futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I know there's a sticky for this, but pretty much no one answered regarding the stock tire.

So: 'bump'!

My usage for the next couple of months is mainly field use, with light, easy trail mixed in.

Otherwise it's the usual Kentucky mix of gravel, dirt, rock, pavement and mud (I avoid mud when possible).

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know there's a sticky for this, but pretty much no one answered regarding the stock tire.

My usage for the next couple of months is mainly field use, with light, easy trail mixed in.

Otherwise it's the usual Kentucky mix of gravel, dirt, rock, pavement and mud (I avoid mud when possible).
Stocker, 15 PSI minium!

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hmm, 10 psi is recommended. What's your reasoning?

Yes it is recommended. Unless I am doing some agressive driving, I run 9 PSI front and 8 PSI rear for a little softer ride.

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
What's your reasoning?

Thanks, SILVER_ALERT. My query was directed at Smitty335. Seems like an odd response. Perhaps he considers my question odd!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Tire pressure is dependant on terrain.

Soft or muddy = low, maybe approaching 1/2 the recommended pressure.
If you go too low you will debead a tire.
But somtimes it's better to drive gently with low pressure than to be stuck.

Hard pack dirt, small rocks = medium pressure, maybe 7~8 psi.
A little bit softer pressure than recomended will improve the ride a little but you still have half decent handling.
Too soft and the tires push too much when turning or you might hit a rock and pinch a tire.

Rocks, steps and big roots or a heavy load = pressure listed on the tire placard.
The possibility of pinching a tire is increased so run more air to prevent that.
The ride harshness is bad but that is better than walking.

Reactions: JCart and futzin
Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'd experiment... I've ran as low as 4 PSI in the Winter and to 6-8 PSI summer,right now I'm running 10 PSI and run on the same terrain that you speak of.but i find it more bumpy rough,but rolling resistance is better...Lower air more contact patch.
Think I'm going back to 8 PSI...lol
This is all on stock Honda 25-10-12 Rubicon wheels and tires, 4 Ply..
Knock on wood there still holding up the abuse i give them.

Reactions: futzin
C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have learned to respect the factory engineers and the incredible amount of research and development that is done, if Honda tells me to run 10 psi front and 12 psi rear in my Pioneer 700-4 that is pretty close to a baseline I can live with all around, I am still not shy about lowering those pressures slightly when riding exclusively in sand and then having the capability to raise those pressures back when encountering rocky terrain. I am amazed at how much these tire pressures fluctuate with the changing temperatures, much more than a car or motorcycle.

C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I drive at high speed and super aggressive in rocky, narrow hilly terrain (western PA to Hatfield and as far west as the Iron Range in MN. I run 15 - 16psi on 28” blackwaters on the 2016 Pioneer 5 and 14psi on the 2019 Talon X With stock tires and I still pinch sidewalls. My style is high speed cornering, too low of pressure and the machine has no side bite and corners slow as hell like your on Ice. It all depends on your driving style, if your into slow play with a plush ride with a chance at bashing a rim or popping the bead then run low pressure.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!