P1000 ALL Pioneer 1k owners cast your poll vote!! ***CLUTCH FAILURE TRACKING***

Had clutch failure? Cast vote for only vehicles you own!

• 1000-5 YES

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 1000-5 NO

Votes: 93 70.5%
  • 1000-3 YES

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 1000-3 NO

Votes: 28 21.2%

• Total voters
H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What caused the breakage concern? Reading posts on clutch failure or have you experienced other problems?
Got stuck in 2 wheel drive. When I shifted into 4 wheel it would not turn the tires. Yes I was in low range. After I got pulled out I thought bike was fine until a friend of mine rode it a few weeks later and said it was shifting funny. It would rev to a high rpm in between gears.

H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda told dealer to replace clutches , clean some sort of screen and do a few other minor adjustments. Said it would be like a new one when I get it back

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I wonder if aggressive clutch engagement extends the life of the clutch? Anyone drive aggressively and have early failure before 500 miles?
I tried to tell the squaw something like that about.............................oh, never mind.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Just talked to my Honda dealer which is the #1 selling Honda dealer by volume. He told me they had done 42 clutch repairs but they have sold over 2,000 units. He said the main cause is due to electrical issues low voltage not letting the shift motor not shift hard enough and not letting the sift solenoids fully move. All this is caused by low voltage after owners install to many accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just talked to my Honda dealer which is the #1 selling Honda dealer by volume. He told me they had done 42 clutch repairs but they have sold over 2,000 units. He said the main cause is due to electrical issues low voltage not letting the shift motor not shift hard enough and not letting the sift solenoids fully move. All this is caused by low voltage after owners install to many accessories.

I seriously doubt ALL was caused by accessories and low-voltage. I know of people that have had the clutch failures without the low-voltage issues. The electrical system was left completely stock and still had failures.

You must be talking about the Chattanooga dealership called Southern Power Sports? They are definitely a large volume dealer. They say they sell more units than anybody. However, the unit to them could be a generator, weedeater, dirtbike, street bike, etc. but I am sure that they sell a lot of the pioneers as well, we bought three from them.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Interesting... so you could in this senerio be stuck and using your winch creating a low voltage situation at the same time you actively trying to engage all 4wheels.. seems plausible no?

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I'm not sure but I think more clutch issues may be in northern states where cold weather is very hard on a battery

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
My dealer is Brookhaven Honda in Brookhaven Mississippi

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting... so you could in this senerio be stuck and using your winch creating a low voltage situation at the same time you actively trying to engage all 4wheels.. seems plausible no?
Definitely needs to be something every one should keep in their mind as they use their winches.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
They are in a very small town. They don't sell weedeaters or generators. They sell about 600 units a month most are ATV and fewer street bikes. Large companies come and buy about 30 units at a time from all over the states. They sell cheaper than anyone else. Over the years I have bought lots from them

Reactions: Jshell3
advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My dealer is Brookhaven Honda in Brookhaven Mississippi

Oh yeah, I know they are definitely a high volume dealer. I have no idea which one is more volume. There are several out there that claim to be the highest volume.

Reactions: Jshell3 and Ridem32
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I say it could be a factor, but not every case! I don't buy it! Now in my case I was constantly raising and lowering my snow plow, but my winch is wired to my yellow top optima!

Reactions: Ridem32
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
They have plaques hanging on their showroom floor for every year they are the #1 selling dealer from Honda. Honda don't even ask them if they want left over models they just ship them hundreds of left over models each year at a huge discount price. If they are out of any new model at any time and a customer wants it Honda will pull it from any one of there warehouses and ship it to them. They get what they want when they want it. Which really is not fair to other dealers but that's how it is when you sell that many units

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I say it could be a factor, but not every case! I don't buy it! Now in my case I was constantly raising and lowering my snow plow, but my winch is wired to my yellow top optima!

I'm not saying that low voltage is the reason for clutch failure just saying what he told me. But how do you charge your yellow top? If your pioneer changes it as it gets low and also charges your factory battery which battery gets charged up first? Both at same time? I really don't know because I only have the one battery with no winch etc. I'm all stock. I have roof and windshield. Just guessing on a cold winter day in the snow working a plow and charging 2 batteries I don't think the stock charging system can keep up with 2 batteries.

H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Exactly what happened to me , the bike would not turn the tires while trying to use winch. I definitely experienced a low voltage issue while trying to winch out.

Reactions: Ridem32
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm not saying that low voltage is the reason for clutch failure just saying what he told me. But how do you charge your yellow top? If your pioneer changes it as it gets low and also charges your factory battery which battery gets charged up first? Both at same time? I really don't know because I only have the one battery with no winch etc. I'm all stock. I have roof and windshield. Just guessing on a cold winter day in the snow working a plow and charging 2 batteries I don't think the stock charging system can keep up with 2 batteries.

Many of us are using battery isolators. If my primary battery drops below 12.7 V, the solenoid will break the connection between the two batteries. Therefore the stock battery will not drop below 12.6. I have all the accessories including the winch hooked up to the secondary battery.

When I put a heavy load on my secondary battery like winching, The secondary battery may drop below 12 V fairly quickly but the stock battery will Drop to 12.6 until the circuit is broken and it will climb back up.

After the primary battery voltage is over 13.3, it will reconnect the two batteries so that the secondary battery can continue charging.

These battery isolators a pretty slick and they're pretty cheap considering the amount of protection they give you.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Many of us are using battery isolators. If my primary battery drops below 12.7 V, the solenoid will break the connection between the two batteries. Therefore the stock battery will not drop below 12.6. I have all the accessories including the winch hooked up to the secondary battery.

When I put a heavy load on my secondary battery like winching, The secondary battery may drop below 12 V fairly quickly but the stock battery will Drop to 12.6 until the circuit is broken and it will climb back up.

After the primary battery voltage is over 13.3, it will reconnect the two batteries so that the secondary battery can continue charging.

These battery isolators a pretty slick and they're pretty cheap considering the amount of protection they give you.

I agree sounds like a very neat set up. But the stock battery is a toy for vehicle the size of a pioneer. I do like the 2 battery set up. If it's cold in the snow working a snow plow or winch and let's say factory battery is at 12.6 volts which means pioneer is charging the factory battery at that time and the 2nd battery falls below 12 volts then the stock battery is fully charged at that time it swaps over to charge the below 12 volts yellow top what is the voltage at that instant time as both batteries are hooked back together to charge the yellow top. Just seems to me that the pioneer would not have big enough amp alternator to keep up if your really working a winch or plow at full potential in very cold weather.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Seems like disminishing returns would take over.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The battery isolator will always break the current if the stock battery goes below 12.7 but it will always reconnect the batteries at 13.3. This means that it could switch back-and-forth many times in the event that you described but it is a relay and that's what it is designed to do.

In my opinion, it's better than the alternative which would be what Honda offered us. Having a winch and accessories tied to a single battery could really cause a problem.

One other benefit, if I leave my radio on or my lights on by accident and killed the battery, my stock battery will still be fully charged and start the vehicle. That's some nice comfort if you're far from home out in the woods.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
The battery isolator will always break the current if the stock battery goes below 12.7 but it will always reconnect the batteries at 13.3. This means that it could switch back-and-forth many times in the event that you described but it is a relay and that's what it is designed to do.

In my opinion, it's better than the alternative which would be what Honda offered us. Having a winch and accessories tied to a single battery could really cause a problem.

One other benefit, if I leave my radio on or my lights on by accident and killed the battery, my stock battery will still be fully charged and start the vehicle. That's some nice comfort if you're far from home out in the woods.

I do agree with you. But again if the second battery is worked hard and below 12 volts which could easily fall below let's say around 11.4. And the stock battery is fully charged then hooks them both back together and at that time your pioneer changes gears no way can the stock battery which does the shifting of the transmission be above around 12.2 volts at that instant could your clutches slip causing a burnt out clutch pack?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!