P700 Another “need help” post

S

Smitty272

Nov 7, 2017
Butler Pa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello all-

I’ve been doing my homework since selling my Arctic Cat wildcat trail. I’m looking for a more family friendly buggy.

I have a few reservations about the 700, simply based upon my research.

Lower HP than most 700 motors.

I’m not overly excited about the lower top end speed, compared to other similar machines.

I found a base model for a really good price, the deluxe I was able to get for around $1400 more out the door, is it worth it? I like the idea of the paddle shifter for situations where I need to keep it in a lower gear, since it doesn’t have a true low range. I also like power steering, I’m not sure if this machine truly needs it ( opinions?)

The 700-4 ugly roll bar ( why is it different than the 1000-5)

The pros-

I love the idea of the additional seating for my kids.

I like the fact it’s not a huge machine.

I like I can fold the seats down and toss tree stands in the back, hopefully after that, toss a deer in it on the way back.

I like the Honda reliability.

The 1000 is out of my budget, if I decided to try and swing the additional cost, I’d look close at the wolverine x4.

I’m scheduled to go ride a friends 700-4 without power steering this week, I didn’t want to make a decision based on driving one solely around a parking lot.

Let me recap-

The primary use will be for hunting and trail riding with the family, there will be times the kids won’t be with me when we ride some longer rides, some include long sections of dirt roads that allow you to cruise at higher speeds. Other than that, the 45mph doesn’t bother me.

I started this search looking at the ranger 900xp, which in know runs really well, it just doesn’t allow me to take my family, so it’s out.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you-

Smitty

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Do not buy without power steering!!!!!!! The bump steer is pretty bad. It' the first thing I added to my 700. The paddle shifting should help some. The 3 speed trans was pretty good about shifting when needed. I do know when going down hill it would have been nice to be able to downshift as needed.
What are in the deluxe package?

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I love my seven hundo dash four! I don't think it looks ugly at all. I have the base model( no p/s). I mainly trail ride through mud, woods, hilly terrain. I love bringing my family along or using the bed to haul things. My budget would not allow me to swing the deluxe let alone the 1000. A lot of folks will say p/s is a must, but I do well without. One less thing to go wrong. I have had zero problems or regrets on my purchase! Good luck on whatever you decide!

Reactions: Phistry815
S

Smitty272

Nov 7, 2017
Butler Pa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the input.

My riding style fluctuates, I could be on a tight trail with tree stands in the back or on a 100 mile ride ( which includes a lot of dirt roads).

I’m a bit apprehensive about the 700, just selling a 700 wildcat, I enjoyed the power and speed out of that power plant, I am aware this is not an apple to apple comparison. I’m also familiar with the ranger 900xp, which also Getty up when called upon.

I just found a 2016 left over 1000-5 base model with power steering. Any changes with the 2016 to the 2017 model? I’m not sure I can swing the funds for it, just covering all my basis.

Thanks for the responses, I’ve yet to get one in the other forums.

Smitty

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
With the deluxe you get power steering, paddle shift, deluxe aluminum wheels and painted plastics.
We've had our 700-4 deluxe for about a month and enjoying it. The power steering is nice at low speed and especially when in 4wd. Bump steer is pretty much cured as well like Tramguage points out.
Also like he mentioned, the paddle shift allows you to downshift or hold the gear going up/down hills rather than random automatic shifts at in-opportune times.

Reactions: Max718
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Smitty272
Give offroad express in erie a phone call.

Couple small differences between 16/17 i believe, most can be installed by you. One that comes to mind that is 17 only is the trans remembering if you were in auto, manual, and/or sport mode before switching between drive/neutral/reverse.

S

Smitty272

Nov 7, 2017
Butler Pa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@Smitty272
Give offroad express in erie a phone call.

Couple small differences between 16/17 i believe, most can be installed by you. One that comes to mind that is 17 only is the trans remembering if you were in auto, manual, and/or sport mode before switching between drive/neutral/reverse.

Thanks, I will call them. I actually started looking and found a few 2017 models cheaper than the 2016 I mentioned. 15,400 out the door is a ton. When I started looking at these, it was because I came across the 2017 700-4 on sale for 9999.00 (plus the 690.00 fee, 7% tax and title) which ends up a little over 12k for a base model, no PS, etc.

This is frustrating

Reactions: Smitty335
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Smitty,

Whatever sxs you decide to purchase, think long and hard about making sure yours has power steering. I believe the 700 can be added after the fact. I haven’t come across an aftermarket kit for the 1000 yet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks, I will call them. I actually started looking and found a few 2017 models cheaper than the 2016 I mentioned. 15,400 out the door is a ton. When I started looking at these, it was because I came across the 2017 700-4 on sale for 9999.00 (plus the 690.00 fee, 7% tax and title) which ends up a little over 12k for a base model, no PS, etc.

This is frustrating
I'm the original Smitty Ha1 Welcome!

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
272 comes before 335... lol
So your challenging me on my home turf, and don't even have a S x S? HA! What are you considering? We have a P1-5 and loved it! I would recommend polymer skids, winch, roof and tougher tires to start with. The rest is just fluff and fun!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So your challenging me on my home turf, and don't even have a S x S? HA! What are you considering? We have a P1-5 and loved it! I would recommend polymer skids, winch, roof and tougher tires to start with. The rest is just fluff and fun!
Ow yea, there is a lot of great info on this site! And don't listen to anybody but me, all the rest of the members are sketchy.

S

Smitty272

Nov 7, 2017
Butler Pa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Your right, my math skills are horrible.

I actually started searching while I still owned my last SxS two weeks ago and ended up selling it in a day.

Whatever I buy, will be my 3rd SxS

I had the teryx 4, which ran well, just to big and the kids didn’t want to ride. So I sold it and went to the other end of the SXS world and picked up a 50” Wildcat Trail. Of course at which time both kids became obsessed with riding, go figure.

So, now I’m looking for a nice mix between the teryx 4 and a utility, which lead me to the pioneers 700. To be honest, the 700 will probably handle everything I need it for. I just like the idea of still being able rip around quickly, that’s a $3,000 problem I’m trying to deal with.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Your right, my math skills are horrible.

I actually started searching while I still owned my last SxS two weeks ago and ended up selling it in a day.

Whatever I buy, will be my 3rd SxS

I had the teryx 4, which ran well, just to big and the kids didn’t want to ride. So I sold it and went to the other end of the SXS world and picked up a 50” Wildcat Trail. Of course at which time both kids became obsessed with riding, go figure.

So, now I’m looking for a nice mix between the teryx 4 and a utility, which lead me to the pioneers 700. To be honest, the 700 will probably handle everything I need it for. I just like the idea of still being able rip around quickly, that’s a $3,000 problem I’m trying to deal with.
One of my best fiends has a 700, really nice machine. But I'll warn you, it's not a RZR, nor the P1-5's. The 700 is a great family rig, the 1000 is a great family rig with zip, still not a RZR! The 700 is a little shorter and narrower than than the P 1 and gets around in the tight woods easier. But when my friends want a jolt they jump into our P1. I didn't know you had other S x S's so you'll know what you will need for trail ready.

Reactions: junior1954
S

Smitty272

Nov 7, 2017
Butler Pa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m going to ride my buddies 700-4 later this week, I’m hoping for my bank accounts sake I really enjoy it. If need be, and I find a legit deal on a 1000-5 I will go that route. I’m trying to also stick with the 700, as it sounds like it will fit on my 5’x10 trailer. The 1000-5 won’t.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m going to ride my buddies 700-4 later this week, I’m hoping for my bank accounts sake I really enjoy it. If need be, and I find a legit deal on a 1000-5 I will go that route. I’m trying to also stick with the 700, as it sounds like it will fit on my 5’x10 trailer. The 1000-5 won’t.
I think you'll like the 700!

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, Ithe have P700-2 Deluxe and it was a perfect decision for me. Just me and the wife riding (and 2 little dogs) and the machine goes anywhere I point it. Works good in tighter trails and does chores around the house. Reliable . Easy to maintain. Comfortable to ride. I am very glad I decided on the Deluxe model with paddle shifters and power steering.
T

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
1000 or a year from now you'll be looking for your 4th one.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4

This is frustrating
That 9999.00 price is for the base model, that I looked at (affordable for me)! I chose to go with deluxe model and glad, that I did.

S

Smitty272

Nov 7, 2017
Butler Pa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello all-

I’ve been doing my homework since selling my Arctic Cat wildcat trail. I’m looking for a more family friendly buggy.

I have a few reservations about the 700, simply based upon my research.

Lower HP than most 700 motors.

I’m not overly excited about the lower top end speed, compared to other similar machines.

I found a base model for a really good price, the deluxe I was able to get for around $1400 more out the door, is it worth it? I like the idea of the paddle shifter for situations where I need to keep it in a lower gear, since it doesn’t have a true low range. I also like power steering, I’m not sure if this machine truly needs it ( opinions?)

The 700-4 ugly roll bar ( why is it different than the 1000-5)

The pros-

I love the idea of the additional seating for my kids.

I like the fact it’s not a huge machine.

I like I can fold the seats down and toss tree stands in the back, hopefully after that, toss a deer in it on the way back.

I like the Honda reliability.

The 1000 is out of my budget, if I decided to try and swing the additional cost, I’d look close at the wolverine x4.

I’m scheduled to go ride a friends 700-4 without power steering this week, I didn’t want to make a decision based on driving one solely around a parking lot.

Let me recap-

The primary use will be for hunting and trail riding with the family, there will be times the kids won’t be with me when we ride some longer rides, some include long sections of dirt roads that allow you to cruise at higher speeds. Other than that, the 45mph doesn’t bother me.

I started this search looking at the ranger 900xp, which in know runs really well, it just doesn’t allow me to take my family, so it’s out.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you-

Smitty

Thanks for the input guys.

I just rode my buddies 2016 pioneer 700-4.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised, it seems like it has the power and response I was after. I even tested it on a long gas line hill climb, it went up without a problem.

His is a base model, without PS. The steering seemed pretty easy, or at least comfortable to operate.

With that being said, I do not want to test drive the 1000-5. My major question- is the deluxe upgrade worth it? It’s about $1,400 more for the deluxe unit?

How about the pricing-

2017 base model 700-4 = $11,596 OTD

2017 deluxe 700-4= $13,000 OTD

Are those good prices?

Thanks again,

Smitty

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!