P500 About replacing stock Tires and Rims P5

C

Chooglin

What is a 5+2 wheel? What spacer did you use? I'm trying to put in an order in with Rocky Mountain, going with 26" tires...have no idea yet about wheels. I'm not sure what changing the tire width does to handling or if it is an advantage other than having the same wheels and tires for both front and back ??
If you are restricted to a 50" gate , I would stay away from spacers. At most ,I would go with a 5+2 for the same reason!

A 5+2 wheel is going to give you 1.00 more width than stock wheels!

Reactions: RobbieS and R-Lamm
RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
If you are restricted to a 50" gate , I would stay away from spacers. At most ,I would go with a 5+2 for the same reason!

A 5+2 wheel is going to give you 1.00 more width than stock wheels!

Have been doing my homework today, and that is exactly what I figured out...I'm only worried about whether the back should be wider than the front?? How do you decide, and what are the differences. I do think it would be nice to have all four the same....I'm thinking 26" tires on 14" 5+2 wheels all around. Sound ok? Thanks Chooglin for your help.

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I love my 5/2 offset rims and original Bighorn 26” tires from Rocky Mountain, I also got the ride on tire puncture put in when they mounted the tires. Attached is exactly what I bought after much research. The 26” tires gain you about 2.5” of ground clearance since Bighorn original run big: View attachment 59174View attachment 59175View attachment 59176

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to zoom in, but could not read it.

C

Chooglin

Have been doing my homework today, and that is exactly what I figured out...I'm only worried about whether the back should be wider than the front?? How do you decide, and what are the differences. I do think it would be nice to have all four the same....I'm thinking 26" tires on 14" 5+2 wheels all around. Sound ok? Thanks Chooglin for your help.
I really don't think it matters much if the rear and front are not the same , as long as it's not some rediculous amount. If one is going to be wider than the other , I would rather have the wider width in the rear JMO.

What is the reason For going 14" wheel vs 12" ? The only thing with the 14" wheel , you will have a stiffer/less sidewall and could give you a rougher ride.

I have 12" 5+2 wheels with 26x9x12 Bighorn Original tires. I will be running 1" spacers in the front and 1 1/2" spacers in the rear. My front width will end up being a 1/2" wider than the rear with this setup.

After I install the spacers , I will post back with exact widths front and back , just to give you an idea of what route you mite want to take.

Reactions: R-Lamm and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
A tire is not true..in height
with low psi...
something to keep in
...mind
just sayin

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
When I bought mine the consensus was 26" tires and 5+2 12" wheels. If doing it again I would research 14" wheels and 27" tires. As for brand, determine what you ride most and get a tread pattern suited for that. Consensus says BH's or the like for sand and Rip Saws or the like for mud. As for tire widths, I run 9's in front and 11's in rear. I have a spare that is a 9" and will fit front or back just to get me home, can't rotate though.
Let us know what you decide and how they work out for you.
14" ride rough..
only smooth on black top
...Imo

C

Chooglin

@RobbieS I'm not trying to steer you away from the 14" wheels , I just thought I would mention the sidewalls , just to let you know.

Someone that has had both 12" & 14" wheels on there machine, could chime in and let you know if it makes much difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I really don't think it matters much if the rear and front are not the same , as long as it's not some rediculous amount. If one is going to be wider than the other , I would rather have the wider width in the rear JMO.

What is the reason For going 14" wheel vs 12" ? The only thing with the 14" wheel , you will have a stiffer/less sidewall and could give you a rougher ride.

I have 12" 5+2 wheels with 26x9x12 Bighorn Original tires. I will be running 1" spacers in the front and 1 1/2" spacers in the rear. My front width will end up being a 1/2" wider than the rear with this setup.

After I install the spacers , I will post back with exact widths front and back , just to give you an idea of what route you mite want to take.

No special real reason for the 14"rs; I hadn't considered your configuration, 26 x 9 x 12 (by four), makes sense to this newbie, for some reason I thought there was some advantage to being taller..? ? :) With your configuration, which spacers? Thx.

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
@RobbieS I'm not trying to steer you away from the 14" wheels , I just thought I would mention the sidewalls , just to let you know.

Someone that has had both 12" & 14" wheels on there machine, could chime in and let you know if it makes much difference.

Ok thanks, hope they chime in.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
When I bought mine the consensus was 26" tires and 5+2 12" wheels. If doing it again I would research 14" wheels and 27" tires. As for brand, determine what you ride most and get a tread pattern suited for that. Consensus says BH's or the like for sand and Rip Saws or the like for mud. As for tire widths, I run 9's in front and 11's in rear. I have a spare that is a 9" and will fit front or back just to get me home, can't rotate though.
Let us know what you decide and how they work out for you.
I went with 14 "rims with 5+2 on front and 5+3 on rear, with 26-8 's on front and 26-10 on rear ,it is 53" wide in rear now,I am thinking of going 27-9 and 27-11 next, but if I was buying wheels again I would go back to 12" with 27" tires,I think the ride would be better with more sidewall

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
No special real reason for the 14"rs; I hadn't considered your configuration, 26 x 9 x 12 (by four), makes sense to this newbie, for some reason I thought there was some advantage to being taller..? ? :) With your configuration, which spacers? Thx.
STI 12" teflon coated bead lock wheels with 5-2 offset and 26x9 tires all the way around. Super ATV 1.5" spacers on rear only. I love this set up and have taken this machine everywhere.

C

Chooglin

Today I moved my 1.00" spacers to the front and installed 1 1/2" spacers on the rear.

This is my setup now:
Front
26x9x12 Bighorn Originals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1.00" spacers=54 3/8" width.

Rear
26x9x12 Bighorn Originals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers=54" width.

Last edited by a moderator:
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Today I moved my 1.00" spacers to the front and installed 1 1/2" spacers on the rear.

This is my setup now:
Front
26x9x12 Bighorn Origonals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1.00" spacers=54 3/8" width.

Rear
26x9x12 Bighorn Origonals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers=54" width.
Kool bro..
wat PSI.....you going with

Reactions: Chooglin
I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

This is my setup now:
Front
26x9x12 Bighorn Originals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1.00" spacers=54 3/8" width.

Rear
26x9x12 Bighorn Originals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers=54" width.

Chooglin would you mind posting a pic of this new set up?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!