P1000 4 wheel drive not engaging

T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I've searched on here and can't find a clear answer to what I have going on... Ride was going great today until I realized I could not shift into 4 wd. Turf and 2 wheel lock work fine and the indicator displays the right thing.

Got home and looked into it. Jacked the rear up just to verify and the diff is open in turf and locks in 2 wheel and the indicator displays the right thing accordingly. Put the wheels back down and moved to the front.

Jacked up the front and put it in 4wd and it seems like the front wheels Almost try to grab... If I spin one tire real slow the other one will roll with it... Spin it fast the other side doesn't move..

Put it in 4wd lock and the front wheels do indeed lock up so it seems like my real issue is getting 4wd to actually engage.

The indicator displays neither 4wd or 4 wheel lock.

I've read posts that the shift box under the rear seat only affects turf / 2wd has nothing to do with 4wd however I did find one video where a fella did adjust the shift box to get the 4wd working??

I'm jumping on this in the morning and would love a few tips before I go to unnecessary effort to get it working.

Thanks

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, I've searched on here and can't find a clear answer to what I have going on... Ride was going great today until I realized I could not shift into 4 wd. Turf and 2 wheel lock work fine and the indicator displays the right thing.

Got home and looked into it. Jacked the rear up just to verify and the diff is open in turf and locks in 2 wheel and the indicator displays the right thing accordingly. Put the wheels back down and moved to the front.

Jacked up the front and put it in 4wd and it seems like the front wheels Almost try to grab... If I spin one tire real slow the other one will roll with it... Spin it fast the other side doesn't move..

Put it in 4wd lock and the front wheels do indeed lock up so it seems like my real issue is getting 4wd to actually engage.

The indicator displays neither 4wd or 4 wheel lock.

I've read posts that the shift box under the rear seat only affects turf / 2wd has nothing to do with 4wd however I did find one video where a fella did adjust the shift box to get the 4wd working??

I'm jumping on this in the morning and would love a few tips before I go to unnecessary effort to get it working.

Thanks
Pretty sure theres a cable adjuster at the rear of the front diff

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This will help
Screenshot 20220429 211040 Chrome
Screenshot 20220429 210930 Chrome
Screenshot 20220429 210822 Chrome
Screenshot 20220429 210521 Chrome
Screenshot 20220429 205704 Chrome
Screenshot 20220429 205429 Chrome

T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I followed the 4wd cable down to the front diff and nothing is bound up, the joint pin and arm are moving freely when engaging the 4wd shifter. I will check the joint pin clearance when I get a chance today.

Reactions: Smitty335
T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the machine doesn't display 4wd it won't display lock. So if the sleeve isn't moving to engage 4wd then your display won't ever show lock.
Hate to ask this but what "sleeve" are you talking about? The pin/adjuster nut on the front diff or In the box behind the front drivers seat?

Reactions: Smitty335
T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, I've checked everything I can think of and I "believe" it's narrowed down to something wrong with my front diff...

The Diff Lock function works perfectly.

The 4wd cable is within spec where the joint pin moves inside the 4wd lever / arm on the passenger rear of the front differential.

With all 4 tires off the ground and the machine in drive the driveshaft is spinning all the way to the front diff so that's good.

Shifting into 4wd does move the pin up so the cable is good.

I can manually rotate the 4wd arm up all way with a screwdriver and it still does nothing.

Are there any other possibilities I'm missing?? Basically it seems to me that the 4wd Arm / Lever is not engaging whatever it's supposed to engage inside the diff.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Are there any other possibilities I'm missing??
You didnt swamp it did you?
Do u have it snorkeled?
If none of the above, your diff might be full of water. Seen that before and it would act like it had Tourette’s

T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there any kind of electrical actuator that works off of the 4wd lever on the diff?? From what I can tell it’s purely mechanical activation so I think something inside isn’t right

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure its not going into 4 wheel drive .Jack the back end up off the ground and put it in 4wd and see if it drives off.Also is it a LE or a Deluxe a le dont have diff lock.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Are you sure its not going into 4 wheel drive .Jack the back end up off the ground and put it in 4wd and see if it drives off.Also is it a LE or a Deluxe a le dont have diff lock.
Hes got a Deluxe. They have lock.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If you jack up the front only and put it in diff lock, you should not be able to turn the front tires a full round. If you can, somethings wrong in the coupler area that connects the driveshaft to the pinion. Either broke parts or cable adjustment. If you cant turn the wheels, that means the coupler is working. Its a limited slip in the front so 1 wheel will spin in 4wd with the front jacked up.

T

tbwolf

Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I got after and and pulled the front diff out…. Here is the problem. Pulled the end off the diff and found this. This Snap ring was sitting on top of the shaft. Not sure why / how it popped out but I’m gonna find a new one tomorrow. Anyone happen to know the size of the ring?

IMG 2639 IMG 2640 IMG 2641

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!