lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think the turf mode would help when pulling a finish mower. The trail mower wouldn't be as big of a deal though.

I have used an ATV to pull a finish mower for years. Not sure the P1k is going to like that. P1k is slipping the clutch below ~2mph. Although I have seen my kids / wife flying along with the mower mine works best in the 2mph range.
The P700 will do low speed all day long, but no turf mode.

FYI, my next mower is going to be a zero turn. Too many trees to be circling with the ATV set up.

J

JTW

I would probably step up to the 1000-5 then. I'm not sure why the dealer told me that, other than they were confused. I think the turf mode would help when pulling a finish mower. The trail mower wouldn't be as big of a deal though.
May want to ask the guys how the 1000 does pulling stuff and underload working.. I've read the 700 is much preferred for work related tasks!

Reactions: nglauer
C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had wanted a Kubota, but had the opportunity to do some bartering and got a P1000-5. I thought it could fill a dual role as farm vehicle and I could load up the family and hit a trail. It's a real nice machine, but it isn't made for farm work. Backing up to a trailer is a real PITA. I have put a lot of time on it around the farm and still haven't taken it to a trail.

I will most likely sell it and find a good used Kubota and do something else with the remaining money. YMWV

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Another dealer said i needed a polaris general 4... which, as much as i love the options, seats, and looks.... i believe it is a glorified rzr... and i can't imagine it would be suited for much other than trails (I've personally seen polaris belt failures and other issues crop up while riding with friends and family). . So I'd be leary, plus they want a lot of $$$ for them.

Make sure you do some serious research on the General before you jump in. There are pretty widespread problems with out of phase drive shafts causing vibration to the point that it ruins the front diff. Not to mention the Polaris Turf mode system is pretty well known for grenading the rear diff. It is bad and widespread enough that there are companies that sell a Turf mode elimination kit for the Ranger because if it happens after your warranty is out, Polaris won't fix it. Even though it is obviously a design problem. I assume the General and the Ranger share this same design.

If you don't mind driving a limo :), the Mule Pro FXT is pretty nice. It is extremely quiet and has a good CVT design and it has a ton of power and uses a 3 cylinder engine out of a small Asian car that is well known for longevity.

However, it is long and it doesn't have a front locker on it. I didn't think the seats were all that comfortable but I don't really think the Pioneer seat is all that comfortable either, but it is passable. Now the Can Am Defender XT has a NICE comfortable seat. Best part of the machine. :)

J

JTW

I had wanted a Kubota, but had the opportunity to do some bartering and got a P1000-5. I thought it could fill a dual role as farm vehicle and I could load up the family and hit a trail. It's a real nice machine, but it isn't made for farm work. Backing up to a trailer is a real PITA. I have put a lot of time on it around the farm and still haven't taken it to a trail.

I will most likely sell it and find a good used Kubota and do something else with the remaining money. YMWV
What you need is a p500!! It's a work horse!

Reactions: joeymt33
nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
What you need is a p500!! It's a work horse!
I'd own a 500 for myself, but I want to haul the wife and kids. I do like them though and see quite a few of them around here.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Make sure you do some serious research on the General before you jump in. There are pretty widespread problems with out of phase drive shafts causing vibration to the point that it ruins the front diff. Not to mention the Polaris Turf mode system is pretty well known for grenading the rear diff. It is bad and widespread enough that there are companies that sell a Turf mode elimination kit for the Ranger because if it happens after your warranty is out, Polaris won't fix it. Even though it is obviously a design problem. I assume the General and the Ranger share this same design.

If you don't mind driving a limo :), the Mule Pro FXT is pretty nice. It is extremely quiet and has a good CVT design and it has a ton of power and uses a 3 cylinder engine out of a small Asian car that is well known for longevity.

However, it is long and it doesn't have a front locker on it. I didn't think the seats were all that comfortable but I don't really think the Pioneer seat is all that comfortable either, but it is passable. Now the Can Am Defender XT has a NICE comfortable seat. Best part of the machine. :)
I like the mule, but it is long (although it looks shorter than a ranger or viking crew). I'd consider the Kawasaki Teryx if it had a functional bed and 5th seat. I've even looked at the bad boy stampede (which now offers a crew). I just don't want a mile long machine, which is why the honda appeals to me. If the 700 had a low range, seating for 5, and a turf mode... it would be a perfect fit. The 1000-5 would probably be best since we are a family of 5 (at least in a few more weeks with the wife due on the 22nd). The kunz arc ease can be pulled pretty fast. I believe that is the unit I'll be purchasing. It's expensive, but i think it'll last a long time. I requested some literature on the DR brand pull-behind finish mowers too.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter and JTW
J

JTW

I'd own a 500 for myself, but I want to haul the wife and kids. I do like them though and see quite a few of them around here.
Man I'm in the same boat.. looking at a 1000-5, only I bought a 500 first. I love it and it would be great if I didn't have a family OR it was a for work purposes!

Reactions: nglauer
nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Man I'm in the same boat.. looking at a 1000-5, only I bought a 500 first. I love it and it would be great if I didn't have a family OR it was a for work purposes!
The 500 would be perfect here, as most trails in ohio have a width restriction. Then again, I'll be riding on private property most of the time, so it doesn't matter how wide it is.
The 500 would be perfect here, as most trails in ohio have a width restriction. Then again, I'll be riding on private property most of the time, so it doesn't matter how wide it is.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I like the mule, but it is long (although it looks shorter than a ranger or viking crew). I'd consider the Kawasaki Teryx if it had a functional bed and 5th seat. I've even looked at the bad boy stampede (which now offers a crew). I just don't want a mile long machine, which is why the honda appeals to me. If the 700 had a low range, seating for 5, and a turf mode... it would be a perfect fit. The 1000-5 would probably be best since we are a family of 5 (at least in a few more weeks with the wife due on the 22nd). The kunz arc ease can be pulled pretty fast. I believe that is the unit I'll be purchasing. It's expensive, but i think it'll last a long time. I requested some literature on the DR brand pull-behind finish mowers too.

The Mule is shorter than the crew models but it is still a lot longer than the Pioneer.

The Teryx loses most of the bed and the tilt feature and it only a 4 seater, although they are all comfortable bucket seats.

The Pioneer 1000-5 sounds like the solution. Honda owns the market right now for a 4/5 person machine that has a functional dump bed that isn't like driving a bus. Nothing else can compete right now. I will attest that having that convertible bed is a very, very nice feature. My wife and I use it around the house and to play with the dogs and the times we go for trail rides other people have wanted to go with us and it is a quick rock and lock and there is room for more.

Make sure you get the bed liner though if you are going to use the bed. Very useful, it fits so well it just snaps in, you don't really need the screws to hold it it and when you get ready to ride with more people just pop it out and put the seats up. It does an excellent job of keeping dirt and trash from fouling up the seat mechanisms.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
The bed liner seems like a must have option. Now I'm curious what the Nov. 17th announcement is....

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I feel like I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting... errrr, maybe my ass just fell asleep??!

To buy one I'm sure you'll be waiting longer. I hope the news is worth waiting for.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
I'm in no hurry, everytime i get close to pulling the trigger something better comes out. At this point, I've became pretty good at window shopping lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!