P1000 Another dual battery question

tigerbite84

tigerbite84

Jun 6, 2021
Reinholds, PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi all, I just bought a 2022 Pioneer Trail edition 1000-5. It came with the factory winch. I did some searching on the dual battery that most folks add the 2nd battery for winch and other accessories. I have the Honda OEM plow coming to a dealer. I plan to use the plow for snow this year for our long driveway. I know in the past, I had a plow on a Polaris 800X2 and when I was working the plow with the winch, it died on me.

My question, will the stock battery hold up with winching and plowing? Do I need a second battery, if so do people move their factory winch to the 2nd? Like I said, I did some searching, not sure if people move their factory winch to a 2nd battery. I understand I'll get a lot of answers of, "it depends", but I'd like to hear what others are doing. I dont have any immediate plans of adding a lot of accessories yet (light bars, other lights). I dont plan on adding any sound bars. It's mainly for work around the house....for now.

Thanks!

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The first year plowing snow with a new battery, it might keep up.
But why take the chance of slipping clutches with low voltage. VERY BAD!!!
Yes, move the winch to your secondary battery for plowing snow, and isolate them
Setup like this thread from @RobSparre and you will be good.
Pioneer 1000 dual battery install with video
Have a good day

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
you need to post pictures of your machine - its a rule I learned on this site.

answer is - it depends........

what died, battery or winch?

I've plowed with winches on kingquads, pioneers, rzrs all on single battery - it seemed the rpm's kept the battery sufficiently charged and never had any issues, yes the lights would dim every now and then raising the plow with the winch. I doubt raising the winch a couple of inches every now and then is an issue, long driveway - even better. I just winched out a small stump an hour ago with my 20+ year old? king quad 300 that has a single battery - it did not kill the battery and yes the engine was running. The fact the OEM's supply a winch and single battery should tell you something.

on the flip side, many, many others will suggest 2 batteries, isolators, etc. - nothing wrong with it, its a primo method

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I've plowed with winches on kingquads, pioneers, rzrs all on single battery - it seemed the rpm's kept the battery sufficiently charged and never had any issues, yes the lights would dim every now and then raising the plow with the winch. I doubt raising the winch a couple of inches every now and then is an issue, long driveway - even better. I just winched out a small stump an hour ago with my 20+ year old? king quad 300 that has a single battery - it did not kill the battery and yes the engine was running. The fact the OEM's supply a winch and single battery should tell you something.

on the flip side, many, many others will suggest 2 batteries, isolators, etc. - nothing wrong with it, its a primo method
@tigerbite84 alll this ☝️☝️☝️☝️
And fo sho on the pics! The most important thing in his statement!

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
He did already 👍 , but if you read his thread, it sure took him long enough. haha!!
Have a good day

tigerbite84

tigerbite84

Jun 6, 2021
Reinholds, PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
yes, I posted it in the new member section. Here it is again. 5 miles on it, just got it last week. 71dbaa90b5de4db3662a0600715b9895
20221125 134453

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

tigerbite84

tigerbite84

Jun 6, 2021
Reinholds, PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

yea, battery died just from raising and lowering the winch. The engine was running as well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
As for the second battery and clutch issues.
Make sure you are stopped when you winch. This will help prevent pulling high amps draw while engaging the clutch solenoids.
As long as you do this, you dont need a second battery.
But if you are engaging the clutch off/on while winching you risk the solenoides not having enough voltage to latch 100%.

Well, that's the theory anyways.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With no load, just winding in the rope, a 4,500 pound winch will draw about 25 amps or so. At max load it will draw 200 - 250 amps. I installed a second battery and True battery isolator near first thing. True, the motor alternator can help some, and can put out roughly 50 amps, but that's with the engine rpms up, not at idle. The machine will be using some of that current too. You may not be able to count on the engine's help in all situations. Having a second battery is prudent.

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
related related to your question because you tell me how much you paid for your Trail Edition? Before taxes or accessories not included with it

Reactions: Smitty335
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is key when plowing snow. We've been getting walloped and the blade is winch-lifting a lot of weight getting out of the snow.
Huh... what... wait a sec...
I was taught, with a winch, to ALWAYS back up a smidge away from the pile BEFORE lifting the blade. Unless you are running hydraulics, then lift away.
You can see what I mean in the first 20 seconds in one of my plowing vids.
Granted, I did not need to with that little of snow, but stay in the habit, and less breakage.
Have a good day

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Huh... what... wait a sec...
I was taught, with a winch, to ALWAYS back up a smidge away from the pile BEFORE lifting the blade. Unless you are running hydraulics, then lift away.
You can see what I mean in the first 20 seconds in one of my plowing vids.
Granted, I did not need to with that little of snow, but stay in the habit, and less breakage.
Have a good day
You are right and that's the best way to do it when you can.
But when the pile you're pushing into is several feet high and your driveway is crowding in, you have to start lifting while pushing to get the blade and wave of snow to float up and stack on top.

I have a KFI pulley mounted high on the back of the blade. This is the mount.

It's attached to a bar of allthread right up by the orange warning label between the springs. (I drilled out the two holes a bit for a bigger diameter.)

The winch wire rope loops through the pulley and is hooked back to the front bumper. It increases the leverage and keeps a better cable angle out of the fairlead. Sorry, will have to add better pictures when I get back to my cabin.

But when the snow's taller than my 4Runner, on 33's, with a 3" lift, I can't just ram the snow into the pile.
The above winter photo is old (this year is worse), but this is what I'm talking about Willis.

I can see the top lifts at Snowbird, Park City and Deer Valley from this driveway. We're getting tons of snow this year.

The 4 ski resorts with the most snow in the country are all in Utah​

Utah living up to its claim of having ‘greatest snow on earth’ this winter​

By Kyle Dunphey
Jan 11, 2023, 4:56pm MST

👍✌️:)

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK, yep understand now. Everyplace has it's own problems.
I am lucky enough to have plenty of space to push the snow.
Snow plow area

Have you ever thought about switching to a strap in winter?
Even though this vid is about my dog leash pull to release the plow pivot, you can see the 2" strap that I use.
I had never broken my winch line, but I figured the strap was stronger.
Have a good day

Reactions: Smitty335
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've considered a strap, which would be better for the plow. And I already have a good stock of old tie-down straps that would be perfect for the job. But I've decided to stick with the winch wire rope because even though my Pioneer is primarily used around my cabin in winter, I still get deep in southern Utah quite a bit year-round where I need to have the full 50' line for recovery or for the general get over the damn obstacle work.

I haven't done it with my own machine, but I've been steering from the outside as someone winched their rig over a significant cliff to drop it out on the talus slope and out below. Pretty long drops and scary below.

It would take too much time to switch back and forth between a wire line and a strap for my use.

BUT - because I know I'm putting excess wear on the first few feet of the wire line, I carry three u-bolt cable clamps in my under-seat tool kit. If thing's looked dicey or if the line broke, I can short-shank it and still use the hook. After 6 years with the Teryx 4 below (and a SuperWinch Terra 45), I'd cut off the first 8 feet of wire line. Not too much to lose over that amount of time and lifting.

And a whole-stock see what you're saying on the space to push the snow and the plan you show above.

My story below explains the high snowpiles on the sides of my driveway (which are shown above). I used to plow my driveway as wide as I could early in the season to allow for additional snow. Now, I go high and narrow.

From several years ago, this is my Teryx 4 with a Terra45 winch hooked to the frame of my 4Runner to keep it from going farther off the false shoulder I'd plowed on that same huggin driveway. If you look closely, you can see how far the front passenger tire slid sideways to put me almost all the way off the driveway before I could hit the brake. What you can't see is that the driver side front tire off to the right was dumb-_ss luckily hung up on a tree stump. If I had missed or tried to pull forward or back, I would have rolled it, no doubt. There was a steeper 2-foot drop if I'd missed the tree trunk.

I didn't have a tie down point to anchor the back of the Teryx 4, and it didn't have enough weight/traction to pull my 4Runner back up onto the driveway. The Xterra couldn't get to the side to pull. Couldn't pull back or I'd roll.

I reluctantly passed my Man Card to my son (in photo) and called a recovery tow truck. Three bills later, I was back on the road but without my mojo. 😰

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!