P500 50" Trails

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We are on vacation in Creede, CO and are having a blast with our P1000-5. But unlike home there are a lot of 50" restricted trails. We are seriously tempted to add a P5. My question is what is the best choice for tires that will fit through the gate, give the softest ride on rocks without bending rims and wear well? We do not have any interest in riding through big mud holes or riding balls to the wall over rock trails. All of our riding here and most of the trails we ride in Arkansas are hard base and the major obstacles are rocks on the trails.

Reactions: Grayling
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I am a fan of bighorn2 which are 6 ply. I bought 8 ply roctanes which are hard as a rock. When I sliced a roctane I replaced it with a bh2.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
We are on vacation in Creede, CO and are having a blast with our P1000-5. But unlike home there are a lot of 50" restricted trails. We are seriously tempted to add a P5. My question is what is the best choice for tires that will fit through the gate, give the softest ride on rocks without bending rims and wear well? We do not have any interest in riding through big mud holes or riding balls to the wall over rock trails. All of our riding here and most of the trails we ride in Arkansas are hard base and the major obstacles are rocks on the trails.

26" Big Horn 2.0's. I'm pretty sure it's the most popular aftermarket tire for the P5.
Excellent all around tire. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Montecresto
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
26" Big Horn 2.0's. I'm pretty sure it's the most popular aftermarket tire for the P5.
I have the original Bighorn's on my Rincon. Why aren't those more popular for a P500?

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With these tires do you still have a maximum overall width of 50"?

J

JTW

I'm going with 26" bighorn originals on 12's. I've done my research and I think the wear and extra meat of the originals is a little better than the bighorn 2.0's

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
You can't go wrong with bighorns or bighorn 2.0's. I purchased kenda bearclaw htr's 26x9 all around and they have been excellent. I have around 600-800 miles on them, mostly dirt roads and paved roads. They have hardly any wear and they perform great in all conditions from deep mud to dry pavement. They actually seem quieter on the road than the original tires. And they are 8 ply for added toughness but they are still light enough and have a smoother ride than the original tires. I would definitely purchase them again, if these ones ever wear out. Check the prices against the bighorns. The Kendas are much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Chooglin

If you plan on staying with the stock wheels , you should be ok on the 50" width.
You might go slightly over , depending on the tire you choose!

R

Rustell

50 inch gate with stock wheels and tires...
50 gate

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Bighorn 26's on stock wheels, I still fit through the gate. The restricters are usually 52".

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

You can't go wrong with bighorns or bighorn 2.0's. I purchased kenda bearclaw htr's 26x9 all around and they have been excellent. I have around 600-800 miles on them, mostly dirt roads and paved roads. They have hardly any wear and they perform great in all conditions from deep mud to dry pavement. They actually seem quieter on the road than the original tires. And they are 8 ply for added toughness but they are still light enough and have a smoother ride than the original tires. I would definitely purchase them again, if these ones ever wear out. Check the prices against the bighorns. The Kendas are much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do they measure to size?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have the original Bighorn's on my Rincon. Why aren't those more popular for a P500?

Size and brand of aftermarket tires has been discussed many times on this forum and that was the consensus.
Probably because they are lighter than the original BH's.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Do they measure to size?
Yeah I think the 26" HTR's measure a little over 26". I can't remember exactly, but if you search on here I'm sure you can find it.

Reactions: JTW
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Sedona Ripsaws
I have the Sedona ripsaws and they get through the 50" barriers just barely and in Colorado with the BLM and Forest Service being run by environmentalist's, trust me 50" is 50" not 50 1/8" or more. I was told that future barriers will be 52" because of the complaints. I had some people on bicycles tell me that they should be less than 50". Those are the same people that ride for free and don't have to license their bikes yet enjoy the same tails we do.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Maxxis Cero's
6ply....don't throw
mud...as much as
other maxxis tires
good all around tire

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!