Air intake mod.

J

JWolf

Nov 20, 2020
Ca
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking for info on modifying my 2020 Pioneer1000-5 LE air intake.
I have seen the factory system removed and replaced with a radiator hose with the foam filter in it.
I want to do this to give more room or a fuse panel . Is this a good idea or not?

Reactions: TxDoc
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen the factory system removed and replaced with a radiator hose with the foam filter in it.
I want to do this to give more room or a fuse panel . Is this a good idea or not?

I would not run this type of intake. A ton of water gets splashed off the front tires and up the fire wall. You would be sucking air from the same area that water rush's onto your feet through the firewall.

Reactions: Adam490 and TxDoc
R

RCarraway

Oct 19, 2021
Lake City South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JWolf, I just got a 2021 and am looking to do the same thing. I don't think the previous poster knows what you are talking about. Were you able to identify the type of hose to use... ? I too see several videos showing/mentioning it but haven't found any specifics about what hose to get. Thanks for you help.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I used. Very tight fit. Required stretching using channel locks in reverse. Used a heat gun to make the rubber a little pliable. In the end it worked for me.

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CRBPIW?tag=sxsweb24-20

I don't know why I don't have a finished picture of it installed :/ I have a fuse box added too under the hood. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

IMG 20211022 101150 IMG 20211022 101157 IMG 20211022 104919

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you adding a second battery? There's plenty of room to add a fuse panel without removing your air box.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I would not run this type of intake. A ton of water gets splashed off the front tires and up the fire wall. You would be sucking air from the same area that water rush's onto your feet through the firewall.

Wow, looks like the next poster is schoolin you on vehicle design.
Probably a bunch of onlookers have no idea who the hacks are and who is an experienced vehicle design expert.

Sorry for the diversion but this was too funny to pass up.

Reactions: Ohio4x4
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
JWolf, I just got a 2021 and am looking to do the same thing. I don't think the previous poster knows what you are talking about. Were you able to identify the type of hose to use... ? I too see several videos showing/mentioning it but haven't found any specifics about what hose to get. Thanks for you help.
If running this i would look to some sort of pre filter and splash guard todds not wrong i constantly had water marks running down that hose into the intake. I switched to the the through the hood set up because of it. We still have another machine in our group running this with no trouble but that machine rarely sees enough water to worry about.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for the mess. It's still a work in progress. I have a TrueAM isolator for the full size deep cell marine battery under my driver seat. This is the fuse block I used bolted to the main battery strap

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089NQQPRW?tag=sxsweb24-20

I don't know if I would recommend it. I am getting surface rust on the screws. I am not sure if blue seas would be a better bet.

I have alot more electrical to run and then I hope to go back thru and "wire harness" all of my add-ons.

I do not have a pre filter yet but I would like to get one.

IMG 20211110 073130 IMG 20211110 073134 IMG 20211110 073138

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, looks like the next poster is schoolin you on vehicle design.
Probably a bunch of onlookers have no idea who the hacks are and who is an experienced vehicle design expert.

Sorry for the diversion but this was too funny to pass up.
Maybe it wasn't clear but a significant amount of water is carried up the back side of the front tires and splashes up the fire wall. Having the air intake tucked under the back side of the dash is creating a direct path for water to flow and splash into the intake.

I still wouldn't run the radiator hose but others have tried it.

@lee I don't blame you for finding that to be funny.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!