JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Recently my oldest son and I have taken up gliding... like airplanes w/out engines.

I wanted to add a dash cam / action cam to record events inside the cockpit like Take off and Landings... hehe

My question: Which name brands/models have features that show SPEEDS, ANGLES, and MAPS? Detailed GPS stuff.

I would really like something w/ built in WIFI if possible, so I don't have to pull the card to get the footage. My dashcam has the wifi... and it's AWESOME. I can pull video and upload to Youtube/Instagram with little or no effort. No computers needed.

Reactions: sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Garmin has a great overlay that lots of people on here use. Im using the Virb but there are some better version of them out there now.

I also have a few 360 cams that are awesome in a cab. I use it in the Pioneer but could see how it could be even better in a cockpit

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Initially, I wanted to just add a portable charging battery pack and bring my dashcam... but I recall seeing roll and bank, speeds, etc on some of your video uploads, which got me to question dashcam vs action cam...

Aviation has some other quirks like electrical noise when it comes to instruments that the self contained (battery) action cams seem to be better equipped. Plus less wires is always a good thing. Waterproof, and "IF" I wanted to mount externally at some point, better mounting options on action cam.

I'm googling like crazy, but wanted some real world experience. Thanks!

Reactions: sharp and Remington
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
love my 360, but garmin has a great overlay. I would have got this if i could have afforded it.

Im using the 360 one and Virb XE. Both great cameras

D

DDDonkey

love my 360, but garmin has a great overlay. I would have got this if i could have afforded it.

Im using the 360 one and Virb XE. Both great cameras

That is cool, I have never seen that. It is pretty interesting looking around on a youtube video. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: sharp
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just figured out what youre talking about... I was like why would I want a backwards facing camera. I can't see anything.

THEN I realized the directional control.

THIS WILL WORK.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just figured out what youre talking about... I was like why would I want a backwards facing camera. I can't see anything.

THEN I realized the directional control.

THIS WILL WORK.
Haha. Yea it’s pretty cool. I haven’t used their 360 but when I can afford one that’s the route I want to go.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the Garmin also has overlays that are made for aircraft

Examples of some of the gages you can select
Upload 2019 2 21 15 15 3

Upload 2019 2 21 15 15 21

Upload 2019 2 21 15 15 40

Reactions: JsheII3
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is that post production stuff or menus from the camera itself?

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Haha. Yea it’s pretty cool. I haven’t used their 360 but when I can afford one that’s the route I want to go.
What were you using in that video you posted?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!