A-Arm Guards

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
Here in the Piney Woods of East Texas there is a lot of forestry debris. I have worried about the boots on the p4. Here is a link showing the Universal Parts vs. Honda versions. My perception is Honda will allow fewer sticks but harder to rinse the mud out. I bought Universal at half the price.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40
The plastic removal took about 20 minutes. Got them to room temperature, then used a hair dryer to start peeling a corner then the rest of the plastic peeled easily. I primed with a white primer because it was what I had then painted black. Honda did a great job minimizing shining for us deer hunters so I did not leave the shields a pretty shiny aluminum. The p4 is iced in with our son now so installation is pending.

Attachments

• SAM_0589.JPG
    SAM_0589.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 1,567
N

Nevadawalt

Dec 5, 2013
I also order them off of ebay. Do you have any concerns drilling holes in the front A-arms?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would consider a ubolt instead or drilling holes in the A-Arms.

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
The drilling goes in the arm front to back brace. The guards have square holes for the stainless carriage head bolts. I have not installed them yet so can't remember if front or rear. The others have metal strips that clamp not drill.

R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
I installed these today. The rear went just fine, but the front were hitting the oem plastic guards By the hydraulic line. I trimmed the plastic and it kept hitting it, so I decided to remove the plastic guards and see f that was okay. The bent part of the arm guards still hits the hydraulic line bolt, even after I tried bending the aluminum plate more. It appears that the aluminum guards on the front interfere with the steering by not allowing the wheel to turn inward 100%. I will post pics when I get to the computer. The iPad won't let me.

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
I contacted the mfg. and their response "They run really close to the caliper. If they happen to rub it’s that big of deal, they will not gouge into the caliper. You can tweak them once they are on by pulling them away from the caliper, just don’t overtweak them so they get into the rim. " Probably intended it's NOT that big of a deal.

N

Nevadawalt

Dec 5, 2013
Why couldn't you file off 1/4 inch from the part hitting the hydraulic line bolt. Would that interfere with anything and give you enough clearance?

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had my Pioneer at UTV tech for a while so they could use it to make custom fit skid plates, A arm guards etc for the Pioneer. I know they are real close to having the parts into production. They have done the soft mockup using aluminum and will soon have the completed products in high carbon steel. I have used their stuff before and it is top quality.

advertisement
N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Cant wait to see what UTV tech comes up with.Hope they make them to cover and protect everything and that they make them easy to install like the honda ones.

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
I finally installed the A-Arm guards today. It took about 4 hours. You will need the following: Drill, sockets 10 and 7/16 with several extensions. 7/16 combination wrench. Bungee cords to hold them in place while drilling and bolting. Light. 2 ea 4" blocks and 2 ea 8" blocks to drive up on. Big crescent or stillson wrench to tweak. Tape to hold carriage head bolts while you put nuts on.
For safety, put in 4 Lock and drove front end up on blocks. Set brake and kill it in D. Then when doing the rear same thing but kill it in R.

There are no instructions so refer to eBay pictures. Slots aim rearward and slide guards as far as you can toward center. I left the stock plastic guards off but reinstalled the bolts.

Other than being a tired geezer it went well.

Attachments

• SAM_0604.JPG
    SAM_0604.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 755
  • SAM_0605.JPG
    SAM_0605.JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 644
  • SAM_0606.JPG
    SAM_0606.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 677
  • SAM_0607.JPG
    SAM_0607.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 682
S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
I was worried bout my boots also loose piece barb wire will rip it. Looks like these r best both worlds. I think I'm goin with univ.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
Nevadawalt said:
I also order them off of ebay. Do you have any concerns drilling holes in the front A-arms?
Yes I do . Could weaken a arm . Do u like the way they installed.

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
I'm not concerned for the universal ones. the front ones require drilling two holes on the cross brace that run front to back and one in a gusset. The rear ones have one hole in a gusset then a clamping bar. Total of 8 holes.

N

Nevadawalt

Dec 5, 2013
Shane said:
Nevadawalt said:
Yes I do . Could weaken a arm . Do u like the way they installed.
Sorry for taking so long to answer. Been hunting.

The guards mounted ok. And it looks like they should be secure enough the way they are mounted. Did run into a minor problem. When you turned the wheel completely in one direction or the other the arm would contact the plastic caliper guard and you would lose your brakes. Tried cutting the plastic guard with no success. On another forum a guy devised a test to see if it really was the arm guard causing the problem and it looks like that was it. He suggested removing the plastic guard which I think is ok. Without the plastic guard there doesn't seem to be any brake problems.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!