• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

P700 Another oil question...

Discussion in 'Pioneer 700 Shop Talk' started by Greeko, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Greeko

Greeko New Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    300 miles ago I performed the 100 mile break in oil change, putting in 3 quarts of Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil. All was great until I checked the oil a few weeks ago and it was reading half way between low and full. To me this meant it was low so I added about half a quart, putting it up to full. I ran it for 30-40 miles more and checked it again. Now it was below the low mark?! I added another half a quart, putting it half way between low and full mark. I made an appt. at the dealership to have it checked out since it was under warranty. Before bringing it in, I checked it again and and now it was touch over the full mark?!
    The dealership service dept looked it over and said it was actually overfilled, there were no signs of oil consumption or leaks. The tech said I shouldnt have added oil the first time because anywhere in between low and full on the dipstick is good. As for the second time when it was really low, the only thing I can think is it had just come off the trailer and was hauled about 40 miles. Maybe this effected the oil distribution in the crankcase/shared sump/torque converter? Has anyone ever had an experience akin to this? For the record, no I was not screwing in the dipstick.
    Also the tech told me the only times he has seen people have oil issues is when using a synthetic because the engine is designed to run off conventional and synthetic has a different lubricity which can give you funky dip stick readings. To me this sounds like he was trying to get me to buy Honda GN4 oil.

2. HondaTech

HondaTech Working For Mother Honda!!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Were you waiting anytime after shutting the engine off before checking the oil.

3. DG Rider

DG Rider Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    You have to check those things by the manual to get an accurate, repeatable reading.
    Start the engine and let it run 5 minutes (10 if below...50 degrees, if I remember). Do NOT snap or rev the engine during this time (straight from the factory service manual).
    Shut it off and wait approx 2 minutes and check the level.

Russ989 likes this.
  4. JimmyA

JimmyA Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    "Also the tech told me the only times he has seen people have oil issues is when using a synthetic because the engine is designed to run off conventional"
    Almost caused me to have "Back Spasms" from laughing so hard! Because you changed the oil yourself, only you know much oil was installed after draining. Just chalk it up as a learning experience!

Russ989 likes this.
  5. Russ989

Russ989 #YammerHammer
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    700-4
    Mudwing likes this.