Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Found some old racing pics of my son racing R/C cars & trucks. I apologize for the quality of the photos, I took pics with my phone of old polaroid & 35 mm photos.

He was very good. We primarily raced for money. Most all the folks he competed against were adults, spending lots of money on their R/C vehicles. As a teenager, he made his money racing in the summer. Did very well. Normally we ran an Associated RC10 buggy and truck. Made our own chassis out of carbon fiber. Factories didn't offer them back in the 80's & early 90's. His longest win streak was 76 A Main events in 9 different states. Then he was T-boned while lapping the field and had to start counting all over again. Typically he would break any track record, be top qualifier, and go on to win the A Main of most events he entered. At one point, he was the State Champion for 4 different states all at the same time.View attachment 256637

View attachment 256638

View attachment 256639

Mountain States Nationals he won all four classes he entered and was top qualifier in 3 of them. Was a big surprise and wakeup call for all the Factory Sponsored California Teams! (above and below)

View attachment 256641

View attachment 256642

One of my favorites, North Dakota State Champion Truck & Buggy Classes all four classes that day.

Pretty Damn Good for a "KID" from South Dakota. If I can find the magazine, the biggest R/C Magazine at that time, did a center fold article with pics of The "Sammy Swindle" black Sprint car he raced down in Iowa. Lapped the entire field. All the 15 other A Main drivers were factory sponsored except my son.
He's in Heaven, wait'n on me. Lost him in a motor vehicle accident the end of October last fall. No offense taken for asking.

For the last 35 years, I've been helping elk hunters here in our state of South Dakota. Normally help 4-7 archery hunters and 2-4 rifle hunters every season. I prefer the archery hunting, that's my favorite. Last fall I helped 3 archers take bulls and one take a cow.

A good friend of my son's drew a rifle tag. My son came out to help us with the hunt. After 4 days my son had to get back to work 400 miles east. A bad storm was moving in, and he wanted to make sure his crews were prepared for snow removal. He supervised 32 men.

The storm hit us out in the hills early in the morning. About noon, I get a call from the Hospital Emergency Room. My wife fell back home, 400 miles away. She broke both bones in her right leg and dislocated the ankle. s***, It was snowing and freezing ice where I was elk hunting. I told the hunter I had to leave and get back home. I knew if I didn't get out of there right away, I would be snowed in for a few days. I left the hunter and headed east. Didn't take time to go back to the cabin. Left it open with the lights and heat on. It took me 12 hours to make the normal 5 hour drive, due to the ice and snow. Got home around 4 AM.

Around 10 that morning I called our son, told him Mom had fallen and got hurt. He was shocked I was home. Said he would pick up some fast food and bring it over for lunch. He brought the food and sat around visiting with us like he always did. Mainly talked about getting back to the hills after the storm to help is buddy get an elk. Also said he was having transfer case problems with his suburban. He had bought a refurbished case and was going to install it that night after work. Got a text from him later that night, saying he pulled the old transfer case out, went to install the new one, and realized he forgot to get new gaskets and grease. So he was going to put the old one in, just to get home. On his way home, something mechanical broke, locked the rear wheels up and thru the suburban into the ditch off a steep bank. The suburban rolled and he was killed.

Woops! didn't mean to go off on a tangent like that. I have to admit, it's been real hard understanding all of last year. I've been encouraged by all you folks of the NTC. The shenanigans, humor, and camaraderie have helped me relax and unwind. Crap, missed my point, I used to wrench on those cars for my son. Still got lots of knowledge packed away.
I’m really sorry for the loss. He definitely left with a lot of great memories. I can tell you were very proud of him. Hell I am myself and hadn’t met him. Awesome story thank you!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
He's in Heaven, wait'n on me. Lost him in a motor vehicle accident the end of October last fall. No offense taken for asking.

For the last 35 years, I've been helping elk hunters here in our state of South Dakota. Normally help 4-7 archery hunters and 2-4 rifle hunters every season. I prefer the archery hunting, that's my favorite. Last fall I helped 3 archers take bulls and one take a cow.

A good friend of my son's drew a rifle tag. My son came out to help us with the hunt. After 4 days my son had to get back to work 400 miles east. A bad storm was moving in, and he wanted to make sure his crews were prepared for snow removal. He supervised 32 men.

The storm hit us out in the hills early in the morning. About noon, I get a call from the Hospital Emergency Room. My wife fell back home, 400 miles away. She broke both bones in her right leg and dislocated the ankle. s***, It was snowing and freezing ice where I was elk hunting. I told the hunter I had to leave and get back home. I knew if I didn't get out of there right away, I would be snowed in for a few days. I left the hunter and headed east. Didn't take time to go back to the cabin. Left it open with the lights and heat on. It took me 12 hours to make the normal 5 hour drive, due to the ice and snow. Got home around 4 AM.

Around 10 that morning I called our son, told him Mom had fallen and got hurt. He was shocked I was home. Said he would pick up some fast food and bring it over for lunch. He brought the food and sat around visiting with us like he always did. Mainly talked about getting back to the hills after the storm to help is buddy get an elk. Also said he was having transfer case problems with his suburban. He had bought a refurbished case and was going to install it that night after work. Got a text from him later that night, saying he pulled the old transfer case out, went to install the new one, and realized he forgot to get new gaskets and grease. So he was going to put the old one in, just to get home. On his way home, something mechanical broke, locked the rear wheels up and thru the suburban into the ditch off a steep bank. The suburban rolled and he was killed.

Woops! didn't mean to go off on a tangent like that. I have to admit, it's been real hard understanding all of last year. I've been encouraged by all you folks of the NTC. The shenanigans, humor, and camaraderie have helped me relax and unwind. Crap, missed my point, I used to wrench on those cars for my son. Still got lots of knowledge packed away.
I'm so sorry for your loss NH2, like todd said I'm glad we can be of some/any help. One day at a time 👍 🙏

N

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
IMG 3774

Should explain this pic. My son was leading the A Main. In this photo, he was coming up on the back of the pack to lap them. Maybe 20' behind the rest of the 8 cars. That dirt off road track is 150' long x 50' wide. Tallest jump was 3' tall. Right there he was taking that "Double" in one jump. He could make that car fly! Fun to Watch!

You can see part of the dirt oval track outside of the off road portion. That dirt oval was 200' x'75'. His cars would hit 25+ mph down the straights!

Last edited:
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4

I’m sorry for your loss. We’re here for you

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
WOW! I broke another front axel on the ECX Temper, opposite side than the first, this crash was only 1.5 feet tall. Wonder if it was weak from the big crash?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!