BOX1

Any electrical engineers here?

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Have some things I need to double check by and EE, me being an ME I know some, but not enough.

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have one here, but I won't call him out.
Jot down what you want to do, a few of us are smart enough with these machines to help you accomplish what you want.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
The gas pedal increases voltage the more one presses it. I’d like to wire a switch and resistor inline to reduce the sensitivity of said action. Switch could be normal, and eco or reduced power or something. I’m willing to do the R&D on it to get the correct resistor. I need to know a wording diagram, and any thoughts on this.
I’m not interested in bringing this to market but I’m sure it’s be a good seller.
I helped design similar items for the second gen dodge Cummins trucks. With a high idle mod.
Anyhow.
Thoughts?

H

HondaTech

So your wanting to alternate how much pushing the pedal tells the TPS it's actually moving?

The P1K also has a throttle pedal sensor, so youd have to do something with that as well. I think their referencing the Pedal sensor to determine if the throttle angle at the TPS is correct.

Honda does this on their electronic throttle models but they have full control over the amount the throttle turns since there is no physical connection between your hand and the throttle body.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Kinda yes. By adding a resistor inline on the signal wire, the ecu wouldn’t know your at 1/2 throttle only 1/4. And say full throttle would only be 1/2.
I know the drive by wire systems are great. And this could maybe be achieved via tuning. But I’m not wanting to spend 1200$ for the software and hardware to find out the option isn’t there. Where with the resistor on the signal line could achieve the same result.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The talon has a throttle cable, its not drive by wire. The only way to desensitize the throttle would be by mechanical means. If it's anything like the pioneer, once broke in and fluids changed, it gets smoother.

H

HondaTech

The talon has a throttle cable, its not drive by wire. The only way to desensitize the throttle would be by mechanical means. If it's anything like the pioneer, once broke in and fluids changed, it gets smoother.

So does every Honda SXS, I'm trying to wrap my head around this to see if ita possible. But I don't think it will be with the physical connection present.

H

HondaTech

Kinda yes. By adding a resistor inline on the signal wire, the ecu wouldn’t know your at 1/2 throttle only 1/4. And say full throttle would only be 1/2.
I know the drive by wire systems are great. And this could maybe be achieved via tuning. But I’m not wanting to spend 1200$ for the software and hardware to find out the option isn’t there. Where with the resistor on the signal line could achieve the same result.

If it could be done you would need to match the pedal sensor with it as well. Like I said I think their using it as a check/balance for the TPS.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So does every Honda SXS, I'm trying to wrap my head around this to see if ita possible. But I don't think it will be with the physical connection present.
If the throttle blades are manually open 20% and you trick the TPS into thinking it is at 10%, you are getting 20% air and only 10% of the fuel required and would be extremely lean. It would have to be a drive by wire to change it electrically.

One thing used on motorcycles is a cam shaped cable guide on the throttle tube. The initial diameter is small where the throttle wraps and gets bigger as you turn it to pull the cable faster.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
If the throttle blades are manually open 20% and you trick the TPS into thinking it is at 10%, you are getting 20% air and only 10% of the fuel required and would be extremely lean. It would have to be a drive by wire to change it electrically.

One thing used on motorcycles is a cam shaped cable guide on the throttle tube. The initial diameter is small where the throttle wraps and gets bigger as you turn it to pull the cable faster.

Also some older skidoo snowmobiles used a 2 stage throttle where the pivot point “pin” rode in a slot against a cam so the first 1/4 throttle was very smooth and the last 3/4 was directly connected to movement.

80a5cb9bd5ca8d5f24707787889f1eb7

Seems like the gas pedal pivot could be modified to achieve a similar result.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!