P1000 4" Portal Speed ?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I traded my p700 for my p1k. love the extra power but now I'm just fighting to keep my tranny/clutch alive since I use mine mostly for work by towing a field and brush mower. I think the portal may be perfect for my case since I'm looking for a gear reduction and a bit more lift. I currently already run 31's so I don't think I need to go larger on tires. That being said, can you guys give me a rough estimate on how wide will my 1k will get? My concern is fitting it on my trailer. Thanks
8 inches wider

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Width was always the biggest concern when we released them. That's really no longer an issue in most cases. I've been to Windrock, HM, Brimstone, Wildcat, and just about all the other big trail systems around here, and I've never even considered the width...and that's on a Turbo S with portals, and about 80" wide.

The biggest width concern is always..."do I need a new trailer now?" Lol!

B

Bdavis1

Jul 28, 2019
Lacombe LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run 4” portals w/ 30% gear reduction & 33” OL3s. I air em out, 52-55mph on the road, slow trail riding, perfect in the mud & muck. You will definitely gain some width but it’s a good thing. I love em. As far as maintenance so far it’s just been changing the gear oil which is dead simple.

I’m about to do the IGR and move up to 35-36” tires..

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all the replies so I guess the only other question is how much does it affect the wear and tear on ball joints and related components? I've read a few post about how portals will wear out steering parts a whole lot quicker.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well your widening the stance. And running larger tires. You have more front to back movement on your ball joints cause the lever action from your center of your tire being further away from the middle of the joints. Steering holds up pretty well. But still larger tires. Require little more pressure to turn. I cant really give you a good timeline for them cause the age of my joints and the time. Iv had portals. But my buddy usually has to change his tie rods every other yr and ball joints last about 3-4 yrs on his 800 ranger crew and portals with 32s.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Its not an absolute requirement or any kind of deal breaker on a smaller machine. Wear parts will wear faster without some maintenance, but generally not a big deal.
Now, I do recommend beefing up arms, ball joints, tie rods, and adding a frame stiffener on the bigger turbo machines....or if you plan on slapping some big ol' 50" tractor tires on there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!