P1000 Accessory Fuse block switched power question

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm adding a dual battery with True isolator and Blue Sea Systems fuse block to my 1000 to handle accessories. Power for the accessory block wiill come from the Odyssey brand 2nd battery. But if I want switched power for an accessory, how does that work? Is there a way to make some of the pickups on the accessory block siwtched?

Also - can I simply run a battery cable back to the main battery negative terminal to 'pick up' the system ground? Or just run a cable to a drilled/tapped hole in the frame under the hood?

Any help for this electrically challenged builder will be appreciated. (But pretend you're explaining things to your Golden Retriever in any reply! :) ) Fuse block link below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000THQ0CQ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm adding a dual battery with True isolator and Blue Sea Systems fuse block to my 1000 to handle accessories. Power for the accessory block wiill come from the Odyssey brand 2nd battery. But if I want switched power for an accessory, how does that work? Is there a way to make some of the pickups on the accessory block siwtched?

Also - can I simply run a battery cable back to the main battery negative terminal to 'pick up' the system ground? Or just run a cable to a drilled/tapped hole in the frame under the hood?

Any help for this electrically challenged builder will be appreciated. (But pretend you're explaining things to your Golden Retriever in any reply! :) ) Fuse block link below:
So you want some to work with key off and some to work with key on ?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was thinking more some working when the rig is running, others when the key is simply turned to the 'On' position, but without starting the engine.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking more some working when the rig is running, others when the key is simply turned to the 'On' position, but without starting the engine.
That's a tough one because as far as I know of with the key on everything in the factory fuse box is hot I don't know where to get the power only when it's running? Since the p1000 doesn't really have an accessory I just made mine to some work with the key off and my high voltage items to work with the key on or running @CumminsPusher

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I run my accessories off the 2nd battery and have a master accessory switch so that I can kill the line from the battery to the Fuse block. To do this in installed a battery isolator and relay in between the 2nd battery's + terminal and the input on the fuse block
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HC6UJ0/?tag=sxsweb24-20

There is a way to wire with a switch so that accessories are either powered by the key or the accessory switch but you will need to search for that. I would avoid setting up your system so that you are turning your key to the power accessories when you don't want the engine running - when the Key is turned the hour meter is running.

Edit to add this was one of the threads that helped me out the most when I was doing mine -lots of info
P1000 - Electrical Help

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's a tough one because as far as I know of with the key on everything in the factory fuse box is hot I don't know where to get the power only when it's running? Since the p1000 doesn't really have an accessory I just made mine to some work with the key off and my high voltage items to work with the key on or running @CumminsPusher

Same type setup here.
I have a dual relay setup that is key or separate accessory switch. With this setup I run all the lower power stuff through the switch (so you can sit listening to stereo or low powered items) and once key turns on you have full range. I don’t suggest using key on for use while not running, fuel pump is on, hour meter going, etc.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run my accessories off the 2nd battery and have a master accessory switch so that I can kill the line from the battery to the Fuse block. To do this in installed a battery isolator and relay in between the 2nd battery's + terminal and the input on the fuse block
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HC6UJ0/?tag=sxsweb24-20

There is a way to wire with a switch so that accessories are either powered by the key or the accessory switch but you will need to search for that. I would avoid setting up your system so that you are turning your key to the power accessories when you don't want the engine running - when the Key is turned the hour meter is running.

Edit to add this was one of the threads that helped me out the most when I was doing mine -lots of info
P1000 - Electrical Help
And fuel pump that was my thought

D

Deleted member 3748

[QUOTE="Also - can I simply run a battery cable back to the main battery negative terminal to 'pick up' the system ground? Or just run a cable to a drilled/tapped hole in the frame under the hood?[/QUOTE]
You should ground right to the frame. Be sure to sand or grind all the paint away so you make a good connection and use dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. I made a second ground as a backup and also connected it to a buss bar so I can ground all of my accessories to it.

Reactions: jinx and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Same type setup here.
I have a dual relay setup that is key or separate accessory switch. With this setup I run all the lower power stuff through the switch (so you can sit listening to stereo or low powered items) and once key turns on you have full range. I don’t suggest using key on for use while not running, fuel pump is on, hour meter going, etc.
Good point!

advertisement
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds about how I have mine set up. The factory electrical items are run only on key on. The aftermarket accessories run only off the second battery. I have that second battery wired to a relay switch that opens and closes from a dash switch (3-way) so I can run my accessories:
up: key on
center: off
down: runs key off only using second battery and not the starting battery.

More details on my build: P1000 - OnTheJob's P1K-3 Build: "The Pie-O-Near"

R

Ragec

Aug 29, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds about how I have mine set up. The factory electrical items are run only on key on. The aftermarket accessories run only off the second battery. I have that second battery wired to a relay switch that opens and closes from a dash switch (3-way) so I can run my accessories:
up: key on
center: off
down: runs key off only using second battery and not the starting battery.

More details on my build: P1000 - OnTheJob's P1K-3 Build: "The Pie-O-Near"
What is your reasoning for putting the switch? I'm was just going to run from the battery to a fuse block then to the accessories? I'm not following why everyone is running a switch to control this if you have an isolator between your two batteries. Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!