P1000 87, 89 or 93 octane gas?

Jayme

Jayme

Nov 29, 2015
Hernando, MS
What gas are you guys running in your pioneers? The book says 86 minimum. I run 93 octane in my 08' rancher. Thoughts? Thanks...

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
91 non oxy, it's what I've been using in my Honda ATC three wheelers but I think you can use regular pump gas.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I also tend to run 93 and occasionally non ethanol when I run across it.

So far. Its just been 93 for the 1000!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I run 93 octane and add Amsoil quickshot to all my jetskis, motorcycles, mowers, P1K etc. and have never had a single issue with any of them.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to be stupid but Honda says only run unleaded gas in the 1000 Pioneer. Alot of my friends run clear gas. Question, is clear gas unleaded?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always run 93 in my engines that done get the gas run out of them within 2-3 weeks. The octane value will drop quickly and I like to have as high a starting point as I can.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
What does Honda specify for minimum octane rating?

I buy 93 non-ethanol for my plane, so buying more the
1k3 won't be an issue.

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
What does Honda specify for minimum octane rating?

I buy 93 non-ethanol for my plane, so buying more the
1k3 won't be an issue.
I believe Honda recommends min octane of 86

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I believe Honda recommends min octane of 86
Since I dont actually own one yet, all I can do is ask questions. Did I read somewhere that the 1000 has dual plugs? Is this only on the 1000? Since higher octane is usually recommended in higher performance vehicles, what would you gain or would be the perceived gain in using the higher octane? I don't think 77hp out of 998 cc is exactly stretching performance barriers for Honda.

Reactions: Gabriel727
Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but higher octane means less resistant to knocking...therefore less resistant to combustion. So unless your motor is setup to run high octane, you're potentially losing out on a small amount of power and wasting money.

W

WFM

Jun 20, 2015
Maine
Its very hard here to find non-ethanol gas at all. I buy a stable additive-360 I think its called to stop the ethanol from separating from the gas when it sits. NOW the government want to bump up the ethanol from 10% here to 15%...that will kill all 2-cycle motors completely . I use 93 when I can find it, it has less ethanol and lasts longer.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct me if I'm wrong, but higher octane means less resistant to knocking...therefore less resistant to combustion. So unless your motor is setup to run high octane, you're potentially losing out on a small amount of power and wasting money.

If you don't use it all within 2-3 weeks the ethanol has already started to separate and cause issues and the octane value of 86 is probably lower 80's or close to the 70's by then. Which means your running lower than is recommended and getting less power.

That's the sad fact of gasoline, diesel lasts a lot longer but also has water and bacteria issues, gels at low temps and because of the MUCH higher pressures associated with the combustion process the motor weighs 2-3 times as much.

Reactions: Gabriel727
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
If you don't use it all within 2-3 weeks the ethanol has already started to separate and cause issues and the octane value of 86 is probably lower 80's or close to the 70's by then. Which means your running lower than is recommended and getting less power.

That's the sad fact of gasoline, diesel lasts a lot longer but also has water and bacteria issues, gels at low temps and because of the MUCH higher pressures associated with the combustion process the motor weighs 2-3 times as much.
I guess my question would then be does having non ethanol gas help or hurt? I guess I have never noticed the separation issue in my Mustang which I do leave in the barn through the winters here. I do add Stabil but I never thought it really did anything besides provide piece of mind. I can tell you that the engine in that beast is the most complicated I have EVER come across.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I guess my question would then be does having non ethanol gas help or hurt? I guess I have never noticed the separation issue in my Mustang which I do leave in the barn through the winters here. I do add Stabil but I never thought it really did anything besides provide piece of mind. I can tell you that the engine in that beast is the most complicated I have EVER come across.
I do have access to non ethanol fuel in my area. Its a little pricey. Would that be a better option if I had a pioneer that would be 2-3 weeks inbetween uses?

W

WFM

Jun 20, 2015
Maine
I always used non-ethanol gas or real gas in my atv's sxs chainsaws ect when I used to be able to get it. Its a lot better.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Puregas app , shows you where the stations are. We have a couple in a 10 mile radius. Yes non-E is better the Ethanol degrades rubber and corrodes metals.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!