P1000 Dash Cluster Back Lighting Not Working

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, here’s my problem. The back light illumination for my speedometer has suddenly stopped working, I visually checked all the blade fuses and they appear to be good. My headlights function as they should and my idiot lights come on momentarily as they should when I turn the key on. I did fish my winch remote wiring through that area behind the spedo but really can’t see that I disturbed any connections. I’m a little stumped over this one and any help would be appreciated.

2021 pk3

Thank you

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did u ohm out the dash illumination/power fuse? Not a test light, use a multimeter. Dosent matter if u physically looked at them. For spite, I would just put in a new one. Do easy checks first. Most likely that is what it is.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, so I replaced the 15 amp light and the 10 amp light relay fuse with fresh fuses and still no dash lights ?????

Image0 17
Image0 18

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Mine works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. It can be fine for a few days then not work again for a week. Or vice versa. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I made a small aluminum mount, put a single LED on it, and mounted it to the top of the steering column.

Reactions: Remington
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. It can be fine for a few days then not work again for a week. Or vice versa. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I made a small aluminum mount, put a single LED on it, and mounted it to the top of the steering column.
Yeah, that's weird. If I can't get to the bottom of this myself (with the help of some of the experts on this site) i'll call the dealership and see if this issue is covered under my extended warranty @Hondasxs. My machine is only a couple years old so this is a bit disappointing.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My machine is only a couple years old so this is a bit disappointing.
You said it quit after you ran your winch wiring through that area. You night have dislodged the connector or stripped a wire.
I did fish my winch remote wiring through that area behind the spedo

You need to go to the source and check for power then trace it from there. Work smarter not harder.
As my old Pappy use to say….
If you dont know where to start?Start at the Beginning. ;)

BTW either you just wiped down that rig or its way too clean looking at that fuse box 🤣

Reactions: packer58
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
i'll call the dealership and see if this issue is covered under my extended warranty disappointing.
Won't matter. They haven't retrofitted the previous dash panel with anything different that what you have now. You'll get the same faulty design that will start acting up again.

I do recall seeing a post where someone took the dash apart, pulled the PCB panel out, desoldered the LED, and soldered a different LED in there. Not sure how long that lasted or if it was even the root cause. That's why I built my own solution. 😆

Last edited:
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You said it quit after you ran your winch wiring through that area. You night have dislodged the connector or stripped a wire.

You need to go to the source and check for power then trace it from there. Work smarter not harder.
As my old Pappy use to say….
If you dont know where to start?Start at the Beginning. ;)

BTW either you just wiped down that rig or its way too clean looking at that fuse box 🤣
Yeah, i tried the fuse replacement and that didn't fix the problem........ that was the easy button. At this point it's more annoying than anything to me and it feels like it's 175 degrees in my driveway so not a huge priority right now. I'll deff dig into it some more.
I do try to keep up on the clean part the best i can, i have a 03 Rubicon that see's most of the work duty here at the place. P1000 gets the call for my personal hunting and guiding.

Iv'e been on this site for a couple years and really haven't seen this issue come up ..........maybe i just missed it or don't realize this is a semi common problem ........

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just a follow up on this issue, took it to the dealership for a service and told them about the dash light problem. They did some testing and came to the conclusion that the dash cluster needed to be replaced, apparently the illumination is not serviceable. Anyhow they are replacing under warranty but unfortunately the hours / mileage will be zero, guess i'll have to get better with my math ..........

Reactions: CID
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!