BOX1

P700 Another oil question...

G

Greeko

May 4, 2019
Bear creek, wi
Ownership

1. 700-4
300 miles ago I performed the 100 mile break in oil change, putting in 3 quarts of Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil. All was great until I checked the oil a few weeks ago and it was reading half way between low and full. To me this meant it was low so I added about half a quart, putting it up to full. I ran it for 30-40 miles more and checked it again. Now it was below the low mark?! I added another half a quart, putting it half way between low and full mark. I made an appt. at the dealership to have it checked out since it was under warranty. Before bringing it in, I checked it again and and now it was touch over the full mark?!
The dealership service dept looked it over and said it was actually overfilled, there were no signs of oil consumption or leaks. The tech said I shouldnt have added oil the first time because anywhere in between low and full on the dipstick is good. As for the second time when it was really low, the only thing I can think is it had just come off the trailer and was hauled about 40 miles. Maybe this effected the oil distribution in the crankcase/shared sump/torque converter? Has anyone ever had an experience akin to this? For the record, no I was not screwing in the dipstick.
Also the tech told me the only times he has seen people have oil issues is when using a synthetic because the engine is designed to run off conventional and synthetic has a different lubricity which can give you funky dip stick readings. To me this sounds like he was trying to get me to buy Honda GN4 oil.

H

HondaTech

Were you waiting anytime after shutting the engine off before checking the oil.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You have to check those things by the manual to get an accurate, repeatable reading.
Start the engine and let it run 5 minutes (10 if below...50 degrees, if I remember). Do NOT snap or rev the engine during this time (straight from the factory service manual).
Shut it off and wait approx 2 minutes and check the level.

Reactions: Russ989
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
"Also the tech told me the only times he has seen people have oil issues is when using a synthetic because the engine is designed to run off conventional"
Almost caused me to have "Back Spasms" from laughing so hard! Because you changed the oil yourself, only you know much oil was installed after draining. Just chalk it up as a learning experience!

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Also the tech told me the only times he has seen people have oil issues is when using a synthetic because the engine is designed to run off conventional"
Almost caused me to have "Back Spasms" from laughing so hard! Because you changed the oil yourself, only you know much oil was installed after draining. Just chalk it up as a learning experience!
That’s funny. I called Honda and specifically asked if I could use Honda pro full synthetic and they said yes. o_O:rolleyes:;)

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!