P1000 8" SATV Portals for Honda Pioneers

alfredsuter

alfredsuter

Apr 19, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do my eyes deceive me or did Super Atv quietly release 8" portals recently? I have a 2021 Pioneer LE (limited) and I have been on the fence about building it because of the stupid axle issue. I didn't want to spend the money on new axles to do a 6" lift and a 6" portal with 35" or 37" tires. I was browsing the SATV website over the weekend to see if there was a memorial day sale and I stumbled upon 8" portals that I had never seen before. I think I might bite the bullet and go with 8" portals and forget the lift all together. Do you guys think I can get 35" on there like that? It sure would save me a bunch of money not having to also do a lift and new axles.

D

DDDonkey

8" portals would be huge and with 35s over kill in my eyes. I have 4" portal with the 30% gear reduction, 35s and I am over geared (36s would be stock gearing). I would go with the 6" and 35s or 37s, the problem you are going to run into is tire rub at full lock. Even with 1.5" forward a-arms, and 2" of lift from the shocks I would rub, I finally changed to the TTC a-arms with 2.5" of forward movement to stop the rubbing.

You can probably get away with 6" portal, 1.5" SATV a-arms and 35's with no rubbing but it may be close. One more thing to thing about with a 6" or 8" portal is your rim size, with my 4" portal I am running a 15" wheel to clear with no spacers.

Post some pics when you get your build done!

alfredsuter

alfredsuter

Apr 19, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
8" portals would be huge and with 35s over kill in my eyes. I have 4" portal with the 30% gear reduction, 35s and I am over geared (36s would be stock gearing). I would go with the 6" and 35s or 37s, the problem you are going to run into is tire rub at full lock. Even with 1.5" forward a-arms, and 2" of lift from the shocks I would rub, I finally changed to the TTC a-arms with 2.5" of forward movement to stop the rubbing.

You can probably get away with 6" portal, 1.5" SATV a-arms and 35's with no rubbing but it may be close. One more thing to thing about with a 6" or 8" portal is your rim size, with my 4" portal I am running a 15" wheel to clear with no spacers.

Post some pics when you get your build done!
Thanks for the advice! I am down here in northern FL and ride trails with deep water and mud holes. I have another buggy (arctic cat wildcat 1000) that has 4" portals with a 30% gear reduction and 3" lift and 33" tires and it's perfect. I want this build to be even bigger and badder though. I never go fast. In fact, I never use high gear at all. Hence my interest in the cheapest way to get tall and get through deep mud. The 8" portals are ONLY offered with 45% gear reduction from what I see. And I really don't want to do a lift at all if I can help it because I want to keep stock geometry because of the axles on my Limited.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
About to drop the 60% version in a week or two....

5pKK.gif

Link...

With forward arms and the 8" portals you can easily clear a 36", probably a 37". If you go with the 8" on top of our 6" full lift you can clear up to a 44" maybe bigger.

alfredsuter

alfredsuter

Apr 19, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

With forward arms and the 8" portals you can easily clear a 36", probably a 37". If you go with the 8" on top of our 6" full lift you can clear up to a 44" maybe bigger.

Thanks for the info! I think I might wait for the 60% version if it's only a week or two. I'm planning on not doing a lift at all right now (maybe in a year or 2) but going with the 8" portals and the 1.5" forward a arms. Do I need the high clearance rear a arms too? I'm planning on using System 3 ST-3 22" Wheels and 37" XT400 Tires. I hope there's no rubbing. If there is would there be any other way to squeak out another inch somehow?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
After running 30% portals with 31’s I would highly recommend the 60% with 35’s…….

No such thing as too low of gearing with these DCT machines.

The bog and no spin is pure rage inducement……..

@SuperATV you guys need to find a way to raise engagement rpm on these things……

#1 modification needed on DCT machines…….

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Thanks for the info! I think I might wait for the 60% version if it's only a week or two. I'm planning on not doing a lift at all right now (maybe in a year or 2) but going with the 8" portals and the 1.5" forward a arms. Do I need the high clearance rear a arms too? I'm planning on using System 3 ST-3 22" Wheels and 37" XT400 Tires. I hope there's no rubbing. If there is would there be any other way to squeak out another inch somehow?
Hell yeah buddy! Its going to be a beast.

- The rear arms aren't required, but I would HIGHLY recommend them. There's a bunch of leverage on the arms with the 8"s, and those stock arms are twigs. Ours are beefy and have a warranty.
- You may get some rubbing if the tire measures a true 37"s, but most run short. Even then, we're pretty conservative on those measurements and that would be the absolute most extreme suspension compression and full turn scenario....so you're probably good in 99% of situations.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
After running 30% portals with 31’s I would highly recommend the 60% with 35’s…….

No such thing as too low of gearing with these DCT machines.

The bog and no spin is pure rage inducement……..

@SuperATV you guys need to find a way to raise engagement rpm on these things……

#1 modification needed on DCT machines…….
We tossed this around when it first came out a few years back. It kept getting pushed back down the list. I'll send it up the flag pole again and see if its something the guys back in engineering will consider again.

alfredsuter

alfredsuter

Apr 19, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hell yeah buddy! Its going to be a beast.

- The rear arms aren't required, but I would HIGHLY recommend them. There's a bunch of leverage on the arms with the 8"s, and those stock arms are twigs. Ours are beefy and have a warranty.
- You may get some rubbing if the tire measures a true 37"s, but most run short. Even then, we're pretty conservative on those measurements and that would be the absolute most extreme suspension compression and full turn scenario....so you're probably good in 99% of situations.

Thank you for the help. Will you let me know when you guys drop the 60% so I can order right away?

advertisement
alfredsuter

alfredsuter

Apr 19, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow - so you got the 60% reduction, and running everything else pretty much stock?

@SuperATV - Hey Lane, I was wondering...would you mind if I dated Beth?
Yep, 60% reduction with 22" wheels and 37" tires. The only other thing I did was the SATV front and rear A arms. I also put Scott's Florida Cracker tune on it. I'm using stage 2 (hot trail) on it right now until I install a better intake and throttle body. I'm against an aftermarket exhaust because my other buggy is so damn loud and I refuse to have anything louder than stock. Any advice would be welcome though.

G

Giunto

Nov 21, 2020
Deerfield beach Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, 60% reduction with 22" wheels and 37" tires. The only other thing I did was the SATV front and rear A arms. I also put Scott's Florida Cracker tune on it. I'm using stage 2 (hot trail) on it right now until I install a better intake and throttle body. I'm against an aftermarket exhaust because my other buggy is so damn loud and I refuse to have anything louder than stock. Any advice would be welcome though.
what kind of top speed? i am in the process of same set up, but i run ttc 0lift

Reactions: SuperATV and Lady01
G

Giunto

Nov 21, 2020
Deerfield beach Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

5pKK.gif

Link...

i run texas tuff customs 0lift and i want to put 8"portals with 22x237

Reactions: Lady01 and SuperATV
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!