Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm considering getting 3-4 cameras that will send the pictures to my phone.
I have an iPhone running on AT&T.
What do I need to know about: the cameras, the service, the settings, etc...?
What about batteries?
What camera do you HIGHLY recommend?

I'm not technologically inept. But, I am lazy. The cameras must be simple.

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had several spypoint and have been pleased. With name brand lithium batteries I have gotten 1.5-2 years on the batteries staying out year round in MN. The spypoint cameras come with multiple plans and the free plan comes with 100 pictures a month. This is what I use. In most locations this has been more than enough, minus the fall when activity for deer ramps up. In the event I go over 100 I just go out to the cameras and swap cards. They are all located on property I live on so it isn't a big deal to go check them. I have several other non cellular ones I check and maintain also only because they were cheap.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Tactacam is the way to go right now. They are kicking the s*** out of everyone for the price. I've run 5 of them for the past couple years and love them. If you're on private property or don't have any fear of someone stealing them, get the Reveal-X Gen 2.0. If you want a built-in GPS chip (to hunt down an asshole who stole it), get the Reveal X-Pro. You can get either a Verizon or ATT network on them. You don't have to be on the same carrier as your phone. So say you want to place a camera in a specific area, but Verizon has the better network there; put a Verizon camera there (X 2.0 only).

I've had nothing but praise for my (5) X-2.0 cameras. I had a couple stolen last year so I'll be replacing them with the X-Pro so I can track them down (I cannot wait...).

Basic differences-

Reveal X-2.0:
-Must select Verizon or ATT when purchasing
-No GPS chip
-No view screen on camera

Reveal X-Pro:
-Works on both networks
-GPS chip
-Has a view screen

As for batteries or charging, I used to buy lithiums for all my cameras. They lasted all season, but boy were they pricey. I bought a 250 pack of Amazon Basics AAs last year and they lasted for nearly my whole season. Much more affordable. You can also run solar panels if you'd like, or tie in a larger external battery if you so choose.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tactacam is the way to go right now. They are kicking the s*** out of everyone for the price. I've run 5 of them for the past couple years and love them. If you're on private property or don't have any fear of someone stealing them, get the Reveal-X Gen 2.0. If you want a built-in GPS chip (to hunt down an asshole who stole it), get the Reveal X-Pro. You can get either a Verizon or ATT network on them. You don't have to be on the same carrier as your phone. So say you want to place a camera in a specific area, but Verizon has the better network there; put a Verizon camera there (X 2.0 only).

I've had nothing but praise for my (5) X-2.0 cameras. I had a couple stolen last year so I'll be replacing them with the X-Pro so I can track them down (I cannot wait...).

Basic differences-

Reveal X-2.0:
-No GPS chip

Reveal X-Pro:
-Works on both networks
-GPS chip
-Has a view screen

As for batteries or charging, I used to buy lithiums for all my cameras. They lasted all season, but boy were they pricey. I bought a 250 pack of Amazon Basics AAs last year and they lasted for nearly my whole season. Much more affordable. You can also run solar panels if you'd like, or tie in a larger external battery if you so choose

What kind of plan do you use? limited number of photos? unlimited photos? instant notifications?

I may be revealing my ignorance. Do they all send you a notice as soon as the camera detects movement?

What is the "normal" rate for this type of service? and do I go to my AT&T store to set that up?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I agree with @dweber23tr on the spy point. There the only cam that gives you ANY free pics to start with. There cams are also multi cell. I have 5 of them
The app is also easy to use.
Ive had multiple brands of cell cams and by far spy point is the best of them. Its bot perfect by any means but they are trying to improve ill give them that

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
What kind of plan do you use? limited number of photos? unlimited photos? instant notifications?

I may be revealing my ignorance. Do they all send you a notice as soon as the camera detects movement?

What is the "normal" rate for this type of service? and do I go to my AT&T store to set that up?
I tend to use their base plan, which I believe is $5/camera/250 photos/month.

Instant notification is possible if you want that gratification, however, i will consume more battery in do so. You can select other upload options if you'd like to consolidate the uploads and save batteries. Most will send you a push notification if you have instant uploads turned on.

I also have a 3-4yo basic spy point model (forget which) that has the little novelty solar panel on top. I do have to say, it's been a reliable little bugger. The solar panel does help, though it is limited by its orientation. Standard trail camera setup doctrine is don't point it towards the Sun unless you have to (photos will be washed out), which happens to be the direction the solar panel needs to face. That said, the little thing has been out for. couple years now in the same spot on Spy Point's free 100 photo/month plan and still works. So there's that. I've found that my model doesn't take nearly as good photos as the Tactacam nor does it trigger as well. Personally, I'd take my Tactacams all day, even though I pay for the data plan.

Reactions: Rayger143 and Coeus
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got a my first spypoint this year. First cellular camera I've had. So far I am pleased with it. Where it's at says there is very little cell signal but it still sends pics to me. I opted for the unlimited plan at $15 per month since I won't be using mine year round. I guess my only complaint is I can't see very much detail in the pics on my phone. That could be my phone though. I get the card out every week and put it in my computer to see the pics better.
HD0034
20230820 164416
20230820 164527

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Fa3ed900 b73a 4875 af30 73d0d34f8caf
B2ea78d4 8235 47e7 9266 4a5284aede2b
Fdc55012 df99 4a3c b722 360986ef4258
Ffcf0cca 4dbf 41f6 9dc9 cf6e017d9a7b
43cef218 698e 4a04 af0d 91fe4b21fcab

Asshole who stole my camera just to point it at a pile of birdseed. I leave the data package on so it continues to send me his pictures.

896e50e0 9f60 480b bcc8 eefc3154c29f

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Basic differences-

Reveal X-2.0:
-No GPS chip

Reveal X-Pro:
-Works on both networks
-GPS chip
-Has a view screen

As for batteries or charging, I used to buy lithiums for all my cameras. They lasted all season, but boy were they pricey. I bought a 250 pack of Amazon Basics AAs last year and they lasted for nearly my whole season. Much more affordable. You can also run solar panels if you'd like, or tie in a larger external battery if you so choose.
o
I have 3 Tactacams 2.0

Setup is simple if u can read - I use Verizon - it’s 12.50 per camera per month for unlimited photos - downloaded app on iPhone and worked first try

I don’t turn the video option on

I put a 1 minute delay on To limit pictures or sometimes the phone blows up with hundreds of pics of the same doe

Trigger distance is outstanding

Battery life is dependent on how many pics you want sent

I’ve had batteries last for months and also had batteries drain in under 2 weeks - just depends on settings - just use alkaline AA’s.

Kinda amazed at cell reception - I can’t make a call on my iPhone at my camp sometimes - but the camera will send pics and always shows 3 bars on antenna strength

my only complaint is the camera does not send all pictures - I’ll go to camera every couple of weeks - download pics to my phone and always hundreds more than what is sent
SYFW0070

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
my only complaint is the camera does not send all pictures - I’ll go to camera every couple of weeks - download pics to my phone and always hundreds more than what is sent
Sounds like a firmware issue.
Thats the beauty of the new spypoint cams, you can update the firmware in the field on your cam

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sounds like a firmware issue.
Thats the beauty of the new spypoint cams, you can update the firmware in the field on your cam
no clue - 2 are a year old and 1 is brandy new and they all do the same thing - not sending all pics -I guess for $90 a sale u get what u pay for

unless - it’s springtime - I left them on all year and after Xmas time all pics came over - my wild ass guess is it’s on their end somehow limiting data transfer

kinda a waste of money - I use the same stands in the same general area - private land - wifey asks when my phone starts blowing up at 2am if I’m gonna run to the stand - see if Mr deer is still standing there and if he will wait for me.

just would like to know what the pucker factor should be in the dark

IMG 9723

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Link micro LTE
Update it as in, buy the newest version. Thats an older one if the first gen cell cams they had. I had one. Worked good till it needed firmware. The pics were always grainy. Upgraded to the flex and its night and day all the way around.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
no clue - 2 are a year old and 1 is brandy new and they all do the same thing - not sending all pics -I guess for $90 a sale u get what u pay for
Firmware is the main culprit to these Fucers. I use one of my cams for gate security and had issues the same as you out of the box or would take rapid pics of nothing. After hrs on the phone with tech support, found it was as much a i though horse $hit, firmware. Can be out of date out of the box. Similar the standby gens I work on. Firmware is the leading cause of the internal glitches to the controls. Check there site and update often. Its a PITA when u have to swap the card in the field for this. Thats why im glad spy point with the flex had the ability to do the firmware update in the field.

Reactions: Coeus and Rayger143
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update it as in, buy the newest version. Thats an older one if the first gen cell cams they had. I had one. Worked good till it needed firmware. The pics were always grainy. Upgraded to the flex and its night and day all the way around.
Thanks I'll try that. They look great on the computer. Just grainy on the phone

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Firmware is the main culprit to these Fucers. I use one of my cams for gate security and had issues the same as you out of the box or would take rapid pics of nothing. After hrs on the phone with tech support, found it was as much a i though horse $hit, firmware. Can be out of date out of the box. Similar the standby gens I work on. Firmware is the leading cause of the internal glitches to the controls. Check there site and update often. Its a PITA when u have to swap the card in the field for this. Thats why im glad spy point with the flex had the ability to do the firmware update in the field.
u r correct - just found the tactacams have firmware upgrades..........

Reactions: Coeus and Rayger143
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
u r correct - just found the tactacams have firmware upgrades..........
found a boob tube on it, just download firmware, put on sd card, go to camera, upload from sd card with new firmware, power down, put original sd card in, go to next one......repeat

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks I'll try that. They look great on the computer. Just grainy on the phone
Did the same for me. I needed it more gooder on the phone than a computer

Reactions: Coeus

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!