Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I added a 2nd battery to the Talon and wanted to make sure this is "normal."
Little background:
The 2nd battery has an isolator (bought from this site).
The winch and my accessory panel both connect to the 2nd battery.
The accessory panel is setup so it is not hot without the machine being turned on. (Key on power harness also from this site).

So here is where I am sort of stumped. If the machine is running, everything works great BUT it takes about 5 seconds after I start the machine for everything to kick on. If I shut the machine off, everything still works for a few seconds.

Just turning the key on and trying to turn on the dome light, nothing. Start it and wait a few seconds - kicks on and works perfect.

Is this normal???

The batter is showing FULL voltage and is charged. Is this somehow related to the isolator ?
Thanks

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Are you using the key on harness to trigger a relay to energize the accessory panel from the aux bat?

What your describing isn't normal, I had mine set up the same way initially but changed the aux relay trigger to a switch so I could power on accessories without having the key on. Regardless the accessories come on instantly.

Last edited:
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Well that is a good question. I really am not too sure how the accessory panel works. It may energize something.... Here is the "box"

I didn't notice this when I had it hooked to the talons factory battery so that is where I am sort of lost. Not sure what could be causing this?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Well that is a good question. I really am not too sure how the accessory panel works. It may energize something.... Here is the "box"
View attachment 198673
I didn't notice this when I had it hooked to the talons factory battery so that is where I am sort of lost. Not sure what could be causing this?
Was there any sort of wiring diagram that came with it?

The isolator shouldn't cause an issue, it only decides where to send the power from the charging system.....checks main battery voltage first, then will send voltage to aux battery if the main battery voltage is OK.

On mine I used a 50a relay to power a accessory buss bar, it is triggered on by a "master switch" or as you did it by a "key on power source", this would energize the buss bar from that I pulled the power for the accessories. I would double check your wiring for the "trigger side", I'm not sure how you could have wired it up to do that but if you pulled the trigger side off the isolator that sends voltage to the aux battery it could cause it to act like you described. Do you have any pictures of your set up on the Talon?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
View attachment 198673
I use that exact same box with a second battery and have no such problems. Your issue is not normal, you probably have something wired wrong. Post your wiring diagram and we can figure it out from that.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
You probably did this already, but did you double check that all your connections are tight? That could be the cause of the delay.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
LEt me check all the connections and I will try to get something together to show the wiring. I don't have a diagram from the company unfortunately (I had to wing that). What is odd is when I had it with ONLY the factory battery I didn't have the delay.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
LEt me check all the connections and I will try to get something together to show the wiring. I don't have a diagram from the company unfortunately (I had to wing that). What is odd is when I had it with ONLY the factory battery I didn't have the delay.

Pure speculation here but to me it sounds like you are pulling ground for the auxiliary relay(s) through another relay or system (like the dash or charging system). Did you ground the 2 batteries together and make sure all the relays are also properly grounded to both batteries?

You may want to try taking a jumper cable from the negative posts to each battery and verify you are properly grounded.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Pure speculation here but to me it sounds like you are pulling ground for the auxiliary relay(s) through another relay or system (like the dash or charging system). Did you ground the 2 batteries together and make sure all the relays are also properly grounded to both batteries?

You may want to try taking a jumper cable from the negative posts to each battery and verify you are properly grounded.
I was just wondering the same, @Code54 did you ground the aux battery to the frame?

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just wondering about the Isolator ground.
Since the Isolator has a built-in delay.... and takes 10 seconds to analyze and start charging the second battery, I’m wondering if the Isolator has sometching to do with it.

After much feedback and help from this forum to ensure my 2nd battery and distribution panel are wired correctly.... maybe you should :

Ground the Second battery to Main battery
AND
GROUND the Isolator and Key on power to the Second battery.

Just a WAG... but that works on mine.

Good Luck!!!

That way you have an “instant ground”
This pic below works for mine

Last edited:
Reactions: 906UP
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
First thing - Thank you for all the feedback everyone!!
I am pulling my Keyed power from the "blue plug" from the horn (using the wiring harness from the site).
I didn't think this ever happened before I put in the second battery so i'm at a bit of a loss.

IMG 5058

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I am pulling my Keyed power from the "blue plug" from the horn (using the wiring harness from the site).
I didn't think this ever happened before I put in the second battery so i'm at a bit of a loss.

View attachment 198948
You could test to see if there is a delay by running the "switched power" wire directly to the Pos "+" side of the aux battery, see if your accessories come on immediately, they should.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I would suggest another change unrelated to the issue you're having, concerning the negative cable for the winch. I'd recommend running a shorter cable from the winch relay to the neg side of the battery and move the "pre-run" neg from the main battery to a ground lug. The longer the cable the higher the amp loss & more heat in the cable.

IMG 5058

Reactions: Hondasxs
P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 198948
I would suggest another change unrelated to the issue you're having, concerning the negative cable for the winch. I'd recommend running a shorter cable from the winch relay to the neg side of the battery and move the "pre-run" neg from the main battery to a ground lug. The longer the cable the higher the amp loss & more heat in the cable.

View attachment 198950
YEP EXACTLY
Run your winch ground to Aux battery NEG.

Connect your Factory Battery with a 4-6 ga cable directly to the AUX battery ground.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

View attachment 198950
I second this change.
Winch should be direct to the second battery both + and -.

Other than that. I see nothing else outside the fuse block operation.

I would unkook and test the key-on power wire to see if it has the delay.

Isolator is hooked up correctly according to your diagram and would not have any effect on this problem at all.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thank you everyone - it is working correctly!

I ended up running the grounds on the batteries together and everything is working perfect! That did it everything kicks right on now and will turn on if the key is on the "on" position.

Again, thanks for the help, diagrams and message. Appreciate it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!