100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have never been and have always wanted to go. I have a Benchmark road and recreation Atlas for Alaska and now that the stupid border is closed with Canada thanks to Trudeau(POS). So my only other options would be to take the ferry from NW Washington or fly and rent once there. I just have really no idea on where to start. Ketchikan, Denali, Copper River --who what where why and when.....????? Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated thanks
9FAF9FF7 5ED0 49E3 842F 89F1F23053A6 1 201 a

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The border will open, I've heard June 21st unless there's a second covid spike. I loved the desolation across western Canada and Alaska. IF the ferries restart, I think you'll be shocked at what they think the trip is worth. I was hoping to head back at the end of this month with the new Talon but probably not now and I'm old enough that next year's health isn't guaranteed.

A side note - on the IRV2 RV site, someone said that they're allowing 'straight through' traffic to Alaska, stopping only for fuel, no RV parks, boondock camping only. The problem is that Alaska is on a two week quarantine order but I'm not sure if that means you can still travel freely, maybe fuel stops only - surely no restaurant or hotel stops but that could change at any time.

Start packing, wait for the border to open, take off. Find out about Alaska's quarantine and yer set. The unknown is a part of the adventure. When I went in 2018, I packed and left, simply following the hood ornament, no plans, no schedule, no route, no clue - it was perfect. That summer's trip was over 38k miles, Key West to the Dalton Highway and Sept Iles, Canada to San Diego.

I zTcMFz9 XL

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
The border will open, I've heard June 21st unless there's a second covid spike. I loved the desolation across western Canada and Alaska. IF the ferries restart, I think you'll be shocked at what they think the trip is worth. I was hoping to head back at the end of this month with the new Talon but probably not now and I'm old enough that next year's health isn't guaranteed.

A side note - on the IRV2 RV site, someone said that they're allowing 'straight through' traffic to Alaska, stopping only for fuel, no RV parks, boondock camping only. The problem is that Alaska is on a two week quarantine order but I'm not sure if that means you can still travel freely, maybe fuel stops only - surely no restaurant or hotel stops but that could change at any time.

Start packing, wait for the border to open, take off. Find out about Alaska's quarantine and yer set. The unknown is a part of the adventure. When I went in 2018, I packed and left, simply following the hood ornament, no plans, no schedule, no route, no clue - it was perfect. That summer's trip was over 38k miles, Key West to the Dalton Highway and Sept Iles, Canada to San Diego.

View attachment 207147

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went to Alaska last year. I would recommend not doing it on the side by side unless you have a lot of time. One of the best things that I ever did was land on Dinali you can do that in a small town called Talkeetna

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have never been and have always wanted to go. I have a Benchmark road and recreation Atlas for Alaska and now that the stupid border is closed with Canada thanks to Trudeau(POS). So my only other options would be to take the ferry from NW Washington or fly and rent once there. I just have really no idea on where to start. Ketchikan, Denali, Copper River --who what where why and when.....????? Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated thanks
View attachment 207115
And he was never heard from again...........to be continued! 😂

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went to Alaska last year. I would recommend not doing it on the side by side unless you have a lot of time. One of the best things that I ever did was land on Dinali you can do that in a small town called Talkeetna
I read that you cannot drive your own vehicle into Denali and need to take a bus. With a dog makes that tough.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
in a small plane?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read that you cannot drive your own vehicle into Denali and need to take a bus. With a dog makes that tough.
You can drive quite a way into Denali NP (25 miles maybe ?) and well worth the drive - there's a tour bus for the last of it which I didn't take, too many people and I think reservations were necessary - I can't plan lunch. :oops: Seeing Denali is luck of the draw, 70% of the tourists are thwarted by clouds, me being one of them and I waited for two days. :(

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
in a small plane?
You can catch a charter airplane ride in a Cessna 185 or a Beaver out ofTalkeetna for 200-300 dollars that flys around the mountain then lands on the Ruth Glacier that is on the shoulder of the mountain at 8500 ft elevation. Then proceed back to Talkeetna. The whole journey takes 4 hours. I did it 15 years ago and it was the best money ever spent. June-August is the time to do it. The weather was perfect when I went. I’m sure the prices are higher now. Talkeetna is about 2 hours or so north of Anchorage.

L

Lburou

Dec 3, 2019
Dallas/Fort Worth area, USA
Ownership

1. 500
We drove to Alaska in 1982 in our motorhome and lived there 4 yrs while stationed in Anchorage.
The Milepost is the only tool you need to drive the ALCAN highway. Every mile and every point of interest is logged in the Milepost so you know what to expect and where to expect it. Fuel, campsites, and all the questions you will have on the way are answered in The Milepost. HTH

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alaska is best seen by air or water...leave your side by side at home. You won't regret it, it will turn out to be a lot of bother for very little gain if you take it with you. :)
Which poses a problem with a pet. Hmm. I could tow the pioneer to Idaho, ride there and live it with friends then drive the AlCan hwy into Alaska. Other concern is it was supposedly easy to bring a hunting rifle with you through Canada, but after Turdeau's last 1,500 gun ban including bolt actions, it may be a BIGGER PITA. I wish America owned British Columbia....f*** Canada and Turdeau!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which poses a problem with a pet. Hmm. I could tow the pioneer to Idaho, ride there and live it with friends then drive the AlCan hwy into Alaska. Other concern is it was supposedly easy to bring a hunting rifle with you through Canada, but after Turdeau's last 1,500 gun ban including bolt actions, it may be a BIGGER PITA. I wish America owned British Columbia....f*** Canada and Turdeau!
I have owned dogs all my life and have enjoyed them, BUT personally I can not imagine my life being limited/controlled in any way by my dog. My dogs are for my benefit, not me for their benefit. But I realize not everyone sees things the same way.

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
We did the inner passage last year. It was pretty cool, but it’s a big cruise ship. Not really my thing. The part I truly hated, you would dock in a town of ~3000 people, and depart a boat with ~3000 people. Along with 4 other boats of ~3000 people. So everything your are there to see, there are also an additional 10-15k other people also there to see it at the same time. My first, and most likely my last big cruise.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Plenty of places to ride in ak.
not so many are single machine friendly.
(no cell service and nobody around)

H

Hostile1

Apr 8, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Leave the sxs and come up! Riding here is hard unless you know the spots, those spots could be hundreds of miles apart. Been here all my life so feel free to ask any questions.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!