Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have been looking at the 4" portals.

For those who have them.

15% or 30% ?

What is your top cruising speed, top speed, and what size tires are you running ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Have been looking at the 4" portals.

For those who have them.

15% or 30% ?

What is your top cruising speed, top speed, and what size tires are you running ?

Thanks
My wifes cousin just got a 2018 P1000-5 and his 4" portals and 35s just came in yesterday. He got the 30% reduction. He should get it all together by this weekend. If nobody gets back with you about this I will let you know this weekend or early next week.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I aint forgot about you. He just got them on Saturday. I just texted him asking the top speed and he said 55 by the speedometer, but he hasnt checked it with gps yet.

Reactions: clifforeilly
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
He just texted me again and said that was as fast as he felt comfortable going with the tall skinny 35s on it. He said it felt sketchy and didnt want to go faster lol. Still thats the speedo, not gps.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He just texted me again and said that was as fast as he felt comfortable going with the tall skinny 35s on it. He said it felt sketchy and didnt want to go faster lol. Still thats the speedo, not gps.

Thanks.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have 30" SuperATV Intimidators on 4" Portals with a 30% reduction. I haven't done an accurate GPS speed check and the speedo is off since the gear reduction; I would say the speed is noticeably slower and definitely lost top end, that said, I'm still completely happy with the greater torque in the mud, where it had problems stock gearing with stock tires.

There is more maintenance and you have to be careful with the weak steering parts but those are easily fixed with an aftermarket billet steering box and beefed up steering arms. Portals turn a Honda Pioneer into a completely different machine. It's not a glorified Mule or golf cart with Portals installed, it even sounds different with the gears added! It's an animal and it gets me where I want with monstrous mud buggies tearing up our trails with BFG 54" mudder tires, full sized tractor tires or military 6X trucks making water filled ruts that will swallow any stock machine.< period!

They are also not for rock climbers or tight hiking trails, you're really wide with Portals, a plus in the mud environment.

Just a friendly warning: many members here will attack you for daring to install Portals! LOL

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
give me the top speed and stock tire size and i can tell you the speed difference gps vs shown. 30% gear reduction on stock 25 inch tire. a 35 inch tire will be within 1 mph at 45.

Reactions: SuperDutyJohn
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
give me the top speed and stock tire size and i can tell you the speed difference gps vs shown. 30% gear reduction on stock 25 inch tire. a 35 inch tire will be within 1 mph at 45.
I've never pushed top speed with my portals, I know it won't do what I thought was the top speed without.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My wifes cousin texted me again this morning and told me he confirmed the speed with a g.p.s. this weekend and it was 55 m.p.h. He also says he doesnt feel he should be going that fast on portals and 35s. Ok take it easy.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have 30" SuperATV Intimidators on 4" Portals with a 30% reduction. I haven't done an accurate GPS speed check and the speedo is off since the gear reduction; I would say the speed is noticeably slower and definitely lost top end, that said, I'm still completely happy with the greater torque in the mud, where it had problems stock gearing with stock tires.

There is more maintenance and you have to be careful with the weak steering parts but those are easily fixed with an aftermarket billet steering box and beefed up steering arms. Portals turn a Honda Pioneer into a completely different machine. It's not a glorified Mule or golf cart with Portals installed, it even sounds different with the gears added! It's an animal and it gets me where I want with monstrous mud buggies tearing up our trails with BFG 54" mudder tires, full sized tractor tires or military 6X trucks making water filled ruts that will swallow any stock machine.< period!

They are also not for rock climbers or tight hiking trails, you're really wide with Portals, a plus in the mud environment.

Just a friendly warning: many members here will attack you for daring to install Portals! LOL

thanks for the info., portals are something I want to do down the road. I use my P1k mainly for work and I use it to pull a field and brush mower so I'm wondering if that would help save the tranny/clutch packs in the long run? I'm getting ready to have it serviced with the clutch recall fix, suppose to have a better/improved clutch replaced...we'll see.

advertisement
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
thanks for the info., portals are something I want to do down the road. I use my P1k mainly for work and I use it to pull a field and brush mower so I'm wondering if that would help save the tranny/clutch packs in the long run? I'm getting ready to have it serviced with the clutch recall fix, suppose to have a better/improved clutch replaced...we'll see.
Itll save gas thats for sure puts alot less strain om axles and clutches.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
....They are also not for rock climbers or tight hiking trails, you're really wide with Portals, a plus in the mud environment.

There aren't too many guys on the forum that run portals on the P1k. Same with guys that ride in really deep water/mud. The FB groups have a much bigger audience for that type of riding. It'd be cool to get some more guys that have a lot of experience with the portals and the benefits/issues they bring along. I know @Alan_Vander has a lot of knowledge about them and chimes in when people ask. The problem is most of the guys that ask about portals get pissy when those that don't ride that type of terrain bring up the cons of having them in tight, rocky trails or the maintenance aspect of running them.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
There aren't too many guys on the forum that run portals on the P1k. Same with guys that ride in really deep water/mud. The FB groups have a much bigger audience for that type of riding. It'd be cool to get some more guys that have a lot of experience with the portals and the benefits/issues they bring along. I know @Alan_Vander has a lot of knowledge about them and chimes in when people ask. The problem is most of the guys that ask about portals get pissy when those that don't ride that type of terrain bring up the cons of having them in tight, rocky trails or the maintenance aspect of running them.
i see this alot then i tell them to find another trail. None of these bikes even with portals and spacers are as wide or as long as rock bouncers. You can only stay so narrow and so short for rock crawling. Width and length helps alot. If your going true rock crawling that is.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
i see this alot then i tell them to find another trail. None of these bikes even with portals and spacers are as wide or as long as rock bouncers. You can only stay so narrow and so short for rock crawling. Width and length helps alot. If your going true rock crawling that is.

While that is true, the trails we are going down and working through rocks are usually scraping the sides of the P1k. You aren't fitting a rock bouncer through there.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
While that is true, the trails we are going down and working through rocks are usually scraping the sides of the P1k. You aren't fitting a rock bouncer through there.
Thats the case of where your riding though. Each person will know where they are riding. If they are looking into portals then width isnt the issue well until someone chimes in like you said before. But thats really between the rider and his machine.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thats the case of where your riding though. Each person will know where they are riding. If they are looking into portals then width isnt the issue well until someone chimes in like you said before. But thats really between the rider and his machine.

I agree, but we are both from the dirty south where portals are prevalent :).

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree, but we are both from the dirty south where portals are prevalent :).
Yeah and if im not mistaken a 700 with portals is right about the same width as a p1k. Give or take an inch. Which is my next buy. P1k3 was going to go talon but i like less electrical stuff and mechanical lockers. Just not enough options to build a really good competitive bike on the 700. Wish id a waited but i didnt think they would of came out so quick.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yeah and if im not mistaken a 700 with portals is right about the same width as a p1k. Give or take an inch. Which is my next buy. P1k3 was going to go talon but i like less electrical stuff and mechanical lockers. Just not enough options to build a really good competitive bike on the 700. Wish id a waited but i didnt think they would of came out so quick.

Well we'll give that 700 and those portals hell at TO in a few months :)

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I traded my p700 for my p1k. love the extra power but now I'm just fighting to keep my tranny/clutch alive since I use mine mostly for work by towing a field and brush mower. I think the portal may be perfect for my case since I'm looking for a gear reduction and a bit more lift. I currently already run 31's so I don't think I need to go larger on tires. That being said, can you guys give me a rough estimate on how wide will my 1k will get? My concern is fitting it on my trailer. Thanks

Reactions: Plumber32
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I traded my p700 for my p1k. love the extra power but now I'm just fighting to keep my tranny/clutch alive since I use mine mostly for work by towing a field and brush mower. I think the portal may be perfect for my case since I'm looking for a gear reduction and a bit more lift. I currently already run 31's so I don't think I need to go larger on tires. That being said, can you guys give me a rough estimate on how wide will my 1k will get? My concern is fitting it on my trailer. Thanks
Have you looked into (IGR) internal gear reduction? Might be an option for you.

Reactions: Isaiah
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!