P500 About replacing stock Tires and Rims P5

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I've got 950 rough miles on the stock rims and tires...the tires are looking pretty worn. I have read several comments about what others are running, but there seems to be so much information for a newbie, the information is overwhelming trying to figure out what sizes of tires and kinds of rims to purchase.

I'm not sure if adding spacers is for me as I have to go through those 50" gates out west often.....but, I could easily be convinced that a wider stance is worth it.

Where do I start trying to figure this out?

Thank you in advance.

C

Chooglin

It seems the majority of the 500 owner go with 5+2 wheel and 26"-27" tires. The next question is , what width tire do you want to run, front and back. I personally like the same width on all four but that may not work for everyone. This allows you to carry a spare ,that will work front or back and it allows you to rotate the tires.

If you go above a 28" tire , chances are , you will rub on the frame but not in all cases ,it depends on the wheel tire combo you choose.

As far as spacers , I like them , they definitely make the 500 more stable , especially if you go with a taller tire!

I am sure others will chime in , this is my take on the subject!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
15 rims, 5/2 offset, with 27 tires, Bighorn type tread, no rub, about 54 inches new width. No regrets, big improvement on looks and performance.

Reactions: rocmar
GaryG

GaryG

Oct 20, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 500
Also someone once told me more aggressive tires cause the axle to ware out. Especially if you drive on pavement. It that true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Chooglin

It's how much the wheel is offset from the hub ,inside and out !

52 offset

C

Chooglin

Also someone once told me more aggressive tires cause the axle to ware out. Especially if you drive on pavement. It that true.

These are offroad machines , so you want to go with an aggressive tire. Do they wear out axles , who really knows. I wouldn't be to concerned.

You will also hear many tell you that spacers are bad for wheel bearings and ball joints. If they wear out or break , you go buy new ones and replace them , that's all part of the game!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The rear solid axle wears any tires during turns on pavement, agressive tires have more rubber, so enjoy and run them a long time, then replace.

Reactions: rocmar
U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
I love my 5/2 offset rims and original Bighorn 26” tires from Rocky Mountain, I also got the ride on tire puncture put in when they mounted the tires. Attached is exactly what I bought after much research. The 26” tires gain you about 2.5” of ground clearance since Bighorn original run big: 4890d82bc9adbcc54cc71056dee7e4751bbc4b62386d45006eed65b3566eaf383e1430adc38d7fdde3aed754af934bd0

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I've got 950 rough miles on the stock rims and tires...the tires are looking pretty worn. I have read several comments about what others are running, but there seems to be so much information for a newbie, the information is overwhelming trying to figure out what sizes of tires and kinds of rims to purchase.

I'm not sure if adding spacers is for me as I have to go through those 50" gates out west often.....but, I could easily be convinced that a wider stance is worth it.

Where do I start trying to figure this out?

Thank you in advance.
Me too ! But I tried the 1.5 spacers and I fit through our 50 inch (tight) gates ! So happy , those made a great difference .

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Me too ! But I tried the 1.5 spacers and I fit through our 50 inch (tight) gates ! So happy , those made a great difference .
Where are you riding in Arizona that has 50" gates? I do a lot of riding in the Apache-Sitgreaves Forest and yet to see a gate.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Where are you riding in Arizona that has 50" gates? I do a lot of riding in the Apache-Sitgreaves Forest and yet to see a gate.
40% of the trails in Yavapai county (Prescott area) are gated 50" trails . Maybe not quite that many but a lot of awesome trails .

Reactions: RobbieS
hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Huck. are you using 1.5 spacers on back wheels only? or all 4.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the 5+2 ITP steel wheels 12" tall, they cost bout $40 - $45 each and seem sufficient. After I purchased the rims that were in the "What fits my machine" selection someone on facebook found the same wheels with another inch of stick out that was not on that list but fit fine. If you can find those you would not "Need" spacers to get a little more width.
If you are not a rock crawler and do not need to Air down and have a big ole sidewall for flexin I would suggest getting a 14" diameter wheel, that will give you a lot more tire choices in the future, even cheap light truck tires.

Other than that I think these guys have nailed it down. I would add that in my opinion life begins t 28" tall on these things. I run a 30" and feel it's about perfect, and I tend to follow where I should not (behind drunk idiots that really should be on youtube.) Tread patterns and overall diameter and width are really a regional thing, I ride muddy hillsides and need an agricultural tires that can let me climb tree roots and rock ledges like a ladder, but if I were out west my needs may be different.
Just my .02

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
When I bought mine the consensus was 26" tires and 5+2 12" wheels. If doing it again I would research 14" wheels and 27" tires. As for brand, determine what you ride most and get a tread pattern suited for that. Consensus says BH's or the like for sand and Rip Saws or the like for mud. As for tire widths, I run 9's in front and 11's in rear. I have a spare that is a 9" and will fit front or back just to get me home, can't rotate though.
Let us know what you decide and how they work out for you.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
40% of the trails in Yavapai county (Prescott area) are gated 50" trails . Maybe not quite that many but a lot of awesome trails .
Good to know. I have yet to run across any gate restrictions where I ride. I ride with a few wide bodies (Popos, CanAms). I ride mainly in the Galiuro Mountains and the White Mountains.

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Colorado high country many 50" gates. I like the 50" areas because they cut down on the amount of traffic. I've never actually measured them though.

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
It seems the majority of the 500 owner go with 5+2 wheel and 26"-27" tires. The next question is , what width tire do you want to run, front and back. I personally like the same width on all four but that may not work for everyone. This allows you to carry a spare ,that will work front or back and it allows you to rotate the tires.

If you go above a 28" tire , chances are , you will rub on the frame but not in all cases ,it depends on the wheel tire combo you choose.

As far as spacers , I like them , they definitely make the 500 more stable , especially if you go with a taller tire!

I am sure others will chime in , this is my take on the subject!

What is a 5+2 wheel? What spacer did you use? I'm trying to put in an order in with Rocky Mountain, going with 26" tires...have no idea yet about wheels. I'm not sure what changing the tire width does to handling or if it is an advantage other than having the same wheels and tires for both front and back ??

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Good to know. I have yet to run across any gate restrictions where I ride. I ride with a few wide bodies (Popos, CanAms). I ride mainly in the Galiuro Mountains and the White Mountains.

In Colorado on the western slope, 50" gates are pretty common in the high country. I'm sure there is plenty of room for a couple of more inches (spacers) to get through.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!