Anti-theft question????

M

Moonshine

Sep 9, 2016
East Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
A simple and easy deterrent is a padlock with the shackle placed through one of the holes in the rear brake rotor.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Best theft deterrent is owning a cougar.
No one wants to ruin their Crystal Gail shirt.
72FE1824 8B20 46C9 BE54 DE5A219C6532

PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Last edited:
Reactions: Rick53
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I cable lock the wifes with a steel braided cable, the type cables like we have at work when you wanna lift something heavy with a crane. They have braided in eyelets on each end. I use a big ass padlock. The theory behind this is that a thief cant cut the cable with bolt cutters, and the lock shank would be a b**** to cut because its so thick. However, nowadays battery tools are so common a well prepared thief could cut the cable or lock with a Milwaukee battery powered grinder with a cut-off wheel on it. I was thinking of getting one of those 12v gps locator things and hiding it away in the wiring harness somewhere incase it was stolen, but then I realized I hate the Pioneer 1000. It has gap insurance.
What do you hate about it?

PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Best theft deterrent is owning a cougar.
No one wants to ruin their Crystal Gail shirt.
View attachment 209313
I have looked at those, but they only list them for the P1k and Talon. I have a P700, but they look awesome for winching.
That makes sense because the 700 comes with a parking brake. But, If there was a way you could depress the brake peddle and get a pad lock on it, you'd be good to go. I recently sold mine and got a 14' P3 LE with 1100 miles on it. I loved my 700 but I just needed the extra room. The 700 didn't cook my right butt cheek like the 1000 did. Put a DEI insulation kit in and it helped.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
What do you hate about it?
Constant overheating problems, had to have the clutches replaced almost as soon as we got it, to the tune of $1339, I think I have to replace the clutches again also, but this time Im doing it myself. Wont go into low range, tried adjusting the shift cable that goes to the sub trans but that wasnt it. Apparently I have a bent shift fork or messed up gear teeth in the sub trans. I guess its a problem with the P1000s other people have had too. My wife has said many times she wishes she never traded in her P7-4 for this P1K5. I agree with her. I think we got a lemon though, because my wifes cousins both have P1000s and they put those things through hell and have only ever broken axles and a rear diff. Never any overheating problems or engine/tranny problems. I also know other people besides them that give their P1000s hell and no problems.

R

rickoshea

wow.that's a laundry list of issues.i beat the holy hell out of mine and so far i've only had to replace brake pads and a recall on the foot pedals.and the inevitable cable adjustments,but that's to be expected.i haven't even punctured my stock bighorns yet.

advertisement
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Constant overheating problems, had to have the clutches replaced almost as soon as we got it, to the tune of $1339, I think I have to replace the clutches again also, but this time Im doing it myself. Wont go into low range, tried adjusting the shift cable that goes to the sub trans but that wasnt it. Apparently I have a bent shift fork or messed up gear teeth in the sub trans. I guess its a problem with the P1000s other people have had too. My wife has said many times she wishes she never traded in her P7-4 for this P1K5. I agree with her. I think we got a lemon though, because my wifes cousins both have P1000s and they put those things through hell and have only ever broken axles and a rear diff. Never any overheating problems or engine/tranny problems. I also know other people besides them that give their P1000s hell and no problems.
Sorry to hear about your issues. The only problem with mine is the engine heat baking my buns. Put an insulation kit from DEI in and it helped but didn't eliminate all the heat. A friend of mine had to have his sub trans repaired. He was knee deep in mud and water in high gear automatic.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sorry to hear about your issues. The only problem with mine is the engine heat baking my buns. Put an insulation kit from DEI in and it helped but didn't eliminate all the heat. A friend of mine had to have his sub trans repaired. He was knee deep in mud and water in high gear automatic.
That took out sub trans? Was he shifting the transfer? I’d expect just clutches

PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
That took out sub trans? Was he shifting the transfer? I’d expect just clutches
It probably was just the clutches. He said sub trans, though. I don't know what he was doing exactly because I wasn't with him at the time. But, the mud I mentioned is thick, deep, and sticky and the water he goes through is usually over his knees after a rain. he goes as fast he can everywhere he goes, no matter what he's going through to get there. And he is almost always in high gear when he should be in low. But, he's hard headed.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yeah she always uses low on the trails and in the mud or water. Hell, you can go over 30 m.p.h. in low, there really aint a need for high unless on a hardpack dirtroad or highway, and she hardly ever is on those. I know what you mean about the baked buns lol.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I cable lock the wifes with a steel braided cable, the type cables like we have at work when you wanna lift something heavy with a crane. They have braided in eyelets on each end. I use a big ass padlock. The theory behind this is that a thief cant cut the cable with bolt cutters, and the lock shank would be a b**** to cut because its so thick. However, nowadays battery tools are so common a well prepared thief could cut the cable or lock with a Milwaukee battery powered grinder with a cut-off wheel on it. I was thinking of getting one of those 12v gps locator things and hiding it away in the wiring harness somewhere incase it was stolen, but then I realized I hate the Pioneer 1000. It has gap insurance.
LOL...just saw this.
Time to follow my lead and rejoin "The 700 Club".

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!