P1000 4 wheel drive not engaging

H

HondaTech

Well I got after and and pulled the front diff out…. Here is the problem. Pulled the end off the diff and found this. This Snap ring was sitting on top of the shaft. Not sure why / how it popped out but I’m gonna find a new one tomorrow. Anyone happen to know the size of the ring?

View attachment 384508 View attachment 384509 View attachment 384510

This same thing happened to a unit we had in the shop last year.

I was going to suggest this may be what you find. His symptoms sounded just like yours. We never found out why or what caused it.

We replaced the snap ring due to it being damaged, I would suggest you do as well.

T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guess I should add that the shaft had moved about 1/16th or so and the snap ring wouldn’t fit so I had to do some brass drifting to make room for the snap ring to fit back in…. That small movement of the shaft had allowed the forks to slip out of the groove which is why I had no 4wd when manually moving the lever

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This same thing happened to a unit we had in the shop last year.

I was going to suggest this may be what you find. His symptoms sounded just like yours. We never found out why or what caused it.

We replaced the snap ring due to it being damaged, I would suggest you do as well.
You don’t happen to know the specs of the snap ring do you?? Headed to Hatfield McCoy on Thurs and need a replacement
Sucks that you had to pull the diff to find the prob. Was there any collateral damage ?
far as I can tell there was no damage at all!

H

HondaTech

You don’t happen to know the specs of the snap ring do you?? Headed to Hatfield McCoy on Thurs and need a replacement

far as I can tell there was no damage at all!

I cant remember which part # it is in the diagram, but the only description they give is 32mm for one and 58mm for the other.

T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gonna look local today but I Ordered a couple sizes from McMaster Carr just in case.

IMG 2642

Reactions: Smitty335
T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Messicks farm equipment here in PA had both the M30 and M32 snap rings I was looking for in stock.

M30 on left, M32 on right. Other pic is the M32 under the original…. Appears the original just stretched out and popped off or something.

IMG 2648 IMG 2649

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well i am going to be the bad guy here.Nature of my past jobs.Your snap ring looks like it got the dog s*** beat out of it.It seems the inner piece and the outer piece are walking back and forth way to freely. It could be to loose of a fit. That was a good find and thanks for the knowledge.Maybe try a different gear oil to slow down the movement.Iam sure you found the problem but why.That was my job to find out why.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!